- The Bible Code (book)
"The Bible Code" is a best-selling
controversial bookby Michael Drosnin, first published in 1997. A sequel, "The Bible Code II", was published in 2002 and also reached best-seller status.
Drosnin describes an alleged "
Bible code", in which messages are encoded in the Hebrew bible. The messages are purported to be hidden in the Torah, and can be deciphered by placing the letters of various Torah passages at equal intervals in a text that has been formatted to fit inside a graph.
Drosnin suggests that the Code was written by
extraterrestrial life(which he claims also brought the DNAof the human genetic codeto Earth). Drosnin elaborates on this theory in "The Bible Code II", suggesting that the alien who brought the code left the key to the code in a steel obelisk. Drosnin attempted to find this obelisk, which he believes is buried near the Dead Sea.
Drosnin's book is based on the technique described in the paper "Equidistant Letter Sequences in the Book of
Genesis" by Professor Eliyahu Ripsof the Hebrew University in Israel with Doron Witztumand Yoav Rosenberg.
"The Bible Code" makes numerous predictions and post-diction, such as the coming (at the time of the writing) of the
apocalypsein 2006, and "proof" that Lee Harvey Oswaldwas destined to assassinate John F. Kennedy.
Bible code, which has many more links.
;Promoting bible codes:
* [http://www.bible-codes.org/sars_bible_code-2.htm Postdiction of SARS epidemic] , from [http://www.bible-codes.org/ Numbers] , a bible codes website in
Scarborough, ON, Canada.
* [http://www.biblecodedigest.com/page.php/303 Postdiction of Christmas Tsunami] , from [http://www.biblecodedigest.com/ Bible Code Digest] , an apparently distinct website (but offering very similar material)
* [http://cs.anu.edu.au/~bdm/dilugim/torah.html "Scientific Refutation of the Bible Codes"] by
Brendan McKay(Computer Science, Australian National University) and others
* [http://www.math.toronto.edu/~drorbn/Codes/ Bible Code page] from Dror Bar-Natan (Mathematics,
University of Toronto)
* [http://www.ams.org/notices/199708/review-allyn.pdf The Bible Code: A Book Review] by Allyn Jackson, "Notices of the AMS" September 1997, who ascribes the "Statistical Science" paper mentioned in the article to "sloppy refereeing and poor editorial policy"; this review is immediately followed by "Comments on the Bible Code" by
Shlomo Sternberg, who calls this paper a "hoax"; the American Mathematical Societyis the professional society for mathematicians in the United States
* [http://www.math.toronto.edu/~drorbn/Codes/Nations/ On the Witztum-Rips-Rosenberg Sample of Nations] , by Dror Bar-Natan, Brendan McKay, and Shlomo Sternberg
* [http://www.math.washington.edu/~greenber/BibleCode.html THE BIBLE CODE] from Ralph Greenberg (Mathematics,
University of Washington)
* [http://www.csicop.org/si/9711/bible-code.html Hidden Messages and The Bible Code] from [http://www.csicop.org Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal] , publisher of
* [http://www.nmsr.org/biblecod.htm#drosnin2 Shocking New Codes Found in Drosnin Sequel!] , from [http://www.nmsr.org New Mexicans for Science and Reason] , more debunking by exhibiting silly "coded messages"
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/biblecodetrans.shtml The Bible Code] , transcript of a story which aired on "BBC Two", Thursday 20 November 2003, featuring comments by Drosnin, Rips, and McKay.
* Michael Drosnin. "The Bible Code". (USA Simon & Schuster, 1997. ISBN 0-684-81079-4) (UK Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1997 ISBN 0-297-81995-X)
* Michael Drosnin. "The Bible Code II: The Countdown". (USA Viking Books, 2002 ISBN 0-670-03210-7) (UK Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 2002 ISBN 0-297-84249-8)
* Michael Drosnin. "The Bible Code III: The Quest". (UK Weidenfeld & Nicolson, Forthcoming 2006 ISBN 0-297-84784-8 )
Jeffrey Satinover: "Cracking the Bible Code". Wm Morrow, 1997. ISBN 0-688-15463-8. Appeared slightly later, follows a more historical and traditional route.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bible code — A Bible code (also Torah code) is the notion that there are information patterns encrypted or coded form in the text of the Bible, or, more specifically, in the Torah, the first five books of the Hebrew Bible. The existence of such codes has been … Wikipedia
The Bible and history — Part of a series on The Bible … Wikipedia
The Bible and homosexuality — is a contentious subject that influences how homosexuality and homosexual sex are regarded in societies where Christianity has made a strong impact. The Bible is generally considered by believers to be inspired by God or to record God s… … Wikipedia
The Omega Code — DVD cover Directed by Robert Marcarelli Produced by Matthew Crouch (als … Wikipedia
The Bible with Sources Revealed — (2003) is a book by American biblical scholar Richard Elliott Friedman dealing with the process by which the five books of the Torah came to be written. Friedman follows the four source Documentary Hypothesis model, but differs significantly from … Wikipedia
The Bible in film — Stories from the Bible have frequently been used as a basis for films. It is attractive subject matter for filmmakers for several reasons: 1) The Bible has a large potential audience of interested Christians willing to buy tickets. 2)A story is… … Wikipedia
Internal consistency of the Bible — An American family Bible dating to 1859. The question of the internal consistency of the Bible concerns the coherence and textual integrity of the Biblical scriptures. This has long been an issue for Christians and Jews, who consider the Bible… … Wikipedia
Science and the Bible — The various books of the Hebrew and Christian Bible contain descriptions of the physical world in the Iron Age Levant which may or may not be considered scientific.AgricultureIn the Parable of the Mustard Seed (nasb|Matthew|13:31 32|Matthew 13:31 … Wikipedia
Third day in the Bible — IntroductionThe expression, Third Day, appears in several narratives in the Bible. (Occasionally, it is “three days.”) Some biblical interpreters have thought that some of these third day motifs have significance by signifying a certain divine… … Wikipedia
BIBLE CODES — BIBLE CODES, a system of inquiry involving the discovery of pairs of conceptually related terms in the biblical text using Equidistant Letter Sequences (ELS). The system involves choosing or finding a sequence of letters that make up a nameor a… … Encyclopedia of Judaism