- Maryland Route 238
Map of Southern Maryland with MD 238 highlighted in red
Route information Maintained by MDSHA Length: 10.83 mi (17.43 km) Major junctions South end: MD 242 in Bushwood MD 234 in Chaptico North end: MD 5 in Helen Location Counties: St. Mary's Highway system ← MD 237 MD 239 →
Maryland Route 238 (MD 238) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. The state highway runs 10.83 miles (17.43 km) from MD 242 in Bushwood north to MD 5 in Helen. MD 238 is a C-shaped highway in western St. Mary's County, connecting Bushwood and Helen with Maddox and Chaptico, where the highway intersects MD 234, which heads west toward U.S. Route 301. What is now MD 238 was originally parts of two different highways: Maddox Road was MD 238 from Bushwood to Chaptico while Chaptico Road was the easternmost part of MD 234 from Chaptico to Helen. The highways were constructed as gravel roads in the late 1920s and early 1920s, respectively. MD 238 was extended from Chaptico to Helen when MD 234 was moved to its present course toward Leonardtown in the early 1960s.
MD 238 begins at an intersection with MD 242 (Colton Point Road) near Bushwood. The state highway heads northwest as two-lane Maddox Road through a mix of farmland and forest, passing by the hamlet of Bushwood, where the highway intersects Bushwood Road. MD 238 passes to the west of Longview Beach, a community on the Wicomico River, as the highway begins to curve to the north. The state highway continues north through the village of Maddox, where the highway intersects Mill Point Road and Manor Road. Mill Point Road heads west to the Mill Point Shores community at the confluence of Chaptico Bay with the Wicomico River. Manor Road heads east across Bull Run toward the historic home Bachelor's Hope. MD 238 veers to the northeast, begins to parallel the edge of the lowlands along Chaptico Run, and crosses Burroughs Run and Nelsons Run. The state highway reaches the community of Chaptico, where the highway passes Christ Episcopal Church before meeting MD 234 (Budds Creek Road) at a roundabout. MD 238 continues east as Chaptico Road toward the community of Helen. The state highway intersects the unnamed old alignment of MD 5, which is unsigned MD 5B, at a perpendicular intersection before reaching its eastern terminus tangent to a curve of MD 5 (Point Lookout Road).
The present course of MD 238 was constructed as two highways: MD 234 from Chaptico to Helen and MD 238 from Bushwood to Chaptico. MD 234, which originally had its eastern terminus at Helen, was constructed as a gravel road from Chaptico to Helen around 1923. MD 238 was built as a gravel road from Chaptico to Maddox in 1925 and 1926. The Maddox–Bushwood portion of MD 238 was completed in 1930. MD 234's eastern terminus was originally a T-intersection where traffic on MD 5 had to make a right turn to continue on that highway. MD 234 was extended a short distance east when MD 5's present curve at Helen was constructed around 1934. In 1961, MD 234's eastern terminus was moved from MD 5 at Helen to MD 5 near Leonardtown, assuming the original MD 237 in the process. MD 238 was then extended east along Chaptico Road to Helen. The roundabout at the intersection of MD 238 and MD 234 in Chaptico, the first roundabout in St. Mary's County, was constructed in 2007.
The entire route is in St. Mary's County.
Location Mile Destinations Notes Bushwood 0.00 MD 242 (Colton Point Road) – Coltons Point, Clements Southern terminus Chaptico 7.17 MD 234 to US 301 – Leonardtown, Governor Nice Bridge Roundabout Helen 10.83 MD 5 (Point Lookout Road) – Leonardtown, Waldorf Northern terminus 1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- ^ a b c "Highway Location Reference: St. Mary's County" (PDF). Maryland State Highway Administration. 2009. http://www.marylandroads.com/Location/2009_SAINTMARYS.pdf. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- ^ Google, Inc. Google Maps – Maryland Route 238 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=MD-242%2FColton+Point+Rd&daddr=Chaptico+Rd&geocode=FQJASAIdyJhs-w%3BFVqvSQIdNFlt-w&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=38.383624,-76.720115&sspn=0.000965,0.002411&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=12. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- ^ Maryland State Roads Commission. General Highway Map: State of Maryland (Map) (1939 ed.).
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map) (1923 ed.).
- ^ Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland. 1924-1926. Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. January 1927. pp. 36, 65. http://www.archive.org/details/annualreportsofs1924mary. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map) (1927 ed.).
- ^ Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland. 1927-1930. Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. 1930-10-01. p. 226. http://www.archive.org/details/reportofstateroa1927mary. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland Showing State Road System: State Aid Roads and Improved County Road Connections (Map) (1930 ed.).
- ^ Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland. 1931-1934. Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. 1934-12-28. p. 30. http://www.archive.org/details/reportofstateroa1931mary. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- ^ Maryland State Roads Commission. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1961 ed.).
- ^ Johnson, Jenna (2007-10-18). "Traffic Circle Has Drivers in a Spin". The Washington Post (Washington, DC: The Washington Post Company). http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/17/AR2007101702412.html. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- ^ "Highway Location Reference: St. Mary's County" (PDF). Maryland State Highway Administration. 2007. http://www.marylandroads.com/Location/2007_SAINTMARYS.pdf. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
Roads in St. Mary's County, Maryland State highways
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maryland Route 5 — Point Lookout Road, Three Notch Road, Leonardtown Road, Mattawoman Beantown Road, Branch Avenue … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 234 — Budds Creek Road Map of Southern Maryland with MD 234 highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 242 — Colton Point Road … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 237 — Chancellors Run Road … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 239 — Bushwood Wharf Road … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 4 — St. Andrew s Church Road, Patuxent Beach Road, Solomons Island Road, Southern Maryland Boulevard, Pennsylvania Avenue … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 6 — highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 236 — Thompsons Corner Road Map of Southern Maryland with MD 236 highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 944 — Mervell Dean Road Route information Maintained by MDSHA Length … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 244 — Route information … Wikipedia