- City of Elizabeth
Prior to the 1950s, most of the area surrounding today's suburb of Elizabeth was farming estates. After the end of the Second World War and the accompanying shortage of materials, the state government decided that South Australia needed to grow and become an industrialised state.
A "satellite city" was planned for the Elizabeth area, and the South Australian Housing Trust initiated a housing development program in the area, with a purchase of 3,000 acres (1,200 hectares) of rural land between the older "country towns" (now Adelaide suburbs) of Salisbury and Smithfield.
The City of Elizabeth was formed on 16 November 1955, being named after Queen Elizabeth II, who visited the city in 1963.
As well as the Town Centre, originally with open air shopping malls and theatre (named "The Octagon"), Elizabeth had residential suburbs (the earliest being Elizabeth South and Elizabeth North) each configured as a local community around a small shopping centre - each originally contained a supermarket, bank, hotel and service station along with other shops. Major employers such as Holden and the Long Range Weapons Establishment (later Weapons Research Establishment (WRE), now Defence Science and Technology Organisation (DSTO)) moved into the area, and migrants were encouraged to settle in Elizabeth and its suburbs.
Elizabeth had large areas of open space, with the most prominent being Fremont Park, on Main North Road. Elizabeth was the sister city of Fremont, California; Lake Elizabeth in Fremont Central Park is named for the city.
Elizabeth is now part of the City of Playford, the City of Elizabeth having merged with the City of Munno Para in 1997.
- ^ Elizabeth Shopping Centre website
- ^ Ariel rocks the Octagon, 1973, Treasures of the State Library, State Library of South Australia.
- The Octagon Theatre Elizabeth was a multi-use auditorium specially designed for a wide range of activities. Built by the City of Elizabeth, it was completed in August 1965 and was a centre for live entertainment for the central and northern suburbs of Adelaide until it was closed in January 2003. The floorboards from the theatre were refurbished and used in the Great Hall of the City of Playford's new Civic Centre which opened in March 2004.
- ^ "Central Park (Lake Elizabeth)". City of Fremont. http://www.fremont.gov/index.aspx?NID=317. Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- ^ There are many news stories and television transcripts referring to Barnes childhood in Elizabeth - very small selection: The Advertiser, 26 April 2008; Enough Rope, 11 October 2004; Talking Heads, 24 March 2008; etc.
- ^ John Swan, Enough Rope, 10 December 2007, www.abc.net.au
- ^ Swanee, John Swan's official website
- ^ Thompson, Peter (17 May 2010). "Glenn Shorrock transcript". Talking Heads with Peter Thompson. Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC). http://www.abc.net.au/tv/talkingheads/txt/s2895289.htm. Retrieved 14 July 2010.
- City of Elizabeth is at coordinates Coordinates:
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
City of Elizabeth v. American Nicholson Pavement Co. — City of Elizabeth v. American Nicholson Pavement Co. Supreme Court of the United States Argued October, 187 … Wikipedia
Elizabeth, New Jersey — City of Elizabeth, New Jersey City Motto: Where history meets present Map of Elizabeth in Union C … Wikipedia
City of Playford — South Australia Population: 77,469(2009) … Wikipedia
Elizabeth, South Australia — Elizabeth is a suburb in the northern extent of Adelaide, South Australia. It was established in 1955 as a master planned satellite town by the South Australian Housing Trust on convert|3000|acre|ha|lk=on of rural land between the older towns of… … Wikipedia
Elizabeth City County, Virginia — Elizabeth City County was a county in southeastern Virginia from 1634 to 1952. Originally created in 1634 as Elizabeth River Shire, it was one of eight shires created in the Virginia Colony by order of the King of England. In 1636, it was… … Wikipedia
City Lodge Port Elizabeth (Port Elizabeth) — City Lodge Port Elizabeth country: South Africa, city: Port Elizabeth (Summerstrand) City Lodge Port Elizabeth Location Located just 8 minutes from Port Elizabeth s CBD, City Lodge is just 10 minutes from the Port Elizabeth Airport. It is across… … International hotels
Elizabeth (Nueva Jersey) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda City of Elizabeth Localización de Elizabeth en el condado de Union Ubicación … Wikipedia Español
Elizabeth Township, New Jersey — Elizabeth Township, also called Elizabethtown, was a township that existed in Essex County, in the U.S. state of New Jersey, from 1664 until 1855.The area was initially part of the Elizabethtown Tract, purchased from the Native Americans on… … Wikipedia
Elizabeth City — Elizabeth City, NC U.S. city in North Carolina Population (2000): 17188 Housing Units (2000): 7463 Land area (2000): 8.937017 sq. miles (23.146766 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.624917 sq. miles (1.618527 sq. km) Total area (2000): 9.561934 sq.… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Elizabeth City, NC — U.S. city in North Carolina Population (2000): 17188 Housing Units (2000): 7463 Land area (2000): 8.937017 sq. miles (23.146766 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.624917 sq. miles (1.618527 sq. km) Total area (2000): 9.561934 sq. miles (24.765293 sq.… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places