- Chaplin (film)
Theatrical release poster
Directed by Richard Attenborough Produced by Richard Attenborough
Written by Diana Hawkins
Starring Robert Downey, Jr.
Penelope Ann Miller
Music by John Barry Cinematography Sven Nykvist Editing by Anne V. Coates Studio Carolco Pictures Distributed by TriStar Pictures Release date(s) December 25, 1992 Running time 144 minutes Country United Kingdom
Language English Budget $31 million Box office $9,493,259
Chaplin is a 1992 biographical film about the life of English comedian Charlie Chaplin. It was produced and directed by Richard Attenborough and stars Robert Downey, Jr., Dan Aykroyd, Kevin Kline, and Anthony Hopkins. It also features Geraldine Chaplin in the role of her own paternal grandmother, Hannah Chaplin.
The film was adapted by Diana Hawkins, William Boyd, Bryan Forbes and William Goldman from the books My Autobiography by Chaplin and Chaplin: His Life and Art by film critic David Robinson. The original music score was composed by John Barry.
The film is structured around lengthy flashbacks as the elderly Chaplin recollects moments from his life during a conversation with fictional character George Hayden (Anthony Hopkins), the editor of his autobiography. Chaplin's recollections begin with his childhood of extreme poverty, from which he escapes by immersing himself in the world of the London music halls, after which he relocates to the United States.
There are references to some of his many romantic episodes (including Hetty Kelly, Mildred Harris, Georgia Hale, Marion Davies, Edna Purviance, Lita Grey, Paulette Goddard, Joan Barry and Oona O'Neill), his professional collaboration with Mack Sennett and friendship with Douglas Fairbanks.
- Robert Downey, Jr. as Charlie Chaplin
- Geraldine Chaplin as Hannah Chaplin, Charlie's mother
- Paul Rhys as Sydney Chaplin, Charlie's brother
- John Thaw as Fred Karno, British music-hall impresario
- Moira Kelly as Hetty Kelly / Oona O'Neill, Charlie's final wife
- Anthony Hopkins as George Hayden, Charlie's biography editor
- Dan Aykroyd as Mack Sennett, an early Hollywood film producer
- Marisa Tomei as Mabel Normand, a young Hollywood actress
- Penelope Ann Miller as Edna Purviance, a young Hollywood actress
- Kevin Kline as Douglas Fairbanks, a leading man in early Hollywood movies
- Matthew Cottle as Stan Laurel, a Hollywood comedian
- Maria Pitillo as Mary Pickford, a leading lady in early Hollywood movies
- Milla Jovovich as Mildred Harris, a young Hollywood actress and Charlie's first wife
- Kevin Dunn as J. Edgar Hoover, head of the US Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Deborah Moore as Lita Grey, a young Hollywood actress and Charlie's second wife
- Diane Lane as Paulette Goddard, a young Hollywood actress and Charlie's third wife
- Nancy Travis as Joan Barry, a young Hollywood actress
- James Woods as Joseph Scott, a California attorney
- David Duchovny as Roland Totheroh, Chaplin's long time cameraman
Although the film was criticized for taking dramatic licence with some aspects of Chaplin's life, Downey's performance as Chaplin won almost universal acclaim. Attenborough was sufficiently confident in Downey's performance to include historical footage of Chaplin himself at the end of the film.
The film was lauded for its high production values, but many critics dismissed it as an overly glossy biopic. One critic wrote that the screenplay "endeavors to cover too much ground. The life of Charlie Chaplin was so vast and varied that a film is far too restrictive a format to give it justice."
Award Person Nominated: Best Actor Robert Downey, Jr. Best Score John Barry Best Art Direction Stuart Craig
Chris A. Butler
Award Person Awarded: BAFTA Award for Best Actor Robert Downey, Jr. Nominated: BAFTA Award for Best Costume Design John Mollo
BAFTA Award for Best Makeup and Hair Wally Schneiderman
John Caglione, Jr.
BAFTA Award for Best Production Design Stuart Craig
Golden Globe Awards
Award Person Nominated: Best Original Score John Barry Best Actor – Drama Robert Downey, Jr. Best Supporting Actress Geraldine Chaplin
The film was released on DVD in 1997. A fifteenth-anniversary edition was released by Lions Gate Entertainment (who obtained the distribution rights to the film in the interim under license from the copyright holder, StudioCanal) in 2008. The anniversary edition contained extensive interviews with the producers, and included several minutes of home-movie footage shot on Chaplin's yacht. The box for this DVD mistakenly lists the film's running time as 135 minutes (it is 144 minutes, the same as the original theater release).
The 15th Anniversary Edition Blu-Ray of Chaplin was released on February 15, 2011.
- ^ "Dismissed on its release by many critics as a typically fluffy paean to Chaplin . . this sumptuous biopic may have a touch too much gloss, but it's anything but bland."
- ^ "Chaplin (1992)". Hometheaterinfo.com. http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/chaplin_(1992).htm. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- ^ "The 65th Academy Awards (1993) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/legacy/ceremony/65th-winners.html. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- ^ "Combustible Celluloid film review - Chaplin (1992), Richard Attenborough, Robert Downey Jr., Moira Kelly, dvd review". Combustiblecelluloid.com. 2008-10-08. http://www.combustiblecelluloid.com/archive/chaplin92.shtml. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- Chaplin at the Internet Movie Database
- Chaplin at the TCM Movie Database
- Chaplin at AllRovi
- Chaplin at Box Office Mojo
- Chaplin at Rotten Tomatoes
Films directed by Richard Attenborough 1960sOh! What a Lovely War (1969) 1970s 1980s 1990s 2000sClosing the Ring (2007)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Chaplin (Film) — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel Chaplin Produktionsland GB, USA, Frankreich, It … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chaplin (Film, 1992) — Chaplin Titre original Chaplin Réalisation Richard Attenborough Acteurs principaux Robert Downey Jr. Anthony Hopkins Geraldine Chaplin Dan Aykroyd Kevin Kline James Woods Scénario William Boyd … Wikipédia en Français
Chaplin (film, 1992) — Chaplin Données clés Titre original Chaplin Réalisation Richard Attenborough Scénario William Boyd Bryan Forbes William Goldman Diana Hawkins d après David Robinson et Charles Chaplin Acteurs princi … Wikipédia en Français
Charlie Chaplin (film) — Charlie Chaplin Directed by Sakthi Chidambaram Starring Prabhu Ganesan Prabhu Deva Abhirami Gayathri Raghuraman Music by Bharani Release … Wikipedia
Chaplin — may refer to: Contents 1 People 2 Films 3 Places 4 Other … Wikipedia
Chaplin — ist der Familienname folgender Personen: Alexander Chaplin (* 1971), US amerikanischer Schauspieler Ben Chaplin (* 1970), britischer Schauspieler Blondie Chaplin (* 1951), südafrikanischer Gitarrist und Sänger Carmen Chaplin (* ?), US… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Chaplin (Homonymie) — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sommaire 1 Grande Bretagne 2 France 3 … Wikipédia en Français
Chaplin (homonymie) — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sommaire 1 Grande Bretagne 2 France 3 … Wikipédia en Français
Chaplin (película) — Chaplin Título Chaplin Ficha técnica Dirección Richard Attenborough Dirección artística Norman Dorme Prod … Wikipedia Español
Film canon — is the limited group of movies that serve as the measuring stick for the highest quality in the genre of film. Criticism of canonsThe idea of a film canon has been attacked as elitist. Thus some movie fans and critics prefer to simply compile… … Wikipedia