- List of Ulster-related topics
The territorial extent covered by the term Ulster may vary, reflecting the prevalent deep political and cultural divisions.
- The province of Ulster, one of the historic four provinces on the island of Ireland - comprising nine counties, six in Northern Ireland and three in the Republic of Ireland.
- Northern Ireland is sometimes referred to as Ulster, particularly by the unionist community, in this sense comprising the six UK-ruled counties only.
Political and paramilitary organizations, parties and movements having "Ulster" as part of their name are almost invariably on the Unionist side; military and police units having such names are often accused of a pro-Unionist bias. That is, however, not necessarily the case with names in other spheres including "Ulster". For example, Ulster sports associations and teams often form part of an all-Ireland structure and thus, while not overtly political, are favorably regarded by Irish Nationalists.
- The divergent meanings of "Ulster" are reflected in divergent flags:
- Ulster-Scots, an ethnic group descended from mainly Lowland Scots who settled in the Province of Ulster.
- Ulsterman/Ulsterwoman - in principle referring to any inhabitant of Ulster, in practice mainly used by the Unionist community.
- The Ulster Cycle - one of the four great cycles of Irish mythology, a series of legends surrounding the Red Branch Knights.
- The Annals of Ulster (Irish: Annála Uladh) - a chronicle of medieval Ireland.
- Red Hand of Ulster - symbol derived from Medieval history/myth and prominent in flags and coats of arms.
- Kings of Ulster
- Earl of Ulster - title created several times, since 1205, in the Peerages of Ireland and the United Kingdom.
- Ulster King of Arms - dealing with heraldic issues in the province, an office established in 1552 by King Edward VI.
17th Century History
Early Twentieth Century politics, military, police and paramilitary
- Ulster Covenant - 1912 mass petition against the Home Rule Bill
- Ulster 1912 - a Kipling poem supporting that Covenant
- Ulster Volunteers - founded in 1912 to block Home Rule for Ireland
- Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) - later development of the above
- Ulster Division/36th (Ulster) Division - formed from UVF men and fought at France during World War I
- The Royal Ulster Rifles, name given to the former Royal Irish Rifles in the British Army in 1921, following the proclamation of the Irish Free State.
- Ulster Special Constabulary (USC), a reserve police force in Northern Ireland, formed in 1920 and disbanded in 1970.
- Ulster Defence Volunteers(UDV)/Ulster Home Guard - recruited by the Government of Northern Ireland during World War II.
- Ulster Covenant - 1912 mass petition against the Home Rule Bill
Later Twentieth Century/current politics, military, police and paramilitary
- Ulster loyalism - a militant Unionist ideology held mostly by Protestants in Northern Ireland,
- Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) - paramilitary loyalist group founded in 1966 and claiming the heritage of the earlier UVF
- Ulster Defence Association - another loyalist paramilitary group
- Ulster Defence Regiment - formed in 1970 to replace the USC (Ulster Special Constabulary).
- Royal Ulster Constabulary - Northern Ireland police force often accused of pro-Unionist bias, merged into the Police Service of Northern Ireland following the Good Friday Agreement
- The Ulster Unionist Party (UUP), the more moderate of the two main unionist political parties in Northern Ireland
- Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster, founded in 1951 by the cleric and politician Ian Paisley
- Ulster nationalism - school of thought seeking the independence of Northern Ireland from the UK without becoming part of the Republic of Ireland.
- Ulster Loyalist Central Co-ordinating Committee/Ulster Independence Party/Ulster Independence Association - political party and paramilitary organization in the 1970s and 1980s
- Ulster Resistance - 1980s paramilitary
- Ulster Clubs - Unionist organisation in the 1980s
- Ulster Movement for Self-Determination - minor movement which emerged from the above
- Love Ulster - umbrella unionist victims' group
- British Army:
- Ulster Workers Council - a Loyalist workers' organisation
- Ulster Protestant Volunteers/Ulster Constitution Defence Committee - 1960s paramilitaries
- United Ulster Unionist Party - political party between 1975 and 1982.
- Ulster Army Council 1973 coordination of Loyalist paramilitaries
- Ulster Project - promoting reconciliation
- Ulster rugby union team
- Ulster GAA teams which compete in the Gaelic football and Hurling in the Railway cup
- Ulster Cup in Association football
- Ulster Hockey Union
- Ulster Grand Prix, motorcycle road race
- Ulster Senior Hurling Championship
Institutions and companies
- Culture of Ulster
- UTV, the ITV broadcaster for Northern Ireland (also widely watched in the Republic of Ireland), was known as Ulster Television from its inception on October 31, 1959 to June 4, 1993.
- Radio Ulster, a BBC radio station based in Belfast
- Good Morning Ulster - program of the above
- The Ulster Hospital in Dundonald, known colloquially as "the Ulster"
- The University of Ulster
- The Ulster Museum
- The Ulster Bank
- The Ulster Orchestra
- Ulster Hall - Concert Hall
- Ulster Transport Authority
- Ulster Railways
- Ulster Railway - historical (19th Century company)
- Ulsterbus - public transport operator
- Ulster Teachers' Union
- Ulster Way - series of walking routes
- Ulster Canal - 19th Century, presently disused
- Ulster Herald - weekly newspaper in Omagh
Place-names elsewhere, originally named in honour of the Irish province
- Ulster, Pennsylvania, United States of America
- Ulster County, New York, United States of America
- Ulster, New York, a town in Ulster County, NY
- Ulster Park, New York, United States of America
- New Ulster, the long-defunct name of the northern part of New Zealand
- Ulster and Delaware Railroad, in New York State
- Delaware and Ulster Railroad, in New York State
- New Ulster, a province in New Zealand (1841–53)
This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of United Kingdom-related topics — This is a list of topics related to the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom contains a more comprehensive selection of UK articles. United Kingdom, Constituent Countries, Dependencies and Territories*United Kingdom **England **Scotland **Wales… … Wikipedia
List of drug-related deaths — The following is a list of notable people who have died from drug related causes. Criteria for inclusion are death from overdose, death from organ failure/illness due to or exacerbated by drug use, or death from suicide/misadventure under the… … Wikipedia
Ulster (disambiguation) — Ulster is one of the four provinces of Ireland.Ulster may also refer to:* Ulster, New York, United States * Ulster (clothing), a long, loose overcoat made of rough material * Ulster F.C., a defunct football club * Northern Ireland, a part of the… … Wikipedia
List of Northern Irish people — is a list of notable people from Northern Ireland.It also covers * people of Northern Irish descent * people born in Northern Ireland who have since become nationals of other countries * people born outside Northern Ireland and later settled… … Wikipedia
List of topics related to Northern Ireland — This page aims to list articles related to Northern Ireland. For a list of topics related to the island of Ireland, see the list of Ireland related topics; for a list of topics related to the United Kingdom, see the list of topics related to the… … Wikipedia
List of trade unions — This is a list of trade unions and union federations by country. TOCnestrightInternational FederationsGlobal* General Confederation of Trade Unions * International Confederation of Free Trade Unions (Web page: [http://www.icftu.org ICFTU] ) *… … Wikipedia
List of New York state symbols — The location of the State of New York in the United States of America This is a list of symbols of the State of New York in the United States. The majority of the state symbols are officially listed in the New York Consolidated Laws in Article 6 … Wikipedia
List of conservative parties — Part of a series on Conservatism … Wikipedia
List of Coronation Street characters (1974) — Coronation Street characters 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 … Wikipedia
Ulster Cycle — Topics in the Ulster Cycle Ulster characters Amergin mac Eccit Athirne Blaí Briugu Briccriu Cairbre Cuanach Cathbad Celtchar Cethern mac Fintain Conall Cernach Conchobar mac Nessa Condere mac Echach Cruinniuc Cú Chulainn Culann Cúscraid Dáire mac … Wikipedia