- Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Departments of the Government of Canada
Citizenship and Immigration Minister Jason Kenney Deputy Minister Neil Yeates Established 1994 Responsibilities Citizenship
Employees 5,000 Department Website
Citizenship and Immigration Canada is the department of the government of Canada with responsibility for issues dealing with immigration and citizenship. The department was established in 1994 following a reorganization within the federal government.
Prior to 1994 the immigration was placed under several ministries:
- Department of Immigration and Colonization 1917 to 1936
- Department of Mines and Resources 1936 to 1950
- Department of Citizenship and Immigration 1950 to 1966
- Department of Manpower and Immigration 1966 to 1977
- Department of Employment and Immigration 1977 to 1991
- Department of Multiculturalism and Citizenship 1991 to 1994
Immigration to Canada
This article is part of a series Topics Canadians
History of immigration
Economic impact of immigration
Population by year
Permanent Resident Card
Nationality law History of nationality law
Citizenship Act 1946
Immigration Act, 1976
Immigration Protection Act
Oath of Citizenship
Citizenship classes Permanent resident
"Canadians of convenience"
Demographics of Canada
CIC operates a large network of "Citizenship and Immigration Centres" throughout Canada and in an important number of embassies, high commissions and consulates abroad. Service Canada recently started to take over some of the domestic field operations of the department while the Canada Border Services Agency took over the control of enforcement and entry control at borders and airports.
CIC helps immigrants and refugees settle in Canada by funding organizations like the Canadian Caregivers Association to provide newcomers with settlement programs. These organizations are called service provider organizations.
The CIC funds the following programs through service provider organizations:
- Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada
- Immigrant Settlement and Adaptation Program (called the Integrated Service Program in Alberta)
- Host Program
- Resettlement Assistance Program (for resettled refugees)
The services provided under these programs include the following:
- Adult language classes in English and French
- Information on life in Canada
- Job searching
- Participation in community activities
- Access and referral to community resources
The Citizenship and Immigration Canada department employs 5,000 staff. In 2006 the Canadian government reduced the landing fee per immigrant by 50%. 
Current Citizenship and Immigration Structure
- Minister of Citizenship and Immigration
- Deputy Minister
- Assistant Deputy Minister, Strategic and Program Policy
- Assistant Deputy Minister, Operations
- Assistant Deputy Minister, Corporate Services
- Assistant Deputy Minister, Client Service Modernization
- Canada Border Services Agency
- Canadian nationality law
- Economic impact of immigration to Canada
- Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Immigration to Canada
- Permanent resident
- Temporary resident
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Department of Citizenship and Immigration Canada's channel on YouTube
- Going to Canada - Immigration Portal: A source of free and useful information for newcomers and prospective immigrants to Canada.
- Foreign Credentials Referral Office: Provides information, path-finding and referral services on foreign credential recognition to help foreign-trained workers
- Canadian Caregivers Association: Information and resources for caregivers on the Live-in Caregiver Program in Canada.
- Canada Immigration: An immigration site with details on Canada Immigration.
- CIC Inland Processing Times: A historical graphical record of processing times for applications processed within Canada.
- Immipedia: A community written guide to Canadian immigration.
- e-CAS Tracker: A tool that automatically notifies people when their application status is updated on Citizenship and Immigration Canada's e-CAS service.
- Mapleleaf Canada: A reputable immigration consulting company that focuses on helping immigrants to Canada.
- CanadaBaba - Latest Canadian Immigration Information: Free resource for Visas, Immigration, Settling and getting Citizenship in Canada
Multiculturalism in Canada Canadian Multiculturalism Act · Cultural mosaic · Culture of Canada (Canadian cultural protectionism) · Demography of Canada · Global Centre for Pluralism · Section Twenty-seven of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms Aboriginal peoples in Canada Bilingualism in Canada Immigration to Canada Race and ethnicity
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Citizenship and Immigration Canada — Infobox Canadian government departments department=Citizenship and Immigration logo=CIC Logo.jpg current minister=Diane Finley established=1994 responsibilities=CitizenshipImmigration employees=5,000 website=http://www.cic.gc.ca/The Department of … Wikipedia
Minister of Citizenship and Immigration (Canada) — Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Ministry Federal … Wikipedia
Minister of Employment and Immigration (Canada) — The Minister of Employment and Immigration was an office in the Cabinet of Canada, in operation from 1977 to 1996. On July 12, 1996, the office of the Minister of Employment and Immigration was abolished and replaced with the office of Minister… … Wikipedia
Minister of Fisheries and Oceans (Canada) — Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Ministry Federal Incumbent Keith Ashfield … Wikipedia
Fisheries and Oceans Canada — Departments of the Government of Canada Fisheries and Oceans Pêches et Océans … Wikipedia
Library and Archives Canada — building in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Type National Library and National Archives Established … Wikipedia
Canada Border Services Agency — Infobox Government agency agency name = Canada Border Services Agency nativename = Agence des services frontaliers du Canada nativename a = nativename r = logo width = 220px logo caption = seal width = 120px seal caption = formed = December 12,… … Wikipedia
Immigration to Canada — This article is part of a series Topics … Wikipedia
Canada Day — Children watch the Canada Day parade in Montreal Also called Fête du Canada; previously named Dominion Day Observed by Can … Wikipedia
Department of Canadian Heritage — Departments of the Government of Canada Canadian Heritage Minis … Wikipedia