- Charles John Wingfield
Sir Charles John Wingfield
KCSI, CB, MP
Member of Parliament
18 November 1868 – 5 February 1874
Preceded by New constituency Succeeded by Bedford Clapperton Trevelyan Pim Personal details Born 16 April 1820 Died 27 January 1892(aged 71) Political party Liberal Profession Bengal Civil Service
Sir Charles John Wingfield KCSI, CB, MP (16 April 1820 – 27 January 1892), who had a distinguished career with the Bengal Civil Service, was later elected as the first Member of Parliament for the United Kingdom's Parliament constituency of Gravesend.
Wingfield's father, William Wingfield (1772–1858), was a Master in Chancery and served as a Member of Parliament for Bodmin in 1806. William changed his surname to Wingfield-Baker in 1849 by Royal licensure after his inheritance of Orsett Hall in Essex. Several of William's children changed their surname as well. From William's first marriage to Lady Charlotte-Maria (died 1807), eldest daughter of Henry Digby, 1st Earl Digby, Wingfield had several older half siblings including: George-Digby, John-Digby, Mary, Caroline, Frances-Eliza, and Richard Baker Wingfield-Baker, a Member of Parliament for South Essex.
By his father's marriage to Wingfield's mother, Elizabeth Mills, Wingfield had several additional siblings, including: William-Wriothesley-Digby, Frederick, Henry, Kenelm-Digby, Julia, and Lucy.
Wingfield served in the Bengal Civil Service from 1840 to 1866. He was a proponent of Charles Canning's clemency policy during the Indian Rebellion of 1857. While in the BCS, he held several offices including Commissioner of Gorakhpur, which is the post he held when appointed Companion of the Order of the Bath on 18 May 1860, and Vice-Chairman of the East India Association's Council. From 15 February 1859 to 20 April 1860, he was the Chief Commissioner of Oude. On 24 May 1866, he was appointed Knight Commander of the Order of the Star of India.
A Liberal, Wingifled was elected to Parliament over Bedford Clapperton Trevelyan Pim, serving served during the period of 18 November 1868 to 5 February 1874 when Wingfield was unseated by Pim.
- ^ a b Dod's peerage, baronetage, and knightage of Great Britain and Ireland: for ... : including all the titled classes. 30 (Digitized Jan 28, 2010 ed.). Whittaker. 1870. pp. 644. http://books.google.com/books?id=-a9AAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA644&dq=%22Charles+John+Wingfield%22+baker&hl=en&ei=0b_CS-WPB4SoswOS8538CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22Charles%20John%20Wingfield%22%20baker&f=false.
- ^ Danvers, FC; H Martineau; M Monier-Williams, Sir; SC Bayley, Sir; P Wigram; B Sapte; Haileybury. East India (1894). Memorials of old Haileybury College (Digitized May 9, 2007 ed.). Westminster: A. Constable and Company. pp. 325. http://books.google.com/books?id=rwUCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA325&lpg=PA325&dq=%22cj+wingfield%22+1892&source=bl&ots=gVEDpjA7DU&sig=RA1jeaQELfyT59kXRC16cCk0nOg&hl=en&ei=VvHDS8v6M8f-nAfliLzvDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22cj%20wingfield%22%20&f=false.
- ^ "STIFFORD". british-history.ac.uk. British History Online. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63839. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- ^ Burke, Sir Bernard (1858). A genealogical and heraldic dictionary of the landed gentry of Great Britain and Ireland. 1 (Digitized Jun 5, 2008 ed.). Harrison. pp. 42. http://books.google.com/books?id=wmNmAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA42&lpg=PA42&dq=%22Charles+John+Wingfield%22+baker&source=bl&ots=ofok9SbzLs&sig=vBJLGmu0Scj-ciHkhRn_kJDKyYU&hl=en&ei=ILPCS8L-EMr-ngeyo9ysCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Charles%20John%20Wingfield%22%20baker&f=false.
- ^ Kelly's handbook to the titled, landed & official classes (Digitized Oct 3, 2007 ed.). Kelly and Co.. 1882. pp. 902. http://books.google.com/books?id=JdYNAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA902&dq=Charles+John+Wingfield+baker&hl=en&ei=17nCS4mjFJSSsgOCrIWUBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Charles%20John%20Wingfield%20baker&f=false.
- ^ London Gazette: . 18 May 1860. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- ^ East India Association (1872). Journal of the East India Association. 6 (Digitized Jun 20, 2008 ed.). London, England. pp. 238. http://books.google.com/books?id=95MoAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA238&lpg=PA238&dq=%22Sir+Charles+John+Wingfield%22&source=bl&ots=QyHlcxePUg&sig=PWukeMPrX60zoQHLOYT4sZQJoH4&hl=en&ei=Hp3CS6y6I8H-ngffvvGdCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBAQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=%22Sir%20Charles%20John%20Wingfield%22&f=false.
- ^ Sykes, John Caskell Walker (1886). A compendium of the law specially relating to the Taluqdars of Oudh: Being the Oudh estates act (I.) of 1869, an act to amend the Oudh estate act, 1869. (Act X. of 1885) the Oudh sub-settlement act (XXVI.) of 1866, the Oudh Taluqdars' relief act (XXIV.) of 1870, and parts of the Oudh rent act ... (Digitized Nov 25, 2008 ed.). Thacker, Spink. pp. 384. http://books.google.com/books?id=NeKuAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA384&dq=%22Charles+John+Wingfield%22&hl=en&ei=ia3CS6jlMYeMtAP71KDQAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22Charles%20John%20Wingfield%22&f=false.
- ^ London Gazette: . 25 May 1866. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- ^ "Discover Garvesham". discovergravesham.co.uk. http://www.discovergravesham.co.uk/gravesend-chronology/1853-1872.html. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- ^ Dod's parliamentary companion (Digitized Jul 25, 2008 ed.). Dod's Parliamentary Companion Ltd.. 1872. pp. 125. http://books.google.com/books?id=xigqAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA125&dq=wingfield+gravesend+pim&hl=en&ei=2RzFS7nDBYj4Mqn8pf4N&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CE4Q6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=wingfield%20gravesend%20pim&f=false.
- ^ "The House of Commons Constitutencies beginning with "G"". leighrayment.com. 24/02/2010. http://www.leighrayment.com/commons/Gcommons2.htm. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- ^ a b London Gazette: . 7 June 1892. Retrieved 12 April 2010.
- ^ "Editorial". British journal of dental science (Oxford House) 35 (Digitized Apr 18, 2007): 305. 1892. http://books.google.com/books?id=xVcBAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA305&dq=%22Charles+John+Wingfield%27%22+gravesend&hl=en&ei=grzCS8v_AozosQOK5J2DBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=%22Charles%20John%20Wingfield%27%22%20gravesend&f=false.
- ^ Murray, John (1903). A Handbook for travellers in India, Burma, and Ceylon: including the provinces of Bengal, Bombay, and Madras ; the Punjab, North-West provinces, Rajputana, Central Provinces, Mysore, etc. ; the native states, Assam and Cashmere (Digitized May 4, 2007 ed.). London: J. Murray. pp. 247–248. http://books.google.com/books?id=Yd0BAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA247&lpg=PA247&dq=%22wingfield+Park%22+india&source=bl&ots=cWNWAkjDsp&sig=z5bAysAJN8UMEG8v96uW852cYCU&hl=en&ei=Zu7DS4ruE8SDnQftgvj2CQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CAwQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir Charles Wingfield
Parliament of the United Kingdom New constituency Member of Parliament for Gravesend
Bedford Clapperton Trevelyan Pim
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
John Selden — John Selden, English jurist and philosopher Full name John Selden Born 16 December 1584 Salvington Died 30 November 1654( … Wikipedia
Charles Dickens — Dickens redirects here. For other uses, see Dickens (disambiguation). Charles Dickens … Wikipedia
Charles Manners-Sutton, 1st Viscount Canterbury — The Right Honourable The Viscount Canterbury GCB, PC Portrait of Lord … Wikipedia
Charles Vincent Fox — Born 1877 Dublin, Ireland Allegiance United Kingdom … Wikipedia
Charles Brandon — y María Tudor. Charles Brandon, primer duque de Suffolk (c. 1484 22 de agosto de 1545) fue un noble y militar inglés, participante en la guerra italiana de 1542 1546. Hijo de Sir William Brandon y Elizabeth Bruyn. A través de su tercera esposa… … Wikipedia Español
Charles P. Dixon — Full name Charles Percy Dixon Country United Kingdom … Wikipedia
Charles Augustus Lindbergh — Charles Lindbergh Pour les articles homonymes, voir Lindbergh (homonymie) et Lindberg. Charles Lindbergh … Wikipédia en Français
John Malkovitch — John Malkovich John Malkovich Nom de naissance John Gavin Malkovich Naissance 9 décembre 1953 (55 ans) Christopher … Wikipédia en Français
John Malkovich — en juillet 2009 Données clés Nom de naissance John Gavin Malkovich … Wikipédia en Français
Charles Wolfran Cornwall — Charles Wolfran Cornwall. Charles Wolfran Cornwall (15 June 1735 – 2 January 1789) was a British politician. In 1768, he was returned as MP for Grampound. He was created a Privy Councillor in 1780. As Speaker of the British House of Commons,… … Wikipedia