- Southport Broadwater Parklands
The Southport Broadwater Parklands is a project by the
Gold Coast City Council. Feedback was provided by the public for the development of a master plan for the Parklands.
The objectives of the design have been to:
* Re-connect the Gold Coast
central business districtwith the harbour.
* Celebrate 150 years of Queensland as a separate entity from New South Wales.
* Generate a sense of community, regional identity and celebrate the history of Southport.
* Provide a events space to attract large events such as the
Gold Coast Marathon, the Pan Pacific Games, and the World Championship Triathlon.
* 2005/2006 - Background consultation.
* Late 2006 -
DraftMaster plan developed.
* July/August 2007 - Community consultation on the Draft Master plan.
* August to November 2007 - Design Development by EDAW.
* October 2007 - Discussions with key stakeholders.
* December 2007 - Final Master plan unveiled.
* December 2007 - Contractor (Abigroup) appointed.
* March 2008 - Stage 1 Construction begins.
* Late 2008 to early 2009 - Stage 1 completion.
Stage one will see:
*The great pier that extends 100m out into the Broadwater will provide views of Surfers Paradise, The Spit and Southport.
*There will be a events lawn, to host some of the city’s largest events including the Gold Coast Airport Marathon and Carols by Candlelight.
*This will also be a place for a picnic, to kick a ball, toss a frisbee, or simply relax and enjoy the views of the open Broadwater.
*A public stage with an large outdoor screen will be a spot to watch movies.
*The Pavilion building, with a rooftop deck offering elevated views, will have park information, public toilets and showers and bike lockers to encourage commuters to use ‘pedal power’ to travel to and from Southport.
*A new pedestrian crossing will link Nerang Street and the Southport CBD to the parklands in place of the existing underpass.
*Walkways and bridges will encourage exploration of the ‘urban wetland’, an of cascading water and reed-filled ponds that collects, cleans and filters stormwater before it goes into the Broadwater.
*A boulevard of fig trees will provide a shaded space, ideal for farmers’ markets, picnics and summer promenades.
*Coastal casuarinas will shady spots along the shoreline, for family gatherings.
*Unique artwork will be unveiled at the launch of Stage One of the parklands.
*A landscaped car park for approximately 200 vehicles.
* [http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/t_standard.aspx?PID=7276 Gold Coast City Council - Redevelopment of the Southport Broadwater Parklands]
* [http://www.goldcoast.qld.gov.au/attachment/communityconsultation/sbp_masterplan2.pdf Southport Broadwater Parklands master plan]
* [http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/03/21/1877366.htm ABC News - Council committee backs Southport parklands master plan]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Southport, Queensland — Infobox Australian Place | type = suburb name = Southport city = Gold Coast state = Queensland caption = lga = Gold Coast City postcode = 4215 est = pop = 24,097 (2006 Census) area = propval = $438,750 [… … Wikipedia
Gold Coast Broadwater — The Gold Coast Broadwater, also known as Southport Broadwater and Gold Coast Harbour, is a large shallow estuary of water reaching from the locality of Southport to the southern section of the World Heritage Listed Moreton Bay along the eastern… … Wikipedia
Gold Coast City — Queensland Gold Coast in South East Queensland Population … Wikipedia
Nerang River — View south at Surfers Paradise, 2007 Origin McPherson Range Mouth Gold Coast Broadwater … Wikipedia