- Maggie Cheung
Maggie Cheung at Cannes 2007
Chinese name 張曼玉 (Traditional) Chinese name 张曼玉 (Simplified) Pinyin Zhāng Mànyù (Mandarin) Jyutping Jèung Maahn Yuhk (Cantonese) Birth name Maggie Cheung Man-yuk Born 20 September 1964
Occupation Actress Years active 1983–2004, 2009-present Spouse(s) Olivier Assayas (1998–2001; divorced)
Maggie Cheung Man yuk (born 20 September 1964) is a Chinese actress from Hong Kong. Raised in England and Hong Kong, she has over 70 films to her credit since starting her career in 1983. Some of her most commercially successful work was in the action genre, but Cheung once said in an interview that of all the work she has done, the films that really meant something to her are Song of Exile, Centre Stage, Comrades: Almost a Love Story and In the Mood for Love. As Emily Wang in Clean, her last starring role to date, she became the first Asian actress to win a prize at the Cannes Film Festival. Cheung is multilingual, having learned to speak English, Mandarin and French in the course of her life. Her native language is Cantonese.
Born in Hong Kong, Maggie Cheung traces her family roots to Shanghai. In 1971, she entered Primary one of St. Paul's Convent School. Her family emigrated from Hong Kong to the United Kingdom when she was eight. She spent part of her childhood and adolescence in England. She returned to Hong Kong at the age of 18 in 1982 for vacation, but ended up staying for modeling assignments and other commitments; she also shortly obtained a sales job at Lane Crawford department store. In 1983, she entered the Miss Hong Kong pageant, where she was the first runner-up, also winning the Miss Photogenic award. She was a semi-finalist in the Miss World pageant the same year.
Prior to 1988, her screen appearance was often limited to eye candy roles. One of Cheung's notable movie roles then is that of "May", the girlfriend of police detective "Kevin" Chan Ka Kui in Jackie Chan's Police Story series (however, she did not reprise the role in Police Story 4: First Strike or New Police Story). Maggie frequently cited her performance in the movie As Tears Go By (1988), her first of many collaborations with film director Wong Kar-wai 王家衛, as the piece that truly began her serious acting career. In Centre Stage, she performed in Cantonese, Mandarin and Shanghainese fluently, switching languages with ease. In Clean, she performed in fluent English, French and Cantonese. She is a polyglot as a result of her upbringing in Hong Kong and England.
Cheung was a jury member at the 1997 Berlin Film Festival, the 1999 Venice Film Festival the 2007 Cannes Film Festival, and the 2010 Marrakech Film Festival. And for the first time in its history, the 59th Cannes Film Festival (2006) used a photographic image of a real actress on its poster — that of Cheung.
On 7 February 2007, The New York Times rated Maggie Cheung as one of the 22 Great Performers in 2006 for her Cannes winning role as Emily in Clean. After 25 years of making movies, she decided to retire from acting to pursue a career as a film composer. She would like to compose music and paint, after fulfilling her acting potential. Her most recent film appearance was as Mazu, Chinese goddess of the sea, in the film/video installation Ten Thousand Waves by British filmmaker and installation artist Isaac Julien.
As UK's Independent puts it, she "turned her back on film" since her Cannes moment in 2004 and shifted her focus to philanthropy, making music, and editing. In April 2010 she was appointed as UNICEF's Ambassador to China.
She married French director Olivier Assayas in 1998. The pair divorced in 2001 but their relationship remained amicable. In 2004, Cheung made her award-winning film Clean with him. As part of her portrayal of the drug-addicted aspiring singer Emily Wang in Clean, Cheung performed songs written by David Roback of Mazzy Star.
- 42nd Berlin International Film Festival
- Cannes Film Festival
- Best Actress Award for Clean (2004)
- Chicago International Film Festival
- Silver Hugo Award for Best Actress for Centre Stage (aka Actress) 阮玲玉 (1992)
- 8th Torino Film Festival, 1990
- Jury Sepcial Award to Maggie Cheung for Farewell China 爱在别乡的季节 (1990)
- Taiwan Golden Horse Film Festival and Awards
- Best Actress of Golden Horse Award for Full Moon in New York 人在紐約 (1989)
- Best Supporting Actress of Golden Horse Award for Red Dust 滾滾紅塵 (1990)
- Best Actress of Golden Horse Award for Centre Stage (aka Actress) 阮玲玉 (1991)
- Best Actress of Golden Horse Award for Comrades: Almost a Love Story 甜蜜蜜 (1996)
- Best Actress of Golden Horse Award for In the Mood for Love 花樣年華 (2000)
- Hong Kong Film Awards
- Best Actress of Hong Kong Film Award for A Fishy Story 不脫襪的人 (1990)
- Best Actress of Hong Kong Film Award for Centre Stage (aka Actress) 阮玲玉 (1992)
- Best Actress of Hong Kong Film Award for Comrades, Almost a Love Story 甜蜜蜜 (1996)
- Best Actress of Hong Kong Film Award for The Soong Sisters 宋家皇朝 (1998)
- Best Actress of Hong Kong Film Award for In the Mood for Love 花樣年華 (2001)
- Hong Kong Film Critics Society Awards
- Best Actress of HKFCS Award for Comrades, Almost a Love Story 甜蜜蜜 (1996)
- Asia-Pacific Film Festival
- Best Actress Award for Comrades, Almost a Love Story 甜蜜蜜 (1997)
- Hawaii International Film Festival
- Award for Achievement in Acting (2004)
- 29th Montreal World Film Festival/Festival des Films du Mond
- Special Award for Exceptional Contribution to Cinematographic Art (2005)
- 10th Shanghai International Film Festival
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to Chinese Cinema (2007)
Filmography Year Title English 1984 青蛙王子 Prince Charming 1984 緣份 Behind the Yellow Line 1985 摩登仙履奇緣 Modern Cinderella 1985 警察故事 Police Story 1985 聖誕奇遇結良緣 It's a Drink, It's a Bomb 1986 玫瑰的故事 Lost Romance 1986 開心鬼撞鬼 Happy Ghost 3 1986 原振俠與衛斯理 The Seventh Curse 1987 天賜良緣 Sister Cupid 1987 心跳一百 Heartbeat 100 1987 精裝追女仔 The Romancing Star 1987 A計劃續集 Project A Part II 1988 應召女郎1988 Call Girl '88 1988 愛的逃兵 Love Soldier of Fortune 1988 過埠新娘 Paper Marriage 1988 雙肥臨門 Double Fattiness 1988 旺角卡門 As Tears Go By 1988 南北媽打 Mother vs. Mother 1988 月亮星星太陽 Moon, Star, Sun 1988 求愛敢死隊 How to Pick Up Girls 1988 警察故事續集 Police Story 2 1988 肥貓流浪記 The Nowhereman/Beloved Son Of God 1988 黃色故事 The Game They Call Sex 1988 流金歲月 Last Romance 1989 小小小警察 Little Cop 1989 不脫襪的人 A Fishy Story 1989 少女心 Hearts No Flowers 1989 再見王老五 The Bachelor's Swan-Song 1989 我要富貴 My Dear Son 1989 求愛夜驚魂 In Between Loves 1989 急凍奇俠 The Iceman Cometh 1989 神勇雙妹嘜 Doubles Cause Troubles 1990 人在紐約 Full Moon in New York 1990 三人新世界 Heart into Hearts 1990 客途秋恨 Song of the Exile 1990 紅場飛龍 Dragon From Russia 1990 愛在別鄉的季節 Farewell China 1990 滾滾紅塵 Red Dust 1990 阿飛正傳 Days of Being Wild 1991 志在出位 Today's Hero 1991 豪門夜宴 The Banquet 1991 富貴吉祥 The Perfect Match 1991 黑雪 Will of Iron 1991 雙城故事 Alan & Eric - Between Hello & Goodbye 1992 阮玲玉 Centre Stage (aka Actress) 1992 兩個女人，一個靚，一個唔靚 Too Happy for Words(short film) 1992 白玫瑰 Rose 1992 家有喜事 All's Well, Ends Well 1992 真的愛妳 True Love 1992 新龍門客棧 New Dragon Gate Inn 1992 譁! 英雄 What a Hero! 1992 雙龍會 Twin Dragons 1992 警察故事3: 超級警察 Police Story 3: Supercop 1992 三人做世界 Heart Against Hearts 1992 千面天王 Millionaire Cop 1992 The Enigma of Love 1993 戰神傳說 Moon Warriors 1993 赤腳小子 The Bare-Footed Kid 1993 東方三俠 The Heroic Trio 1993 武俠七公主 Holy Weapon 1993 青蛇 Green Snake 1993 飛越謎情 Enigma of Love 1993 東成西就 The Eagle Shooting Heroes 1993 神經刀與飛天貓 Flying Dagger 1993 追男仔 Boys are Easy 1993 現代豪俠傳 Executioners 1993 廉政第一擊 First Shot 1993 濟公 Mad Monk 1994 新同居時代 In Between 1994 東邪西毒 Ashes of Time 1996 甜蜜蜜 Comrades: Almost a Love Story 1996 迷离劫 Irma Vep 1997 宋家皇朝/宋家三姐妹 The Soong Sisters 1997 中国匣 Chinese Box 1999 爱在异乡的故事 Augustin, King of Kung-Fu 2000 一見鍾情 Sausalito 2000 花樣年華 In the Mood for Love 2002 英雄 Hero 2004 2046 2046 2004 错过又如何/錯得多美麗 Clean 2008 東邪西毒(終極版) Ashes of Time Redux 2009 Inglourious Basterds (deleted scene) 2010 全城熱戀熱辣辣 Hot Summer Days 2010 Better Life (short film, part of a video installation) 2010 万层浪 Ten Thousand Waves
TV Drama Year Title English 1984 畫出彩虹 Rainbow Round My Shoulder 1984 新紮師兄 Police Cadet '84 1985 武林世家 The Fallen Family 1985 拆擋拍擋 1985 楊家將 The Yang's Saga
Music Video/Music TV Drama
- 日落巴黎 Sunset in Paris (1989) Starring: Leslie Cheung, Maggie Cheung, Cherie Chung
- 穿梭梦里人 (1991) Starring: Jacky Cheung(张学友), Maggie Cheung
- 一場遊戲一場夢 Starring: Dave Wang (王傑), Maggie Cheung
- 半夢半醒之間 Starring: Alan Tam(谭咏麟), Maggie Cheung
- ^ "Miss Hong Kong 1983". misshkbeauties.com. http://www.misshkbeauties.com/mhk/1983/index.htm. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ - Miss World Previous Title Holders - 1983
- ^ "Annual Archives - Juries". berlinale.de. http://www.berlinale.de/en/archiv/jahresarchive/1997/04_jury_1997/04_Jury_1997.html. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ "Venice Film Festival (1999)". IMDb. http://hungarian.imdb.com/event/ev0000681/1999. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ "Juries 2007". festival-cannes.fr. http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/archives/2007/juryLongFilm.html. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ "Jury 2010". festivalmarrakech.info. http://en.festivalmarrakech.info/Membres-of-jury_a330.html. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- ^ Hirschberg, Lynn (2007-02-11). "Great Performers". The New York Times. http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F20D10FF385B0C728DDDAB0894DF404482&fta=y&archive:article_related. Retrieved 2010-09-18.
- ^ Flynn, Bob (10 April 2007). "Maggie Cheung : Why the Asian Star is turning her back on film". The Independent (London). http://arts.independent.co.uk/film/features/article2437462.ece.
- ^ "Maggie Cheung: Why the Asian star is turning her back on film". independent.co.uk. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/maggie-cheung-why-the-asian-star-is-turning-her-back-on-film-444101.html. Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- ^ "Berlinale: 1992 Prize Winners". berlinale.de. http://www.berlinale.de/en/archiv/jahresarchive/1992/03_preistr_ger_1992/03_Preistraeger_1992.html. Retrieved 2011-05-29.
- ^ "Festival de Cannes: Clean". festival-cannes.com. http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/archives/ficheFilm/id/4202812/year/2004.html. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- ^ "Maggie Cheung Okays with 'Basterds' Cut". China Daily. China Daily. 22 May 2009. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/showbiz/2009-05/22/content_7933941.htm. Retrieved 22 May 2009.
- ^ Gritten, David (06 Oct 2010). "Maggie Cheung returns in Ten Thousand Waves". Telegraph (London: Telegraph). http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/8045584/Maggie-Cheung-returns-in-Ten-Thousand-Waves.html. Retrieved 13 Oct 2010.
- ^ "Maggie Cheung". imdb.com. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001041/. Retrieved April 8, 2010.
- ^ "Maggie Cheung". chinesemov.com. http://chinesemov.com/actors/Maggie%20Cheung.html. Retrieved April 8, 2010.
- One on One with Maggie Cheung
- Maggie Cheung at the Internet Movie Database
- Maggie's Bio in The New York Times
- Maggie Cheung - Taking Chinese Modernity to the West
- The Zen of Maggie, The San Francisco Chronicle
- Maggie Cheung & Tony Leung - Glimmer Twins, Village Voice
- Maggie Cheung - Coming Clean, PAPER magazine
- Maggie Cheung - Resisting Hollywood's Claws, The Times
- Maggie Cheung masterclass at the UK Festival of Chinese Cinema: Cinema China 07
- Maggie Cheung - China's Garbo, The Sunday Herald
- Rencontre avec Maggie Cheung @dailymotion
- Historical List of Taiwan Golden Horse Award Winners
Festival de Cannes (Cannes Film Festival) Prix d'interprétation féminine (Best Actress) 2000–2019
Björk (2000) · Isabelle Huppert (2001) · Kati Outinen (2002) · Marie-Josée Croze (2003) · Maggie Cheung (2004) · Hana Laszlo (2005) · Penélope Cruz/Carmen Maura/Lola Dueñas/Chus Lampreave/Blanca Portillo/Yohana Cobo (2006) · Jeon Do-yeon (2007) · Sandra Corveloni (2008) · Charlotte Gainsbourg (2009) · Juliette Binoche (2010) · Kirsten Dunst (2011)
Golden Horse Award for Best Actress (1981-2000)
Sylvia Chang (1981) · Ping Wong (1982) · Xiao Fun Lu (1983) · Huei San Yang (1984) · Huei San Yang (1985) · Sylvia Chang (1986) · Anita Mui (1987) · Carol Cheng (1988) · Maggie Cheung (1989) · Brigitte Lin (1990) · Maggie Cheung (1991) · Lindzay Chan (1992) · Carrie Ng (1993) · Joan Chen (1994) · Josephine Siao (1995) · Josephine Siao (1996) · Maggie Cheung (1997) · Li Xiaolu (1998) · Loletta Lee (1999) · Maggie Cheung (2000)
(1962–1980) · (1981–2000) · (2001-present)
Name Cheung, Maggie Alternative names Short description Date of birth 20 September 1964 Place of birth Hong Kong Date of death Place of death
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maggie Cheung — (2007) Maggie Cheung (eigentlich: Cheung Man Yuk, chinesisch 張曼玉 Zhāng Mànyù; * 20. September 1964 in Hong Kong) ist eine chinesische Schauspielerin aus Hong Kong, bekannt für ihre Charakterrollen … Deutsch Wikipedia
Maggie Cheung — en Cannes 2007 Nombre real Maggie Cheung Man Yuk Nacimiento 20 de septiembre de 1964 (47 años) Hong … Wikipedia Español
Maggie Cheung — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Cheung. Maggie Cheung … Wikipédia en Français
Maggie Cheung Ho-yee — Not to be confused with Maggie Cheung. Maggie Cheung Ho yee Chinese name 張可頤 (Traditional) Chinese name 张可颐 … Wikipedia
Maggie Cheung Ho-Yee — Infobox Chinese language singer and actor name = Maggie Cheung Ho Yee tradchinesename = 張可頤 simpchinesename = 张可颐 pinyinchinesename = Zhāng Kěyí jyutpingchinesename = Zoeng1 Ho2ji4 birthdate = birth date and age|1970|3|20 birthplace = Hong Kong… … Wikipedia
Maggie — is a common short form of the English name Margaret and sometimes Magdalen and Marjorie. Maggie may refer to: Entertainment Literature Maggie: A Girl of the Streets, a novel by American author Stephen Crane Songs Maggie May , a Rod Stewart song… … Wikipedia
Maggie (Vorname) — Maggie ist ein weiblicher Vorname. Herkunft und Bedeutung Maggie ist eine Variante des Vornamens Margarete. Der Name ist im englischen Sprachraum verbreitet. Bekannte Namensträger Maggie Bell (* 1945), britische Sängerin Maggie Calloway (* 1910) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cheung — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Cecilia Cheung (* 1980), Schauspielerin aus Hongkong Chun Wei Cheung (1972–2006), niederländischer Ruderer Cindy Cheung (* 1970), US amerikanische Schauspielerin Jacky Cheung (* 1961), Sänger und… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Maggie Mui — Infobox animanga character name = Maggie Mui series = R.O.D caption = first = Read or Dream last = R.O.D the TV creator = voiced by = Hiromi Hirata (Japanese) Sara Lahti (TV, English) nickname = Ma nee, Mags alias = age = 20 (ROD the TV) gender … Wikipedia
Cheung, Maggie — (née Zhang Manyu) b. 20 September 1964, Hong Kong Actress Born in Hong Kong, emigrating to England with her family at eight, returning to Hong Kong and emerging as the runner up in the 1983 Miss Hong Kong Contest, Maggie Cheung moved on to a… … Encyclopedia of Contemporary Chinese Culture