The Karnak temple complex, universally known only as Karnak, describes a vast conglomeration of ruined temples, chapels, pylons and other buildings. It is located near Luxor in Egypt. This was ancient Egyptian "Ipet-isut" ("The Most Selected of Places"), the main place of worship of the Theban Triad with Amun as its head, in the monumental city of Thebes. The complex retrieves its current name from the nearby and partly surrounding modern village of el-Karnak, some 2.5km north of Luxor.


The complex is a vast open-air museum and the largest ancient religious site in the world. It is probably the second most visited historical site in Egypt, second only to the Giza Pyramids near Cairo.It consists of four main parts (precincts), of which only the largest, the Precinct of Amun-Re, is open to the general public. The term Karnak is often understood as being the Precinct of Amun-Re only, as this is the only part most visitors normally see. The three other parts, the Precinct of Montu, the Precinct of Mut and the dismantled Temple of Amenhotep IV, are closed to the public.There also are a few smaller temples and sanctuaries located outside the enclosing walls of the four main parts, as well as several avenues of human and ram-headed sphinxes connecting the Precinct of Mut, the Precinct of Amon-Re, and Luxor Temple.

The temple of Karnak is famous for its 134 massive columns arranged in 16 rows in the Hypostyle Hall. 122 of these columns are 10 meters tall the other 12 are 21 meters tall with a diameter of over three meters. The architraves on top of these columns weigh an estimated 70 tons. These architraves may have been lifted to these heights using levers. this would be an extremely time consuming process and would also require great balance to get to such great heights. There is a double row of sphinxes leading to the temple of Luxor. There are several colossal statues including the figure of Panejem which is 10.5 meters tall. The sandstone for this temple including all the columns was transported from Gebel Silsila 100 miles south on the Nile river. [ Time Life Lost Civilizations series: Ramses II: Magnificence on the Nile (1993) p. 53-54 ] It also has one of the largest obelisks weighing 328 tonnes standing 29 meters tall. [ Walker, Charles, 1980 "Wonders of the Ancient World" p24-7 ] [ "The Seventy Wonders of the Ancient World", edited by Chris Scarre (1999) Thames & Hudson, London ]

The key difference between Karnak and most of the other temples and sites in Egypt is the length of time over which it was developed and used. Construction work began in the 16th century BC. Approximately thirty pharaohs contributed to the buildings, enabling it to reach a size, complexity, and diversity not seen elsewhere. Few of the individual features of Karnak are unique, but the size and number of features are overwhelming. Construction of temples started in the Middle Kingdom and continued thro


The history of the Karnak complex is largely the history of Thebes. The city does not appear to have been of any significance before the Eleventh Dynasty, and any temple building here would have been relatively small and unimportant, with any shrines being dedicated to the early god of Thebes, Montu. The earliest artifact found in the area of the temple is a small, eight-side from the Eleventh Dynasty, which mentions Amun-Re. Amun (sometimes called Amen) was long the local god of Thebes. He was identified with the Ram and the Goose. The Egyptian meaning of Amen is "hidden" or the "hidden god". [ Stewert, Desmond and editors of the Newsweek Book Division "The Pyramids and Sphinx" 1971 p. 60-62 ]

Major construction work in the Precinct of Amun-Re took place during the Eighteenth dynasty. Thutmose I erected an enclosure wall connecting the Fourth and Fifth pylons, which comprise the earliest part of the temple still standing "in situ". Construction of the Hypostyle Hall may have also began during the eighteenth dynasty, though most building was undertaken under Seti I and Ramesses II. Merenptah commemorated his victories over the Sea Peoples on the walls of the Cachette Court, the start of the processional route to the Luxor Temple.

The last major change to Precinct of Amun-Re's layout was the addition of the first pylon and the massive enclosure walls that surround the whole Precinct, both constructed by Nectanebo I.

In 323 AD, Constantine the Great recognised the Christian religion, and in 356 ordered the closing of pagan temples throughout the empire. Karnak was by this time mostly abandoned, and Christian churches were founded amongst the ruins, the most famous example of this is the reuse of the Festival Hall of Thutmose III's central hall, were painted decorations of saints and Coptic inscriptions can still be seen.

European rediscovering

Thebes’ exact placement was unknown in medieval Europe, though both Herodotus and Strabo give the exact location of Thebes and how long up the Nile one must travel to reach it. Maps of Egypt, based on the 2nd century Claudius Ptolemaeus' mammoth work "Geographia", have been circling in Europe since the late 14th century, all of them showing Thebes’ (Diospolis) location. Despite this, several European authors of the 15th and 16th century who visited only Lower Egypt and published their travel accounts, like Joos van Ghistele or Andre Thevet, put Thebes in or close to Memphis. The Karnak temple complex is first described by an unknown Venetian in 1589, though his account relates no name for the complex. This account, housed in the Biblioteca Nazionale Centrale di Firenze, is the first known European mention since ancient Greek and Roman writers of a whole range of monuments in Upper Egypt and Nubian, including Karnak, Luxor temple, Colossi of Memnon, Esna, Edfu, Kom Ombo, Philae and others.

Karnak ("Carnac") as a village name, and name of the complex, is first attested in 1668, when two capuchin missionary brothers Protais and Charles François d'Orléans travelled though the area. Protais’ writing about their travel was published by Melchisédech Thévenot ("Relations de divers voyages curieux", 1670s-1696 editions) and Johann Michael Vansleb ("The Present State of Egypt", 1678).

The first drawing of Karnak is found in Paul Lucas' travel account of 1704, ("Voyage du Sieur paul Lucas au Levant"). It is rather inaccurate, and can be quite confusing to modern eyes. Lucas travelled in Egypt during 1699-1703. The drawing shows a mixture of the Precinct of Amun-Re and the Precinct of Montu, based on a complex confined by the tree huge Ptolemaic gateways of Ptolemy III Euergetes / Ptolemy IV Philopator, and the massive 113m long, 43m high and 15m thick, first Pylon of the Precinct of Amun-Re.

Karnak was visited and described in succession by Claude Sicard and his travel companion Pierre Laurent Pincia (1718 and 1720-21), Granger (1731), Frederick Louis Norden (1737-38), Richard Pococke (1738), James Bruce (1769), Charles-Nicolas-Sigisbert Sonnini de Manoncourt (1777), William George Browne (1792-93), and finally by a number of scientists of the Napoleon expedition, including Vivant Denon, during 1798-1799. Claude-Étienne Savary describes the complex rather detailed in his work of 1785; especially in light that it is a fictional account of a pretended journey to Upper Egypt, composed out of information from other travellers. Savary did visit Lower Egypt in 1777-78, and published a work about that too.

Main parts

Precinct of Amun-Re

This is the largest of the precincts of the temple complex, and is dedicated to Amun-Re, the chief god of the Theban Triad.

Precinct of Montu

Dedicated to the son of Amun-Re and Mut, Montu, the war-god of the Theban Triad. It is located to the north of the Amun-Re complex, and is much smaller in size. It is not open to the public.

Precinct of Mut

Located to the south of the Amen-Re complex, this precinct was dedicated to the mother goddess, of the Theban Triad, Mut. It has several smaller temples associated with it, and has its own sacred lake. It has been ravaged, many portions having been used in other structures. It is not open to the public. 600 black granite statues were found in the courtyard.

Temple of Amenhotep IV (dismantled)

The temple that Akhenaten (Amenhotep IV) constructed on site was located to the east of the main complex, outside the walls of the Amun-Re precinct. It was destroyed after the death of its builder, and its full extent and lay-out is currently unknown.


External links

* [http://www.bible-history.com/past/temple_amun_karnak.html Karnak: Temple of Amun] ndash Bible History Online, 2004.

Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Karnak — Karnak in Hieroglyphen …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Kárnak — Karnak in Hieroglyphen …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • KARNAK — Derrière leurs hautes enceintes de brique crue, les monuments de Karnak, qui couvrent plus de 100 hectares sur la rive orientale du Nil, constituent encore l’ensemble monumental le plus imposant d’Égypte. Pourtant, jusqu’au milieu du XIXe siècle… …   Encyclopédie Universelle

  • Karnak — (al Karnak,الكرنك, ciudad fortificada ) es una pequeña población de Egipto, cercana a la antigua Tebas. Está situada a unos 3 kilómetros al norte del templo de Luxor, cerca de la orilla del río Nilo. Es famosa en todo el mundo por albergar el… …   Enciclopedia Universal

  • Karnak — Karnak, IL U.S. village in Illinois Population (2000): 619 Housing Units (2000): 293 Land area (2000): 1.813181 sq. miles (4.696116 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.813181 sq. miles (4.696116 sq …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Karnak, IL — U.S. village in Illinois Population (2000): 619 Housing Units (2000): 293 Land area (2000): 1.813181 sq. miles (4.696116 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.000000 sq. miles (0.000000 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.813181 sq. miles (4.696116 sq. km) FIPS… …   StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places

  • Karnak — Karnak. 1) K. (Karnak Logone), Hauptstadt der nordafrik. Landsch. Logone (Sudan, Kamerun), 12 15.000 E. – 2) Ägypt. Dorf bei dem alten Theben, r. am Nil; Ammontempel (in den Ruinen 1903 4 durch Legrain Statuenfund) …   Kleines Konversations-Lexikon

  • Karnak — Karnak, 1) Dorf auf den Ruinen des alten Theben (s.d.) in Oberägypten; 2) (K. Logone), Hauptstadt der zum Reiche Bornu gehörenden Landschaft Logone (Inner Afrika), liegt am Serbenel u. hat 15,000 Ew., welche u.a. sehr schöne Kleiderstoffe… …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Karnak — Karnak, Dorf im Distrikt Luksor der ägypt. Provinz (Mudirieh) Kena, unter 42°57 nördl. Br., am rechten Nilufer, den Ruinen des alten Theben gegenüber, mit (1897) 9095 Einw. Unter den berühmten, teilweise wohlerhaltenen altägyptischen Tempelbauten …   Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon

  • Karnak — Kàrnak m DEFINICIJA selo na I obali Nila na putu za Luxor, leži na ruševinama drevnoga grada Tebe prema kojem se zove hram Amona …   Hrvatski jezični portal

  • Karnak — [kär′nak΄] village in S Egypt, on the Nile: site of ancient Thebes …   English World dictionary

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.