- Dave Ramsey
Ramsey's syndicated radio program The Dave Ramsey Show is promoted with a tagline that "It's about your life and your money," and it is heard on over 450 radio stations throughout the United States and Canada, as well as on XM and Sirius satellite radio. He has written numerous books. His books and broadcasts often feature a Christian perspective that reflects Ramsey's religious beliefs. Ramsey was named the 2009 Marconi Award winner for Network/Syndicated Personality of the Year.
Ramsey's current company, The Lampo Group, is headquartered in Brentwood, Tennessee, and oversees three divisions geared toward financial counseling.
Ramsey has been featured on many media outlets including The Oprah Winfrey Show, 60 Minutes, and The Early Show on CBS. He recorded a pilot and six unaired episodes of The Dave Ramsey Project for CBS. He was the host of The Dave Ramsey Show, which aired at 8 p.m. ET and repeated weekdays on the Fox Business Network until June 2010. 
Ramsey was born and raised in Antioch, Tennessee. He was a 1982 graduate of the College of Business Administration at University of Tennessee, Knoxville. At the age of 26, through his brokerage firm, Ramsey Investments, Inc., he built a rental real estate portfolio worth more than $4 million and became one of Tennessee's youngest brokers to be admitted to the Graduate Realtors Institute.
Ramsey was a licensed insurance agent in the State of Tennessee from 6/18/1984 until his license expired in 10/07/1996. His producers license number was 0652539. His record with the state can still be found online by visiting the lookup for license services. .
Ramsey's success soon came to an end as the Tax Reform Act of 1986 began to have a negative impact on the real estate business. One of Ramsey's largest creditors was sold to a larger bank, which began to take a harder look at Ramsey's borrowing habits. The bank demanded he pay $1.2 million worth of short-term notes within 90 days, forcing him to file for bankruptcy relief.
Ramsey began counseling couples at his local church. Soon after offering private counseling services, Ramsey began attending every workshop and seminar on consumer financial problems that he could find. He developed a simple set of lessons and materials based partially on his own experience and on works and teachings by Larry Burkett and Ron Blue. In 1992, after many requests from his clients, he wrote his first book Financial Peace.
The Dave Ramsey Show
Ramsey started his radio show, currently known as The Dave Ramsey Show, in 1992 under the title of The Money Game. The radio show began on June 15, 1992. Originally a locally based show, it is now syndicated across the country. In 2007, the Fox Business Network launched a television show under the same title, but cancelled the show in June 2010. Dave also self-identifies as a devout born-again Christian. Many churches have adopted Dave Ramsey workshops for their members.
The Lampo Group, Inc.
Ramsey founded his company, the Lampo Group, in 1992, initially helping people one-on-one who were struggling with financial issues. In 1994 he hired Russ Carroll, Ramsey's lead financial counselor, and together they began teaching the first Financial Peace University classes on overhead projectors. Between 1999 and 2004, The Lampo Group grew from 18 to 105 team members. There are currently almost 300 team members.
Ramsey runs his business completely debt-free, an accomplishment he states was critical to the success of his company.
Financial Peace University
Ramsey is also the creator of Financial Peace University, a biblically-based 13-week video training series for adults, and a companion series targeted at teenagers that has been offered in schools across the nation. Some topics covered in the series are cash flow planning, investing, saving, credit, retirement, and giving.
"Share It!" is a foundation created by Dave and Sharon Ramsey for the purpose of working with other non-profit organizations such as housing initiatives, work to success projects, domestic violence shelters, drug and alcohol recovery programs, crisis pregnancy centers, youth outreaches, and high schools to help others become financially literate.
The word, EntreLeadership, describes the responsibilities of a small business owner as an entrepreneur (Entre) and as a leader (Leadership). EntreLeadership is also the name of a small business conference developed by Dave Ramsey. The principles presented at an EntreLeadership seminar are the core principles of how Ramsey grew his company, debt-free. EntreLeadership is available to small business owners in two forms; a one-day, abbreviated seminar, and a five-day master series located at a resort destination. The small business conference is personally taught by Ramsey and his leadership team.
The Nashville Scene has reported that Ramsey occasionally receives e-mails and letters containing the Bible verse: "And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God." (Matthew 19:24 KJV) Ramsey interprets such communications to be a rebuke of his own wealth and a call for poverty, and dismisses these letters as “doctrinal nitpicking.”
In 2004, Ramsey's column was dropped from The Tennessean and four other newspapers owned by Gannett Co. after it was discovered that the identities of those seeking help were duplicated or falsified in several of his columns. Ramsey attributed the duplications to a low-level employee. Ramsey offered refunds to the newspapers affected by the error.
Additionally, The Total Money Makeover, Financial Peace Revisited, and More than Enough are available in Spanish.
- Financial Peace: Restoring Financial Hope to You and Your Family (1997) ISBN 0-67-087361-6
- The Financial Peace Planner: A step-by step guide to restoring your family's financial health (1998) ISBN 0-14-026468-X
- How to Have More than Enough: A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Abundance (2000) ISBN 0-14-028193-2
- More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny (2002) ISBN 0-14-200047-7
- Financial Peace Revisited (2002) ISBN 0-670-03208-5
- The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan For Financial Fitness (2003) ISBN 0-7852-6326-8
- Total Money Makeover Workbook (2004) ISBN 0-7852-6327-6
- The Money Answer Book: Quick Answers to Everyday Financial Questions (2005) ISBN 0-8499-9619-8
- Priceless: Straight-Shooting, No-Frills Financial Wisdom (2006) ISBN 0-9774895-9-0
- EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches (2011) ISBN 978-1-4516-1785-6
- The Super Red Racer: Junior Discovers Work (2003) ISBN 0-9726323-0-1
- Careless At The Carnival: Junior Discovers Spending (2003) ISBN 0-9726323-1-X
- The Big Birthday Surprise: Junior Discovers Giving (2003) ISBN 0-9726323-2-8
- My Fantastic Fieldtrip: Junior Discovers Saving (2003) ISBN 0-9726323-3-6
- A Special Thank You: Junior Discovers Integrity (2005) ISBN 0-9769630-0-0
- Battle of the Chores: Junior Discovers Debt (2005) ISBN 0-9769630-1-9
- 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller, Foreword by Dave Ramsey (2005) ISBN 0-8054-3188-8
- ^ "Axia Interview with Blake Thompson, producer of The Dave Ramsey Show". www.axiaaudio.com. http://www.axiaaudio.com/interviews/features/ramsey.htm. Retrieved 2006-12-03.
- ^ "2009 NAB MARCONI RADIO AWARD WINNERS ANNOUNCED". http://www.nab.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Press_Releases1&CONTENTID=14966&TEMPLATE=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm.
- ^ a b Drury, Susan (2007-05-31). "The Gospel According to Dave". Nashville Scene. http://www.nashvillescene.com/2007-05-31/news/the-gospel-according-to-dave/. Retrieved 2007-07-16.
- ^ Fox Business Network Names Radio Show Personality Dave Ramsey As Primetime Host
- ^ a b c d Ramsey, Dave; Sharon Ramsey (2003). Financial Peace Revisited. Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England: Viking Penguin. pp. 325. 0-670-03208-5.
- ^ https://sbs-tn.naic.org/Lion-Web/jsp/sbsreports/AgentLookup.jsp
- ^ Focus on the Family (Dr. James Dobson) - Broadcast Archives
- ^ a b Dave Ramsey (2006). "Our Company History". daveramsey.com. Archived from the original on 2006-10-18. http://web.archive.org/web/20061018173517/http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/cms/index.cfm?intContentID=2797. Retrieved 2006-12-03.
- ^ Mike Kinosian (2005). "The Inside Story with Mike Kinosian: Behind The Dave Ramsey Show" (PDF). InsideRadio.com. http://ftp.media.radcity.net/ZMST/daily/IS032405.pdf. Retrieved 2006-12-03.
- ^ Beth Tallent (2007). "THOUSANDS OF STUDENTS ACROSS THE COUNTRY LEARN LIFES FINANCIAL LESSONS FROM DAVE RAMSEY". DaveRamsey.com. Archived from the original on 2007-05-15. http://web.archive.org/web/20070515231859/http://www.daveramsey.com/etc/cms/index.cfm?intContentID=6772. Retrieved 2007-03-21.
- ^ http://www.daveramsey.com/entreleadership/home/
- ^ Newspapers Drop Noted Finance Columnist, June 25, 2004, archived from the original on December 22, 2009, http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.allbusiness.com%2Fservices%2Fbusiness-services-miscellaneous-business%2F4703244-1.html&date=2009-12-22, retrieved December 22, 2009
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Dave Ramsey Show — refers to two programs: The Dave Ramsey Show (radio program), a syndicated radio show on terrestrial and XM Satellite radio The Dave Ramsey Show (TV program), a television program on the Fox Business Network This disambiguation page lists… … Wikipedia
Ramsey (surname) — See also Ramsay for surnames. Ramsey is a surname, and may refer to:* Baron de Ramsey, a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom, created in 1887 * Aaron Ramsey (1990 ndash;), Welsh footballer * Alexander Ramsey (1815 ndash;1903), American… … Wikipedia
Dave Colburn — Elliot James Langridge as Dave Colburn (2010) Hollyoaks character Portrayed by Elliot James Langridge Introduced by Lucy Allan Duration … Wikipedia
Dave Hawkins — (born January 14 1957) is an American singer songwriter and recording artist.Born Jeffrey David Hawkins in Columbus, Ohio.Dave has always insisted that his first “real” guitar teacher was a young finger styleguitarist named Chuck Dailey:… … Wikipedia
Dave Bing — Mayor Dave Bing 70th Mayor of Detroit Incumbent Assumed office May 11, 2009 … Wikipedia
Dave DeBusschere — No. 22 Power forward Personal information Date of birth October 16, 1940(1940 10 16) Place of birth Detroit, Michigan Nationality … Wikipedia
Dave Cowens — Cowens in January 2005 No. 18, 36 Center / Power forward Personal information … Wikipedia
Dave Wittenberg — Born David Richard Paul Wittenberg September 1, 1971 (1971 09 01) (age 40) Johannesburg, South Africa Other names Dave Lelyveld, Dave Whittenburg Agent … Wikipedia
Dave Baez — Born Dave Ortiz June 26, 1971 (1971 06 26) (age 40) New Bedford, Massachusetts Occupation Actor Years active 1998–present Dave Baez (born Dave L. Ortiz … Wikipedia
Dave Casper — No. 87 Tight End Personal information Date of birth: September 26, 1951 (1951 09 26) (age 60) Bemidji, Minnesota … Wikipedia