- Conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman
Conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman (or conduct unbecoming for short) is an offense subject to court martial defined in the punitive code, Article 133, of the United States Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), enacted at 10 U.S.C. § 933.
The elements are:
- That the accused did or omitted to do certain acts; and
- That, in the circumstances, these acts or omissions constituted conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman.
Here "officer" is understood to include commissioned officers, cadets, and midshipmen of both sexes, hence the more common term conduct unbecoming. A gentleman is understood to have a duty to avoid dishonest acts, displays of indecency, lawlessness, dealing unfairly, indecorum, injustice, or acts of cruelty.
Statutory textArticle 133. Conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman:
Any commissioned officer, cadet, or midshipman who is convicted of conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.
- Similar charges exist in the disciplinary regulations of other services. Nigel Rees cites the British Naval Discipline Act of 10 August 1860, Article 24, as the first appearance. CUBO, or "Conduct unbecoming an officer", is used disciplinarily in civil police agencies also.
- An Officer and a Gentleman, 1982 film
- Conduct Unbecoming, 1975 film based on a play by Barry England
- "Ungentlemanly conduct" was a cautionable offence in football until 1997.when it was redefined as "unsportsmanlike conduct".
United States Military Judicial Authority
- ^ Article 133 of the punitive code of the UCMJ, local copy at Cornell University
- ^ Powers, Rod. "Article 133: Conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman". About.com. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punitivearticles/a/mcm133.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-16.
- ^ Rees, N. (1987). Why Do We Say ...?. ISBN 0-7137-1944-3.
- ^ FIFA: The History of the Laws of the Game 1990-2000
Authority StandardsManual for Courts-Martial • Conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman (UCMJ Article 133) • General article (UCMJ Article 134) Judge Advocate General's Corps (JAG)Air ForceArmyJudge Advocate General's Corps, U.S. Army • Army JAGNavyMarine CorpsUnited States Marine Corps Judge Advocate DivisionCoast GuardUnited States Coast Guard Legal Division Non-judicial punishment Court systemsTrialAppealDiscretionary
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
An Officer and a Gentleman — A Officer and a Gentleman Original film poster Directed by Taylor Hackford … Wikipedia
Conduct unbecoming — Conducting unbecoming may refer to: Conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman, an American military term Conduct Unbecoming (play), a 1969 play by Barry England Conduct Unbecoming (film), a 1975 film adaptation of the play Conduct Unbecoming… … Wikipedia
Conduct Unbecoming (film) — Conduct Unbecoming Directed by Michael Anderson Starring Michael York … Wikipedia
Gentleman (disambiguation) — NOTOC A gentleman is a man of good family.Gentleman or gentlemen may also refer to:People* Gentleman (musician) * David Gentleman * Gentleman Jim Carter * Gentleman Gourmand * Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman * William Gentleman Smith (1730 1819)… … Wikipedia
unbecoming — adjective /ˌʌnbɪˈkʌmɪŋ/ a) Not flattering, attractive or appropriate. She wore a rather unbecoming hairstyle. b) Not in keeping with the expected standards of ones position … Wiktionary
Ehren Watada — Infobox Military Person name=Ehren Watada lived=1978 placeofbirth=Honolulu, Hawaii placeofdeath= caption= nickname= allegiance=United States of America serviceyears=2003 rank=First Lieutenant (1LT) branch=United States Army commands= unit=G 37,… … Wikipedia
Michael D. Murphy — For other people named Michael Murphy, see Michael Murphy (disambiguation). 1st Lieutenant Michael D. Murphy, was a United States Air Force colonel, and was commander of the Air Force Legal Operations Agency. A former top lawyer in the Air Force … Wikipedia
Oakwood mutiny — Attempts at regime change in the Philippines (1970–2007) Civil unrest (1970) People Power (1986) 1986 87 plots Honasan s Second (1989) Fall of Estrada (2001) May 1 riots (2001) Oakwood mutiny (2003) State of emergency (2006) Manila Peninsula… … Wikipedia
Cavalese cable car disaster (1998) — Trentino (Cavalese is located about 40 km NE of the city of Trento). Date February 3, 1998 (1998 02 03) Time 14:13 local … Wikipedia
Lamar S. Owens Jr. — Lamar S. Owens Jr. was a student and quarterback at the United States Naval Academy. During his senior year, in 2006 Owens, 22 years old at the time, was charged with rape under the military code of justice.… … Wikipedia