- Characters in the Hollows series
Rachel Morgan / The Hollows series is a series of detective/mystery novels in an urban fantasy alternate history setting by Kim Harrison that take place primarily in the city of Cincinnati and a nearby enclave on the opposite side of the Ohio River nicknamed "The Hollows".
Following is a list of major and minor characters in the series.
- 1 Protagonist
- 2 Supporting characters
- 3 Additional characters
- 4 References
A witch initially working as a runner for the Inderland Security (I.S) service. She procures three wishes from a leprechaun she apprehends on her last run for the Inderlander Security service and uses a wish to get her independence. She makes a deal with the living vampire Ivy Tamwood and the pixy Jenks to give them the remaining wishes for their assistance in leaving the I.S. After creating the Vampiric Charms freelance runner service, Ivy and Jenks become her partners in taking various runs, or 'missions', both together and separately. In earlier books, she works to remove a death bounty placed on her by her former employer as well as freeing herself from a demon's curse. In the most recent books, Rachel finds herself learning about and using ley line and demon magic, both in order to do her job and protect her life and the lives of her friends and family. She is deeply ambivalent about using dark magic, but will continue to do so when she finds it necessary.
Main supporting characters
A living vampire that works with Rachel at the I.S. and follows her into freelance work.Ivy is six feet tall, elegantly thin, and very pale, with long black hair and an Oriental cast. Ivy struggles with her vampiric nature on a personal level, as well as attempting to keep Rachel from being attacked by fellow vampires. She is bisexual and harbors a deep longing and affection for Rachel. She is deeply devoted to Rachel and Jenks, doing whatever it takes for them, mainly Rachel. Ivy is the last living vampire of the Tamwood family, and is a sort of prodigy of her old master vampire Piscary.
A pixy who joins Rachel and Ivy in their freelance business. He often provides the comedy in the novels as well as working as a saboteur, electronics expert, and spy. He is always watching after Rachel, worried about her and Ivy's interactions, as well as the men who come into her life as they usually turn out to be untrustworthy. Nearing the maximum life expectancy for pixies, he worries about what will happen to both his family and his partners after he is gone. When joining Rachel in her life post-I.S., he uses his wish to make himself sterile in order to prevent his wife from leaving him; they have 54 children, and she does not want any more.
Other supporting characters
A demon who trades in demonic familiars. Summoned to kill both Rachel and Trent in the first novel, he becomes a familiar figure in the second after making deals with Rachel and Nick. Algaliarept is determined to replace Ceri with Rachel as his familiar, and most of his plots revolve around these efforts. Derisively referred to as "Big Al" by Rachel, who also uses the nickname to avoid accidentally summoning the demon. When the demons accidentally discover that he concealed the fact that Rachel can spindle ley line energy, he falls into disgrace. After Rachel steals his summoning name from within the ever-after, he makes a deal with her, agreeing to take her on as a scholar and teach her demon magic in exchange for the return of his summoning name and his chance to regain his reputation.
Initially appears in Dead Witch Walking. The captain of the local FIB office. Arranges for the FIB to pay off Rachel's death bounty in exchange for her becoming a freelance operative aiding the FIB in their attempt to keep up with the I.S. Rachel's pay from the FIB eventually becomes entangled in red tape, so Edden arranges for her to own Francis's car after he is murdered.
Ceridwen "Ceri" Merriam Dulciate
An elf of royal blood who has spent a thousand years as Algaliarept's familiar, she is rescued by Rachel from the ever-after. She is adept in demon magic and is currently staying with Keasley. Ceri is skilled at both Ley Line and Demon magic, and has taught Rachel a great deal about both. While she finds Trent Kalamack attractive, she is deeply in love with Quen and is carrying his child.
A were insurance claims adjuster who takes on Rachel as his alpha when going independent. Assists Rachel in a couple of her cases. Affected by the were focus, he unintentionally turns several human girlfriends into weres, leading to their deaths; two of these women survived, adding to David's pack. Has the powerful curse of the were focus transferred to him to save Rachel's life. Uncomfortable around Ivy, who has a crush on him.
Initially appears in The Good, The Bad, and The Undead. Detective and son of Captain Edden, he works with Rachel on several cases. It is an open secret in the department that he is Edden's son, and keeping the secret silent is something of a running gag in the books. He's dating Ivy in Black Magic Sanction.
A vampire who has a long history with Ivy, both as a friend and a lover, and understands her past better than anyone. He runs Piscary's operation as his scion. Kisten and Rachel become involved after Nick's departure from Cincinnati. Ostracized by Piscary for protecting Rachel and Ivy, he dies twice (as a living and dead vampire) on the same night. in White Witch, Black Curse, we find out the vampire he was given to was Ivy's ex-boss, Art.
Nicholas "Nick" Sparagmos
Nick has a number of professions such as demonologist, wizard (human that practices magic), and librarian, but his vocation is as a professional thief. Early in the series, he is Rachel's boyfriend, but after Rachel accidentally makes him her familiar, they begin to drift apart and eventually end their romantic relationship. Nick betrays Rachel's trust multiple times throughout the series by passing personal information about her to Algaliarept, attempting to steal the Focus, and ratting her out to the Witch Council.
An elf who hides his heritage, as all elves do at this time. Currently on the City Council, he operates in the Hollows underground and runs several illegal operations on the side. He serves as a major antagonist for the series, as Rachel knows of his crimes and repeatedly attempts to bring him to justice. He and Rachel have a shared heritage through the work of their fathers. He knows of Rachel's abilities and often seeks to have her work for him. Many times their paths cross and her work may or may not be to his benefit. His title among fellow elves who work for him is Sa'han. He officially becomes Rachel's familiar in The Outlaw Demon Wails, though they have no magical connection. Harrison has hinted at a special connection between him and Rachel in the 9th book. Rachel first thinks he is a human scion. In Pale Demon Trent asks Rachel to help him do a "elf quest" that proves to be stealing his daughter Lucy (his and Ellasbeth's).
Trent's security chief. He has, on occasion, saved Rachel's life, such as when she confronted Piscary after the rape and subsequent scion-making of Ivy. He is known to wield black ley line magic, tinged green, and he is the father of Ceri's baby.
In alphabetical order:
- Alice Morgan - Rachel's mother. A very accomplished earth witch, hampered by mental illness since the death of her husband Monty.
- Art - An undead vampire and Ivy Tamwood's former partner. Attempts to cover up a murder using banshee tears and subsequently is framed by Ivy for a murder committed by Piscary. Prominent figure in Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil and figures in the storyline of White Witch, Black Curse. Also, he's the discovered murderer of Kisten Felps and Denon is his scion.
- Aston - A vampire who runs a local roller rink.
- Audric - Son of Chrissie and Nephew of Kisten Felps.
- Belle - A fairy that saves Jinks's children during an invasion in "Pale Demon" Jenks latter gives her permission to stay in the garden.
- Betty Bansen - Tom's wife who attempts to cover up her husbands dealings with Algaliarept in The Outlaw Demon Wails.
- Bis - A young gargoyle who takes up residence at the church where Rachel, Ivy, and Jenks live.
- Brett - A were subordinate in Walter Vincent's pack. After Rachel defeats Vincent and Brett, he goes to Cincinnati and seeks to join Rachel's "pack." Among the were casualties during Trent's search for the focus.
- Candice - A living vampire. Former lover of Kisten and a bodyguard for Saladan.
- Chad - A deejay and rental clerk at Aston's roller rink.
- Chrissie - Sister of Kisten Felps.
- Dallkarackint "Dali" - A bureaucratic demon who presides over Algaliarept's case.
- DeLavine - A master vampire in Chicago. Rival of Piscary's.
- Denon - A vampire lackey and Rachel Morgan's former supervisor at the I.S. Also spies on Ivy for her supervisor. He is demoted following her and Ivy Tamwood's successful departure from the I.S. He is Art's scion who accidentally kills him when he was dying from Kisten's bite.
- Dr. Anders - A ley line witch and professor who taught Rachel. In the novel The Good, the Bad, and the Undead, she is apparently killed by a demon killing ley line practitioners. However, in The Outlaw Demon Wails, it is discovered that she works for Trent Kalamack and he set up a fake death for her.
- Ellasbeth Withon - A beautiful but ill-tempered elf who is Kalamack's fiancée due to a business arrangement. Rachel disrupts their wedding by arresting Trent at the altar. Ellasbeth later calls off the wedding for good.
- Erica Randal - Ivy Tamwood's sister. Even though she has a different surname as Ivy, she is not Ivy's half-sister. To continue each parent's line, Ivy was given their mother's surname and Erica was given their father's.
- Ford - A human with an unusual gift of being able to read emotions of those around him. He is a psychologist for the FIB. It is later speculated that he might be a rare Inderlander.
- Francis - A fellow runner at the I.S. during Rachel's tenure there. He curries favor with his supervisors, often to Rachel's detriment. As a result of attempts to provide information on Kalamack, he is killed along with several FIB officers prior to giving substantive information.
- Gerald - A security officer working for Trent Kalamack.
- Gordian Pierce "Pierce" - The ghost of a witch who was buried alive in the 1800s and was brought out of purgatory by Rachel when she was eighteen in the anthology, Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel. Has haunted her for a year trying to get her attention. He is responsible for the 'glitches' and changed ringtones on Rachel's cell phone. Gains a body in White Witch, Black Curse through a deal with Al. This resulted in a familiar bond with the demon.
- Holly - A banshee child of Mia and Remus. Ford has custody of her.
- Jack - A pixy son of Jenks and Matalina. Glues Jerrimatt wigs together, his name and 4 of his brothers make up Rachel’s summoning name. “For a few Demons More”
- Janice- A pixy daughter of Jenks and Matalina. Braids Rachel’s hair in “For a Few Demons More”.
- Jariath – A pixy son of Jenks and Matalina. Glues Jerrimatt wigs together, his name and four of his brothers make up Rachel’s summoning name. “For a few Demons More”
- Jax - A pixy, eldest son of Jenks and Matalina. Partners with Nick in stealing a significant were artifact, then is rescued by Rachel and Jenks when the thief's plan goes awry. Later sets out with Nick, against the wishes of his parents. In “Black Magic Sanction” he is reunited with his parents.
- Jeremy - A pixy son of Jenks and Matalina. Braids Rachel’s hair in “For a Few Demons More”.
- Jerrimatt - A pixy son of Jenks and Matalina. Often gets his wings glued together by Jack.
- Jhan - A pixy son of Jenks and Matalina. Jhan is learning to read now and is left in charge in “Pale Demon.”
- Jih - A pixy, eldest daughter of Jenks and Matalina. She takes care of Keasley's garden with another pixy buck.
- Jixy - A pixy, daughter of Jenks and Matalina.
- Jocelynn - A pixy daughter of Jenks and Matalina. Braids Rachel’s hair in “For a Few Demons More”.
- Josephine - A pixy daughter of Jenks and Matalina. One of the younger children. Rachel gives her permission to pix a salesman in the future.
- Jrixibell – A pixy, youngest daughter of Jenks and Matalina. Tossed acorns at Trent in “Pale Demon”.
- Jumoke - A pixy son of Jenks and Matalina. Glues Jerrimatt wigs together, his name and 4 of his brothers make up Rachel’s summoning name. “For a few Demons More”
- Junis - A pixy son of Jenks and Matalina. Glues Jerrimatt wigs together, his name and 4 of his brothers make up Rachel’s summoning name. “For a few Demons More”
- Jonathan - Trenton Kalamack's chief subordinate, he despises Rachel Morgan and works against her in the series. When Rachel shifts into a mink to raid Trenton's offices and is caught, it is Jonathan who tortures her the most, poking and prodding her with pencils while she is caged. Reluctantly gives her respect after she saves Trenton.
- Karen - A were female that challenges Rachel for the right to be David Hue's alpha.
- Leon Bairnes "Keasley" - Goes by Keasley to avoid an I.S. death threat. A witch neighbor of the Vampiric Charms agency. He acts to save Rachel's life or to provide medical assistance on several occasions. Ceri resides with him.
- Marshal - A witch who lent Rachel diving gear during her rescue of Nick. Eventually comes to Cincinnati, where he and Rachel agree not to attempt to date, but to go out as friends. They eventually become intimate, but end the relationship when Rachel is shunned by the witch community.
- Matalina - Jenks's wife and mother of his many children. Serves as a nurse for the Vampiric Charms agency. She has recently been in ill health. Sadly, she also passed in Black Magic Sanction
- Mia Harbor - A banshee that attempts to seduce Ivy Tamwood. She received Ivy's wish as a payment for helping the living vampire. She uses the wish to find someone to love and who could produce a child with her that wouldn't kill the father. She is a main figure in White Witch, Black Curse.
- Minias - A demon who serves as Newt's keeper/familiar until relieved of those duties. As Newt is the last female demon, Minias is additionally tasked to seduce her as there have been no demon births in five thousand years, but this is a dangerous task because she has killed all her previous lovers. Owes Rachel a favor, and consequently wears her mark (similar to a demon mark) until it is repaid.
- Montgomery Morgan - Rachel's deceased father. Although he was human, his skill in ley line magic enabled him to keep this fact hidden from the authorities and the general populace. He raised Rachel and Robbie as his own children until his death in an attempt to rid his body of a vampire's claim.
- Mr. Randal - Ivy's father. A living vampire, he provides the blood needed to keep Ivy's mother sane.
- Mrs. Sarong - One of the prominent weres in Cincinnati and the owner of the Howlers, a local baseball team made up of weres. She hires Rachel Morgan to retrieve the team mascot. Has an intense rivalry with Mr. Ray.
- Newt - A very powerful and quite insane female demon - even other demons are afraid of her. In the far past, she has killed every other female demon, which caused her insanity. Demon laws don't apply to her, because it is said that 'she makes the laws'. Rachel gains a mark from Newt in payment for moving her between the ley lines in Every Which Way But Dead.
- Pam - The were alpha female in Walter Vincent's pack. Rachel challenges her to a duel, but she is defeated when attacked by pure wolves.
- Peter - A living vampire from Chicago. Assists Rachel in helping Nick escape from packs of weres.
- Piscary - An Egyptian undead vampire. He runs most of the Hollows' illegal and underground activities. Attempts to remove both Rachel and Trent from the picture by many means. Organizes the death of many ley line witches to prevent Kalamack from gaining more power; this series of crimes leads to his imprisonment for five centuries. Still tries to exert control of his domain through Ivy, who has become his scion in order to protect Rachel. Piscary is killed by Skimmer as he attacks Ivy at a meeting held to sort out custodianship of the were focus.
- Remus - The human husband of Mia Harbor and father of her child, Holly.
- Robbie Morgan - Rachel's older brother. Tries to dissuade her from joining the I.S. Has been on uneasy terms with his family. Although mentioned throughout the series, makes his first appearance in the short story "Two Ghosts for Sister Rachel" in the Holidays are Hell anthology. Appears in the book White Witch Black Curse.
- Rynn Cormel - The new master vampire in Cincinnati. As well as writing a best-selling guide to dating vampires, he was the leader of the United States during the Turn and the subject of a crush from Ivy.
- Sara Jane - A personal secretary working for Trent Kalamack.
- Simon Ray - The owner of the were baseball team, The Rays, and a prominent were in Cincinnati. He has an intense rivalry with Mrs. Sarong.
- Skimmer - Real name, Dorothy Claymor. A female living vampire and lover of Ivy's. She is a lawyer working to free Piscary from prison in order to gain permission to stay in Cincinnati. She is imprisoned for wrongful death after she kills Piscary.
- Stanley "Lee" Saladan - A black witch, practicer of ley line and demon magic. The only known witch, other than Rachel, that can do so. One of many individuals trying to move in on Piscary's territory while the vampire is in prison. He also harbors a deep rivalry with Trenton Kalamack going back to their childhood. Temporarily trapped in the ever-after as Al's familiar, he makes a deal with the demon that allows the demon to possess him in order to get revenge upon Rachel.
- Takata - A witch and a musician, he is one of the most popular musical acts in the series. Rachel knows him personally, having helped him in the past. Rachel later discovers that he is her biological father. Takata records music that includes subliminal lyrics intended for undead vampires. His real name is Donald.
- Tom Bansen - Tom is an investigator in the I.S. Arcane division and leader of a black magic coven. He had a grudge against Rachel when she refused his offer to join him. In The Outlaw Demon Wails, Tom was the one summoning and then releasing Algaliarept so he would go after Rachel. In White Witch, Black Curse, Tom is killed by the banshee, Mia Harbor. His body is then taken by Algaliarept and used a vessel for Gordian Pierce.
- Walter Vincent - A were alpha who figures prominently in A Fistful of Charms.
Universe · Characters
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Hollows (series) — The Hollows, (also called the Rachel Morgan series), is a series of detective/mystery novels in an urban fantasy alternate history setting by Kim Harrison that take place primarily in the city of Cincinnati and a nearby enclave across the Ohio… … Wikipedia
The Elfstones of Shannara — infobox Book | name = The Elfstones of Shannara title orig = translator = image caption = 1st hardcover edition. author = Terry Brooks illustrator = Darrell K. Sweet cover artist = Darrell K. Sweet country = United States language = English… … Wikipedia
The One Doctor — Big Finish Productions audio play The One Doctor Series Doctor Who … Wikipedia
List of Hollows in Bleach — The Bleach anime and manga feature an extensive cast of beings known as Hollows (虚（ホロウ）, Horō?), the central antagonists of the series. These are malevolent, deceased souls of formerly ordinary humans in the Bleach universe. Much of the series … Wikipedia
Bleach (Nintendo home consoles series) — The Bleach Nintendo Home Consoles series is a series of fighting games based on the anime and manga Bleach and published by Sega. Three games were released, one for the GameCube and two for the Wii. Contents 1 GameCube 1.1 Bleach GC: Tasogare ni… … Wikipedia
Doctor Who: The Lost Stories — The Lost Stories are a range of Doctor Who audio plays from Big Finish, adapted from unused TV stories. Contents 1 Series 1 2 Series 2 3 Series 3 4 References … Wikipedia
List of Bleach characters — Some of the major characters of the series in their high school uniforms. Left to right: Rukia, Ichigo, Chad (top), Tatsuki (front), Uryu, Orihime, Keigo (background) and Mizuiro. The Bleach anime and manga series features an extensive cast of… … Wikipedia
Bleach: The DiamondDust Rebellion — The North American promotional poster for the film. Kanji 劇場版BLEACH The DiamondDust Rebellion もう一つの氷輪丸 … Wikipedia
List of minor Star Wars characters — This article is about minor characters in the fictional Star Wars universe, who do not fit into any other category.AlisiaAlisia is a female Gran who works as a station nurse in the Med Center of Tansarii Point Station. She and a 2 1B Surgical… … Wikipedia
List of Negima characters (16-31) — NOTE: The following Character descriptions are drawn primarily from the original manga. Any notable differences in the anime series will be noted. Also, the student numbers are based on the ordering of surnames according to the gojūon.Makie… … Wikipedia