- Code: Breaker
Cover of the first volume
Genre Action, School Life, Supernatural, Comedy Manga Written by Akimine Kamijyo Published by Kodansha English publisher Del Rey Demographic Shōnen Magazine Weekly Shōnen Magazine Original run June 9, 2008 – ongoing Volumes 15
Code:Breaker (コード: ブレイカー Kōdo:Bureikā ) is a manga written and illustrated by Akimine Kamijyo running in Weekly Shōnen Magazine through Kodansha. It tells the story of a high-school girl who is trained in martial arts and a new transfer student, a boy with mysterious powers.
Riding the bus one day, Sakura Sakurakouji looks out the window to see people being burned alive with a blue fire as a boy her age remains unharmed and stands over the people. When she goes back to the site the next day, there are no corpses or evidence of any kind of murder, just a small fire. When Sakura goes to class, she discovers the new transfer student is the same boy she saw the day before. Sakura soon learns that he is Rei Ogami, the sixth "Code: Breaker," a special type of assassin with a strange ability and a member of a secret organization that serves the government.
- Sakura Sakurakouji (桜小路 桜 Sakurakōji Sakura )
- The main character, Sakura, is thought of as cute and helpless by boys who think they should protect her. However, she's actually a martial arts expert and turns down guys who ask her out based on their protective feelings because they don't know the real her. The story is told from Sakura's perspective, but her influence on the plot is bare minimal (despite her efforts).
- Prior to the storyline, she found an old dog whose homeless owner had died a few months before the start of the story. She attempts to befriend the dog whom she promptly names "Dog" (｢犬｣ "Inu" ). Her attempts are fruitless until Ogami comes. She is immune to Rei's fire and cannot be burned for reasons unknown which strongly draws the interest of the Code: Breaker organization leading her to be dubbed as a "Rare Kind (珍種 Chinshu )". Later through the story she is able to dispel other Code: Breakers' abilities, leading one to believe that her ability is that she negates the abilities of others. Together with her fighting skills, this makes Sakura a formidable force against other Code: Breakers and Re-Codes. She also seems to have a superior sense of smell, able to tell the real Yuuki from the fake by his smell, tell it's Ren in a costume, and even smell someone's personality.
- Sakura disagrees strongly with Ogami regarding his views on people, specifically criminals, and that they are trashes who need to die. It is later revealed that she is the daughter to the most respected head of the yakuza. After the fight with Haruto, she tells Rei that she was adopted by her parents when he tries to find albums of before she was 5. She was spared by Ogami because of her identity as a "rare kind". She cannot be affected by Ogami's flame at all and by hugging Kanda, she was able to cancel out Hitomi's electric mind control. She managed to completely reverse Yukihina's "Eternity Zero" although it used up all her power. Like the Code: Breakers, if she uses too much of her ability, she will revert to the size of a doll. Hitomi has hidden a key that the Re-Codes are looking for with "Puppy" (｢子犬｣ "Koinu" ). After being kidnapped by "The one being Sought", she now has his tattoo on the back of her neck, something that greatly upsets Rei. She also remembers that she met "The one being Sought" back with she was a child and give the key to him, which means the key is originally Sakura's. She later met Inoichi in chapter 65 and in 66 when Sakura was in danger, Sakura had a flashback, remembering she knows Inoichi and Inoichi had always protected her and always stayed by her side.
- It is highly suggested in the later part of the series that there is more to her and the world of the Codes that she is unaware of, where the Code: Breakers deliberately had her leave to go on a camping trip while they fought the Re-Codes at the Shibuya Mansion.
- It was also revealed in chapter 75, "he" said that the room where Pandora'a Box was being kept (beyond the door, only accessible with the card key) was exactly the same as it was when their mother died (Ogami and "the one being sought") and that her death was caused by Sakura and "the one being sought" also mention that Sakura's memories should be starting to come back.
- In chapter 76, it was said that Ogami's and "the one being sought"'s mother die because of protecting Sakura, during that time, Ogami, Inochi, and Hitomi was there with Sakura during that incident, meaning Oogami already met Sakura when they were younger.
- In Chapter 77 it is revealed that she her real father is the Student Council President. In previous chapters, he has also stated that Sakura must not realize that she herself is a Rare Kind, otherwise, she cannot return to a normal lifestyle. It was also stated that the Student Council President didn't want Sakura to become like himself, a non-existent person because of the power of the rare kind.
- In Chapter 111 it is revealed that sakuras real mother was one of the four founders of eden.
- In Chapters 112 onward, it appears as though Sakura unknowingly has gained a crush on Ogami. When he initiates a hug towards her for the first time to prove that he was still warm and alive, her entire face turns red. When asked, she states that it was the first time he hugged her, so she was surprised, but Ogami didn't understand why she was blushing. In Chapter 113, Sakura grabs his fingers, saying that they were warm and the Emperor should be alive. Ogami moves to hold her whole hand, and once again she inexplicably blushes and stutters. Ogami, however, thinks that it is a 'feature of the rare kind' and thinks that he should do some more tests to examine her.
- IT was revealed that in chapter 122, when Sakura and Ogami are childhood friends and she was the one that took Ogami's arm, reasons are still not revealed yet.
- 06 Rei Ogami (大神 零 Ogami Rei )
- The protagonist/antihero is a mysterious young boy about whom not much is known. His first appearance in the manga is when Sakura sees him in the park, and immediately becomes a transfer student at her school the next day. He wears a black glove on his left hand. His part time job is eliminating the "trash (悪人 Gomi )" of the people. He has so far eliminated a local gang called G-falcon who were attacking Sakurakouji and Dog, the local yakuza who controlled G-falcon, and a group of corrupt police officers, one of them vaguely knowing who the Code: Breakers are. He also apparently killed his own parents. His Code: Breaker codename is Code: 06, stating he is the weakest of the Code: Breakers.
- Ogami's left hand is capable of causing anything he touches (aside from Sakura) to combust into blue flames. However, in chapter 31 it is revealed that the ring around his thumb is a limiter, where when removed he no longer needs to touch to cause combustion and it is stated to surpass a Code: 01. He covers it with a black leather glove when he doesn't use his power, where this glove was given to him by his brother, and wears it as a reminder to kill him. It is later revealed that his arm is not his own, explaining why his fire power only comes from his left arm and not his right. In chapter 102 it is stated that he had died once while he was younger, and that the left arm he has now acts as a heart for him because it governs life and death, without it he would die. The Lost for Rei after using his power for extended periods causes him to have a high fever along with a lower body temperature and, like all other Code: Breakers, won't be able to use his power again until exactly 24 hours have elapsed. After the resurrection of "Code: Emperor", however, his lost form changes into invisibility, lasing for less than 24 hours. Ogami's left arm is not his; in fact, it belongs to the Code: Emperor. He is supposed to eliminate any witnesses to his powers, but he cannot fulfill this in Sakura's case because he cannot cause her to combust. As the story progresses, Ogami grows fond of Sakura. He become protective of her but denies it by acting cold. This grows more evident where he was willing to put on a stupid costume under the belief it would help Sakura return to normal size and became completely disociated after Sakura was kidnapped by "The one being Sought" to where he didn't realize he came to school in his pajamas and brought canned food instead of his school books.
- Ogami believes strongly in the idea behind the Code of Hammurabi, often citing the quote "Eye for eye (目には目を Me ni wa me o ), Tooth for tooth (歯には歯を Ha ni wa ha o )" and adding on "EVIL for EVIL (悪には悪を Aku ni wa aku o )" Ogami fulfills a role similar to an anti-hero. Although he seems totally uncaring towards anyone, Sakura notes that his actions contradict his words and that he wouldn't go to such lengths if he didn't truly care. This is later shown where he has a complete uncaring attitude to Lily's mercenary's threats, only to react when he attempted to kill a pregnant woman. He also appears to have a hobby in swordsmanship and is quite skilled as well, able to slice through arrows while still in . He has completed studying under the student council president, strengthening his power and is currently heading to face the Re-Codes. On the fight with "The one being Sought" Oogami has memories of his life with "The one being Sought". Ogami ends up killing "The one being Sought",his brother, but had to be protected by Toki, Yuuki, and Sakura. This makes him stronger because he doesn't want his friends to get hurt for him. After defeating "The one being Sought" Ogami starts daydreaming and making models of castles. He starts staring into space as if regretting having killed his brother. He also gets a new power The Black Flame called Belphegor in chapter 104 which is strong enough to burn Yuuki's "Sound" but at a price. And his blue flame, "Satan's flame", also came at a price which was his sense of taste.In chapter 111 the emperor gives him an another power called the Mammon while fighting with heike. In chapter 121 it is revealed that he was the one that taught Sakura how to love living things, and was the one that made her to love hugging people. In chapter 87 Ogami first meets the Emperor who appears as a small flame.
- Flame away. (燃え散れ。 Moechire. ): He creates intensely hot blue flame that surrounds and burn the enemy.
The mysterious organization that controls the Code: Breakers. They give orders to the Code: Breakers of corrupt politicians that need to be assassinated or people that need to be protected from assassination. Despite their need for Code: Breakers, they often refer to them as merely dogs and will get rid of them if they are no longer useful or see them as a future threat despite the fact they have done nothing wrong. It has been stated there are three people who control EDEN currently, though the only one revealed so far is Fujiwara's dad.
EDEN was founded during the Meiji Era 100 years ago by the Emperor, Heike, Sakurakouji Sakurako, and one other currently unknown person.
- Fujiwara's dad
- He is Nenene and Toki's father and the Prime Minister of Japan. He is also revealed to be the mastermind of Eden, making him a prime target for assassination attempts. After the One Being Sought's attack, he disappeared for a time. He has recently appeared to offer Toki the power of the "Joker"
- A top secret organization involved in the killing of evils who the law cannot bring to justice. There are only six in existence at any time. The code numbers does not necessarily indicate their strength, but indicate the time when they started working for Eden. However, Code: Breaker 01, also known as the Ace, is typically the strongest of the six. Each Code: Breaker adds their own addition to the Code of Hammurabi. Their abilities operate on a limited capacity and will have adverse effects on the body if overused, resulting in a loss of their powers for 24 hours, also called "lost form". It is later revealed that Code: Breaker will eventually die from their own powers. Aside from the Ace, all the current Code: Breakers have been revealed. Code: Breaker who are extraordinarily strong are given code names instead of code numbers.
- 02 Masaomi Heike (平家 将臣 Heike Masaomi )
- A classmate of Sakura and Rei, and the Student Council Secretary. At first glance, it is believed he was the one orchestrating the execution of yakuza children. Soon after, he is revealed to be Code: Breaker 02 and backup for Rei and Toki. He is referred to as the "Judge" because he is in charge of evaluating the other Code: Breaker and giving them a score based on how well they finished their mission. He places a higher value on life, even those of evil power. Because of this, he prefers to eternally bind their mind to death instead of actually killing them. He has the ability to manipulate light and he utilizes this very effectively. For example, he is able to relay information from the Eden main computer to retrieve necessary data. Although he is extremely powerful, he cannot fully control his own powers. His coat is special in that it contains his powers. When he takes off his coat, his body emits a shining light. Without his coat, he would lose his powers too quickly and revert to his lost form. It is currently unknown what his lost form looks like because whenever he reverts, he always wears a costume. He is shown to have extreme hatred towards Code: Breaker 05 because she used to be a Re-Code but changed sides. Despite his attitude towards her, he does end up saving her from Yukihina, whom he fought in the last great war non-stop for 3 days and nights which ended in a tie because they both reverted to their lost form. He softens his attitude towards Code: Breaker 05 after the battle with Re-Codes.
- It is revealed in chapter 109 that Heike (along with the Emperor) is part of the founding generation of Eden and he is 100 years old and probably more powerful than the Code: Names. Despite this he allows the Names to mistreat him. He is also often seen reading an erotic book when not fighting ( this usually takes place in Sakura's and Oogami's school ),and where Toki goes far enough to point this out as him being an Hentai (Pervert) or a Pedo, but Heike denying as an 'art' or either leading up to punishing him in a comical humour.
- Code of Hammurabi: "And Eternal Shackles for the Wicked"
- Code of Hammurabi: "And Eternal Sleep for the Dead"
- Great Fantasy (グレートファンタジー Gurēto Fantajī ): Used to connect himself to a phone jack to relay and download information with his mind
- Eternal Binding of Death: Traps the enemies mind within an eternal illusion of death
- Death Reaction: Used to move fast enough to cut bullets with his whip faster than others can react
- Open the mind: Used to create a torrent of light, destroying all once he removes his jacket.
- 03 Yuuki Tenpouin (天宝院 遊騎 Tenpōin Yūki )
- The current Code: 03. At first glance, he seems pretty calm to the point of childish but goes on a rampage if anyone even brushes him. When he's first introduced he hadn't eaten in three days, forgot where he lived, lost his wallet and gave his phone to a stranger and spent the rest of his money on a crane game. Ogami described him as the "most barbaric Code: Breaker". He speaks using Kansai-ben. Despite his violent tendencies, he genuinely rewards kindness, and apologizes by giving gifts to people. In chapter 35, he gives Sakura a stuffed animal for her genuine concern for his well-being, and in Chapter 36, he attempts to get a golden toy for Toki as compensation for beating him up, even though he didn't want it. In chapter 36, he admits that he hates Eden, but has joined the organization so that he can take it down. A major love of his is the stuffed animal named Nyanmaru. In recent, he has mistaken Sakura as the true identity of Nyanmaru when her saying reminds him of the animated character, as such he calls her Nyanmaru instead of her name. He hates Heike and unlike the others he doesn't fear him, he went so far as to pour tea on his head. He seems to have suffered a traumatic past, resulting in him becoming kind rather than evil.
- His ability is the control of 'sound' which allows him to listen and identify sounds from distance, travel at the speed of sound and manipulate sound waves to attack. Like Heike, he too seems to not prefer the idea of killing, as he went out of his way to save a pregnant woman and a small child from an explosion. His addition to the Code of Hammurabi has yet to be revealed. When angered his skin turns red and when he overuses his powers, his Lost is a small, red cat but he still retains his rage (as well as his ability to speak and his trademark collar), attacking anyone who made fun of him in that form. In chapter 85, he has even been shown to be more bad-mouthed in his Lost form. This form could also explain why he is so fond of the anime character Nyanmaru. When was a child he destroyed things by accident just by speaking since he couldn't control his power, Makoto who was his friend who made a form of Morse code for him. He also knows Shigure of the Re-Codes. He also refers to his friends as numbers. The Student Council President also hints in Chapter 63 that Yuuki is not currently his "Real Self".
- He sleeps in a mansion and is referred to as President (社長 Shachō ) by the servants. He is actual very intelligent, graduating at the age of 12 but only because he hated studying. He runs a successful corporation that focuses around his childish ideas to create cartoon characters. However all the ones he made he believes they aren't nearly as good as Nyanmaru. He is currently staying at the Student Council President's house after his house was completely destroyed.
- Scarlet Phoneme: Uses very high density sound waves as a shell to shelter and revitalize his body.
- Sound Life: Yuuki used this technique to pass his powers on to Oogami. It was taken away later as a payment for the flame of Belphegor by Code: Emperor.
- 04 Toki Fujiwara (藤原 刻 Fujiwara Toki )
- Another person who is a Code: Breaker like Rei. Like his sister, who is one of Sakura's schoolmate, he has heterochromia and is seen to be a chain smoker. He also appears to be one of the more recently recruited Code: Breakers, as he seems to be totally unaware of the others' abilities, and forces Rei to explain them for him. After he is introduced, it's shown that he is more sociable, lies easier, and is stronger than Rei (as he is able to grab a hold of Rei's left arm, while it's on fire, to use it to light his cigarette), and seems to know Rei's history. He is also the Code: Breaker with the most interactions with the others so far seen in the series, evident with his antagonistic relationship with Rei and somewhat fearful reverence with both Heike and Yuuki. His Code: Breaker codename is Code: 04. His power has to do with magnetism, and he is able to bend metal doors, destroy electronic equipment, redirect bullets, levitate metallic objects as projectiles, and has a sonar-like sense of any metal around him and knows what metal goes where (ie. a key to a lock). However, if he uses his powers too much, he shrinks to the size of a toddler (strongly resembling Nenene). He also has great eyesight, his sight being 8.0 out of his left eye (a different system than the 20/20 vision; 2.0 being the best eyesight a normal person can have, so a sight of 8.0 implies that his sight is 4 times better than the normal human) and 1.2 in his right, giving him the ability to snipe with hand guns. He is a student to Heisei-Gakuin High School, an elite school that Sakura wishes she could get into; however he shows no care for it and regularly skips, stating he only goes to that school because it was the closest school to his house. Also like his sister, he enjoys groping Sakura's breasts, often smothering his face between them and touching them. He also gropes most other girls in his childish form, which puppy bites him for. He tends to act more childishly, to the point of being immature whenever he shrinks into his younger self than usual, and has a strong tendency to be easily annoyed with Yuuki's antics. He, like Ogami, uses the Code of Hammurabi except his addition is "The Steel Hammer of Justice for Evil (悪には正義の鉄鎚を Aku ni wa Seigi no Tettsui o )". His father is the Prime Minister and the target of Hitomi. He doesn't seem to care very much for his father, although he cares deeply for Nenene and he claims that he only saves his father because if he died then "Nenene would be all alone." Like Rei, Toki is not entirely defenseless whenever he loses his abilities, as he has displayed to be a very skilled marksman, in his child form, in chapter 40. He apparently thinks Sakura is strange based on his comments about her actions but cares for her in his own way because Sakura does the same reckless things like his sister. He became a Code: Breaker to kill the Re-Code: 03 because Nenene supposedly died (most likely losing her memories) defending him when he was a child. When he becomes serious he uses hydrargyrum (liquid mercury), which he can control to be as hard or flexible as he needs, and he can even make a mercury clone. Toki reveals that he gave up everything, including his family and name, for the sake of defeating the one who "killed" Nenene. He goes as far as calling Re-Code: 03 his prey, warning the other Code: Breakers not interfere. He was badly injured after challenging Kouji, Re-Code: 03, so he trained under Shibuya and is heading to protect Pandora's Box.
- He fights Kouji and loses, with the latter taking him away to "The One being Sought".
- It is revealed in Chapter 74 that Toki's Magnetism was not inherited from his father (who is suspected of having a power because he works for Eden) is actually inherited from Nenene, she gave him half her magnetism when they were younger because she wanted him to stay her brother when he wanted to run away because he had no special power.
- Later, Kouji revealed that Toki is the 'Joker' of Eden, when Eden sent stronger Code:Breakers than Toki (Heike and Yuuki) to take the Emperor's arm. In chapter 116 it is revealed that his real 'Magnetism' power was sealed away in pandora's box by Prime Minister Fujiwara only to be claimed by Toki again when his dad offered it to him.
- Code of Hammurabi: "And the Hammer of Justice for the Wicked"
- Gauss Cannon: His most powerful attack. He gathers two large balls of scrap metal. He holds one with one arm then uses his attraction to slam the second one into his other, making his body into a connector which causes the ball he is holding to fly at incredible speeds. However this attack has a major drawback, as the damage of slamming the ball into his arm causes major harm to said arm, making it so he could only use that attack twice without causing permanent injury to himself. With joker power released, he has now able to use this tehcnique to such extend; gathers and shoot several great balls of scrap metal more easily while no sign of burden to him.
- Oersted Cannon Ball: This technique was used via earth magnetic field which enable him to attract any metal while floating them and use them to attack opponent.
- Tesla Gatling: with the power of Geomagnetism, enable him to attract any metal all over vicinity and formed them into burst-like straight canon strong enough to nullify third flame "Mammon"; Toki also able to made it into stronger version called "Dynamo Webber Vulcan"
They are four members of the Code: Breakers whose skills are so strong they are given Names instead of Numbers. Unlike the Numbers, the Names are allowed to kill whoever they wish, such as the Closer killing innocent civilians merely because a person bumped into him. Some are even shown to possess two abilities rather than just one. It is currently unknown what purpose the Code: Names are given within Eden.
- Nothing much is known at this point, except that Oogami's left arm belong to him. He controls the "Azure Flame" which is strongest ability known to Eden and the Code: Breakers, where the flames are said to be the souls of the dead. Oogami is the only one that can control the Emperor's powers, as anyone else that was given the arm burst into flames. He is later revealed to have sealed a piece of his soul in his arm and now appears as a small ball of fire. The Emperor also has a crush on Rui, but tries to hide this over the statement of wanting to beat her. He is known to control the seven flames which are the incarnation of the seven deadly sins. He is one of the founders of Eden together with Heike and Sakurakouji Sakurako (Sakura's real mother).
- His real name is Saechika Hachiouji, he is Rui's brother who she thought was dead. He has Shadow like Rui, but which he shapes like wolves and shotgun-like bursts to attack, or chains and cages to bind. Like Code: Seeker, he has a second power; in this case, an as-of-yet unnamed power that causes everything in a perimeter around him to die (although Rei was able to resist enough to only be immobilized). He has shown to have an obsession with his sister, wishing to "cage" her so she would only sing for him.
- Revenger (高津 あおば Takatsu Aoba )
- Her real name is Takatsu Aoba. Code:Revenger's existence was initially revealed in chapter 97 where she revealed her identity to Toki (but not to the readers) and offered to fix his arm. In the same chapter, Kouji mentions to Rei that one of his classmates is a Code:Name. At first it is strongly hinted that Uesugi is the Code:Name but this is proven to be false when introduces himself as a RE-Code in chapter 107. In chapter 108, Uesugi reveals the true identity Code:Revenger's in front of all her classmates (and to the readers). As a result Aoba attacks Ogami in front of everyone and easily defeats him. Ogami initially thinks Aoba's power involves her superhuman speed and strength, Uesugi however states that Aoba has yet to use her power, meaning her superhuman physical abilities are part of her raw potential. She is strong enough to completely defeat Ogami and Uesugi without taking any damage at all and crush brick walls with her punches. Aoba's special power is later revealed to be the ability to manipulate time of an object/person that she touches. For instance if she gets hurt she can revert her own time to a moment before she took damage, and thereby nullify the effect of the other person's attack this is called "Time change in Object" . Aoba's reason for revenge and reason that she became a Code:Name can be traced back to an event where almost everyone at the church she had grown up as an orphan at were murdered. Aoba seems convinced that she saw Ogami burn down the church and everyone in it. It is unclear if this is true but Ogami hasn't tried to deny it. In chapter 119/120 she turns Ogami into a child using her power. Should be noted that she does not seem to know anything about Eden's past or Ogami and also seems incredibly naive, meaning that she is more than likely merely a pawn in Eden's plot.
0? Shigure (時雨 Shigure )
- First appears in chapter 50, a boy with glasses. He kills several people by slicing into pieces for disrupting him while feeding kittens. He has a bar code above his left eye. He seems to know Yuuki and wants to kill him since he supposedly killed Makoto. His special power is "Ash", being able to absorb Yuuki's "Sound" and rendering Oogami's "Flame" useless. He is later "killed" by The One Being Sought after being deemed weak by him. However, after His death, it was revealed that the body was a Ash clone, and he took possession of the Pandora's Box himself. He later meets a unidentified man(turns out to be Saechika) and is shown to be one of the Code: Names.
Ex Code: Breakers
- Ex-01 Hitomi (人見 Hitomi )
- An Ex Code: Breaker. He is "lackadaisical and never gives a straight answer" according to Oogami. He left the organization for reasons that Oogami does not know. He is said to have strength, greatness, and intelligence. He can control electricity as his Code: Breaker power. He has been revealed to have once been Code: 01, the most powerful Code: Breaker (and the fact that when he left his position Rei became the new 06, which means the previous 02 is now the 01 and etc). He is able to control people by electrocuting certain parts of a person's brain and control them like puppets but doing this, by Rei's description, they are unable to return back to a normal state of mind. However through Sakura's Rare Kind abilities she negates it through touch. It is hinted that Hitomi knows something about Sakura's past and powers. His overall plan is to bring the Code: Breakers out of the shadows and recognized by the public as heroes, as he is tired at the fact that they are nothing more than teenagers being "dogs of Eden" and the fact they are cast off when no longer needed. By doing this he plans to kill 50,000 people and the Prime Minister on live national television, bringing the world to such chaos they will call out for people who will fight evil by any means necessary, that being the Code: Breakers. After his plan is thwarted by the Code: Breakers, he dies after he succumbs to his Code: End. All of the Code: Breakers promised to remember him. He has apparently stolen a key from Eden and hid it with Sakura in chapter 33 along with a phrase "The 32nd of December". He did this without her knowledge, probably as a way to get around That Guy's mind reading ability. On an interesting note he was part of the group that met Rei on his introduction, though it was stated he was already an Ex when Rei joined, though this could merely be that he was still on good terms with Eden at this time.
- Flash Over: Creates a room full of lighting
- Arc Tension: Creates electricity capable of melting steel
- Ex-04 Nenene Fujiwara (藤原 寧々音 Fujiwara Nenene )
- She is Toki's older sister (although she seems, looks and acts younger than he is). She doesn't know that she has a brother. She is in second year and vice-president of the student council. Like her brother she has heterochromia but hides it by wearing glasses. She has a strange habit of grabbing Sakura's breasts out of nowhere (something her brother tries to do to Sakura as well), cuddling herself against them and falling asleep on them; going so far as to name them (Mii-tan for the right and Hii-tan for the left). She also appears to have a possessive attachment to them, where after hearing the rumors that Sakura is going out with Rei she latched to her tightly and states she won't give up Hii-tan and Mii-tan. In Chapter 34, she is hinted at being the last Ex Code: Breaker where in Chapter 45 it was confirmed. Though it has been stated that she was killed by Re-Code: 03, which could explain having no memory of her brother. She refers to Toki as Magness, based on his magnetic ability. Her code number, or addition to the Code of Hammurabi has yet been stated.
- In chapter 74 it is stated that Nenene's power was magnetism, and was of such a high level (she gave half her power to Toki, but still had enough to carry on being a Code: Breaker, and for him to become a Code: Breaker), she is shown levitating several magnetic weights.
- In the same chapter she also gave half her power to Toki because he wanted to leave the house because he didn't like being there with people with powers, so Nenene gave him half her power so he would stay because he was her brother. Heike mentions to Toki that by doing so, Nenene gave up half of her life, thereby significantly decreasing future mission success rates. In 89, her memories come back for a short period of time thanks to the power of the Pandora's box, and she's able to have a little conversation with Toki.
- Others with powers that work against the Code: Breakers. They are led by a man described as "the one being sought". They all seem to follow the belief that "Justice is Strength". Each one of them sees absolutely no value in human life, and will kill anyone for just crossing their path. Some even find joy in killing hundreds of innocent people just to do so or even their own teammates when they are deemed no longer worthy. It is currently unknown why they have these views, but it appears it is because of the cruel actions they suffered at the hands of people because of their powers, but it is also stated one loses their soul looking into The One Being Sought's eyes, suggesting some form of mind control, it could also be because they see themselves as Gods, as they usually have God in their nickname (Rui was the God Guardian where Kouji is known as the God of Destruction). Unlike the Code: Breakers, there appears to only be four Re-Code agents though it is said that there were six of them by Sendou.
The One Being Sought/The Seeking One/Code: Seeker
- The one Rei is looking for (｢捜シ物｣ "Sagashimono" lit. "The one being sought" ) is none other than Rei's brother, his identifying marking is the tattoo on the back of his right hand. After their parent's apparent death at Rei's hands (later revealed to actually have been done by himself), he had taken care of him, teaching Rei all he needed to survive. He leads other teens with powers to cause destruction and chaos with his true goal to find a key, which has been said that Hitomi stole it from Eden and put it in Sakura. This Key opens a room called Pandora's Box. If Sendou statement was true he does not care for the ones working for him, and will have them killed them when they are no longer useful. This is later proven to be true, as he kills his own Re-Codes after he got the Pandora's Box, stating he doesn't want weak people working for him. Yuuki has stated that one will lose their soul if one looks into his eyes, which could be the reason why everyone who works for him has, in a way, lost their soul. When we finally see him unmasked, he has a katana beside him while like his brother he is very skilled at using, being able to attack while not appearing to move and stating this has nothing to do with his ability. He's looking for a key and can apparently read minds. His true name has never been stated, even the Re-Code call him That Guy or The one being sought (｢捜シ物｣ "Sagashimono" lit. "The one being sought" ) (though it has been stated by Rei that it is his current name, so none of the characters could be using their real names). After kidnapping Sakura, he returns her to the Student Council President after he came by, however appears to have made a deal with him about the key he is looking for. It was also revealed through Sakura's memories that she remembered meeting him back when she was a child and give the key to him when she was a child, though he was the same age now as the time she met him.
- In Chapter 77, he reveals that his "Lost" is reverting to his former self, both in terms of his body and his heart, being stuck in his Lost form because of the Pandora's Box. That is why he looks like a younger Oogami when he arrives at Shibuya Mansion. This revealing that he is very powerful, as up till now he has been fighting in his Lost form. His true form is a man around his late twenties with a large scar running down his left eye to his waist. His personality also changes, becoming more vocal and even asking how his little brother has been doing, if he had a girlfriend, and if he had been eating well. He doesn't believe in 'justice' and that strength is the true "justice", believing that the strongest get to do whatever they want. He has two special powers the first is "Absolute Space", being able to add or deplete space instantaneously,the second "cell regeneration" being able to regenerate cells to heal wounds. This makes him a very difficult opponent.
- He is described by kouji as "The one who possesses two marvelous powers with high intelligence, the heart of pride which cherishes justice and respects lives... the pursuer of universal truth, "Code: Seeker"...He is the privileged being who was deemed the "Seeking One"". However, it's his insight that looks to the surrounding and movements of trivial humans, as if he's reading their minds. And his conceit, it's impossible for normal people to tell what he's thinking. His overbearing skill gave people what resembled terror. "Eden" feared him as a "yet-to-be-seen threat", and planned for his obliteration.
- He finally meets his death by the hands of Rei, who thrusted his inferno arm through his chest and kept it there to prevent his heart from regenerating.
- 05 Rui Hachiouji
- The current Code: 05. Rui is nicknamed Prince. At first, Sakura thought she was a man, but she is actually a woman. Rui acts very much like a tomboy but is truthfully immensely shy. She seems to know "Shibuya"'s true identity and that is why he fears her. Her ability allows her to manipulate her shadows and at the time she lost her power, she changed into a mermaid. She is very strong, headbutting Toki and the others without passing out herself (only Sakura seems to be able to perfectly put up with this habit). In the past she worked for "the one being sought" as revealed by pictures of her standing with Kouji and Yukihina. Her addition to the Code of Hammurabi is "and the punishment of death for evil".
- When she was part of the Re-Code she was known as the "Shadow" user referred to as the iron wall defense by past Re-Codes, also called the God Guardian, a graceful Re-Code; She also served as Hiyori's surrogate parent, which is why in chapter 69 she only fought against her after Yuuki was injured. Though at first she answered Sakura's question about why she was a Code: Breaker with another question, she later confirms the reason was because the thing she need to protect is no longer in the Re-Codes. She also seem to know about Sakura's past when talking to the President in chapter 63. She is currently holding onto the key card. It has been commented that she is the strongest Code: Breaker, suggesting her lower number stems from her past position as a Re-Code. It is later revealed that she only joined because the Code:Seeker asked her to protect Rei, and after Rei left the Code: Breakers she returned to the Re-Codes.
- Shaei: "Fending shadow" used to protect by creating an area of shadow from all other things
- Zan-ei: "Slashing Shadow" used to attack by slicing others shadows (the damage done to the shadow becomes real).
- Empress Paradox: The ultimate form of cladding herself in both defense and offense but it eventually attacks her as she can't control it
- Kouji is highly praised for his combat skills and was the one to "kill" Nenene. He is known as scarred Re-Code: 03 and also granted title "God of destruction". When he first meets Toki, Kouji spares him because he believes that weak people aren't worthy to be killed by him. He has one power, "Void". Despite having one power, he is strong enough to fight on par with the Code:Names. It was this power that protected him from Toki's liquid mercury attack as well as the Code: Closers shadow attack. When he loses his power, Kouji transforms into a wolf. Despite his calm personality, he can go into a sadistic battle rampage when he finds a strong opponent. He also mentioned to Toki that he once made a promise to Rui before she left that he will never lose to anyone. His list form is a silent wolf.
- Vacuum: He creates a temporary vacuum around him stripping abilities that rely on air of their power.
- Crash Down: He uses air pressure that comes down and crushes his enemy.
- Aerial Wall: He uses a wall of air to protect himself.
- Kamikaze: He creates a defensive barrier
- Kamiarashi: He creates a vacuum radiating from his body, reflecting attacks back at the opponent.
- 04 Yukihina (雪比奈)
- Not much is known about Yukihina other than the fact he appears to be much stronger than Lily, as he knocked her out with one punch and takes on 3 Code: Breakers at once (though they had just gone through a lengthy battle before and Yuuki was in his cat form). He has a past with Rei with a desire to one day kill him. Through Sendou's description of the top 6 Re-Code (similar to the Code: Breakers), Yukihina appears to be Re-Code: 04. He follows "Him" because of how he does not hesitate to kill anyone, seeing as being around him it will never get "boring". His ability is described as one that can counter Rei's fire as he is able to control and create ice and snow by freezing water vapor, making him the second character that can't be burned by Rei's flame. He can also break his body down into ice. His name is a pun off his abilities, as Yuki in Japanese means Snow. It is revealed later in the series by Prince that his ability is actually State of Vapour, he can change the state of water to either gas, liquid or solid.
- In chapter 71, it's revealed that he and Heike were enemies in the last great war and fought non-stop for 3 days and nights.
- It is eventually revealed that Yukihina is the same age as Heiki, and during a confrontation in the past he was killed. Heiki then used an unknown power to bring him back to life as an immortal zombie as a form of punishment.
- Eternity Zero (永久 凍結 Etaniti Zero ): Used to freeze an entire room and everyone in it.
0? Hiyori (日和 Hiyori )
- First appears in chapter 50, a young girl who has a child-like innocence as much as a child-like cruelty, getting really excited that she won the rock-paper-scissors match that decided who got to kill everyone while promising that she will make them suffer before they die, all while keeping up her child-like personality. However this seems to only extend to people she doesn't know. She seems to be very fond of Yukihina as whenever she sees him she is automatically latched onto him and simply hugs him for long periods of time (Yukihina in turn, seems to either ignore it and lets her or simply doesn't care).
- Her parents killed themselves due to a huge debt leaving her homeless until Rui took her in and promised to protect her. Once she left, she began to hate her. Her ability is "Balloon" (Chapter 69), she is able to make her 'balloons' with "100% transmittance" so they don't have shadows, making her power Rui's opposite. She can use it in various forms including manipulate any membrane in the body like the cornea causing blindness.
- It was shown that she was very close to Prince, where it was her that saved her and got her out of her shell. However, after Prince left the Re-Codes, Hiyori grew an intense hatred towards her, wishing to be the one who killed her. however, despite her loyalty to The One Being Sought, even bringing him the Key, he later kills her and Shigure after obtaining Pandora's Box, believing them to be weak. However she is later seen alive, but still in her turtle form, with Shigure.
- But because of Shigure's special power he made a replica of ash. Making it seem that "The one being Sought" killed them.
- When Hiyori over uses her powers, she changes into a turtle, but still keeps the ribbons in her hair after her transformation
- Exploding Balloon: She is able to use her ability to create balloons that explode on impact/contact.
- Disguising Balloon: She is also a master of disguise using her balloons, able to take on the appearance of anyone and mimic their personalities perfectly. However they don't smell the same as Sakura was able to tell who the real one is by scent.
- Balloon Arrow: Creates a bow and several arrows and fires them all
0? Uesugi Hajime
- One of Sakura's circle of friends, it seemed that he was the Code: Revenger, but that is proven to be false in chapter 107, as he claims to be a Re-Code after he saves his friends together with Kouji, Rui and Yukihina. He stated he will take care of the Code: Revenger himself. His special power is exchange. The power allows him to exchange anything he touch for something he have set before.
- Lily (リリィ Riry ) is a young coldblooded woman who shows no interest in human life, even killing all the staff in the restaurant for her mercenaries to take their place. This is later explained from all of the abuse she has suffered from people because of her powers, even from her own parents would pour bleach on her. She appears to use her appearance as a weapon, regularly flirting with Rei to distract him (though to no avail). Though after being saved from Sendou by Sakura, she now appears to have gone to the good side, as she agreed to uses her powers to cure the people she poisoned. Her power is called Secretion, where she is able to turn her sweat into another chemical from poisons to acid in a liquid or gas state and at time she lost her power she change into a little Butterfly. Though powerful, she is not part of the top 4 Re-Code.
- He appears in chapter 41 and protects 'the one Rei is looking for' when Toki attempts to shoot him. He has exceptional reflexes and strength, able to grab bullets with only his index and middle finger, break them, and throw them back with tremendous force. He is a very well built man with a tattoo of the word BLACKOUT across his stomach. His personality is very cold, almost killing one of his own teammates before Sakura blocked his attack, but then appeared scared when Toki revealed he was about to kill him. Toki killed him by using his powers to remove the mercury that he just breathed in outside of his body. His power is called Epithelial Manipulation, where he is able to turn his skin into other substances such as a material that is "harder than steel" as well as the pigment in his skin for camouflage. Though strong, he was not a member of the top 4 Re-Code.
- Brother of Sendou, he uses flames and tries to kill a powerless Toki. He's killed by Prince.
- Sakurakouji Goutoku
- Nicknamed "The Raging Dragon of the East", Sakura's father is the highly respected head of a yakuza said to fight the strong to protect the weak. He is revealed to be an ill man who gets nosebleeds when excited but loves his daughter dearly and wishes for her to remain untainted by the world. When he first met Rei, he easily sees through Rei's smiling mask and warns him that if anything were to happen to Sakura, he would be next.
- Sakurakouji Yuki
- Sakura's mother has the appearance of a grade schooler, which is why she was mistook as Sakura's younger sister. She likes to cosplay, always dressing up in different attires and having a closet full of different outfits. Despite her appearance, she is shown to have a violent side after consuming alcohol. Rei describes her as "being blind in love for her children" because she has taken pictures of every memorial moment of her daughter (from her first day of school to the first time she ate wasabi). Ironically, she whines that she should have taken more.
- A clumsy and ditzy teacher that also happens to be an agent of Eden, serving as Rei's assistant and refers to him as her "master". It is unsure as to why she calls him that but she protects Rei when he loses his powers. She is shown to be highly proficient with throwing weapons and firearms. In chapter 34, it is revealed that her parents were killed by robbers and Hitomi saved her life. She decided to work for Eden because she wanted to be just like him.
- A one arm skilled ninja assassin with the ability to hypnotize his targets through sight or sound. He lost his arm in a previous encounter with Rei, where he cut off her own arm to escape Rei's blue flame. This is the only time where he failed to assassinate his target. It is implied that he changed his ways after Sakura saved his life by hugging his to extinguish Rei's blue flame. however, he later returns being contracted to take Rei's left arm for a large amount of money, he was also given a new ability by the Pandora's Box that allowed him to absorb metal and form a weaponized replacement arm. It was later revealed he was trying to get that money to be able to take care of the children that were with him. After Rei made himself look like the bad guy, Haruto was able to leave with the children who were able to still see him as their hero. Rei before doing so, used his ability to implant his fire inside Haruto, so if he ever did anything evil again he would burn in flames, claiming that death was too good for trash like him and telling him to live, mirroring Code: Seeker's final words to Rei. However, Haruto is immediately attacked by Saechika for failing to retrieve Rei's arm, although Shibuya intervened before anybody could die. Shibuya later claimed to have taken Haruto and the children he watches to a safe place.
- "Shibuya" aka Student Council President
- An odd guy who is always dressed in a Nyanmaru costume, claiming he is Nyanmaru even though they pointed out to him there is a zipper on his back. He is the only other confirmed "Rare Kind". Like Sakura, he has the ability to nullify other powers and is assumed to be immortal. With his help, Sakura was able to return to her normal size after using up all her powers. He has remained neutral in the war between Code: Breakers and Re-Codes. Because of his neutral stance, he is well acquainted with both sides and was able to retrieve Sakura from the Re-Code hideout. In the past, Shibuya trained Hitomi and Rei's brother. He lives in an old house that was originally designed as a training center for Code: Breakers. His costume is there to prevent triggering Sakura's memories. He was seriously wounded in the battle with Rei's brother. In order to open the Pandora's Box, Rei's brother needed "Rare Kind" blood and did so by thrusting a blade into Shibuya. However, he survived because he shifted his body in his suit. It is revealed that Shibuya is Sakura's real father and that he gave her up in hopes that she would not become a "non-existent" and lead a normal life.
- Sakuraouji Sakurako
- She is the mother of Sakura and is one of the four founders of Eden along with the Emperor, Heiki and another character yet to be named. She is seen to have an ability to control puppets, as shown on how she controlled Inoichi and Kurako.
- Code of Hammurabi: "And a Secret for a Secret"
- A mechanical doll that was created in order to protect Sakura. When Inoichi protected Sakura in chapter 66, Sakura suddenly had a flashback, knowing that Inoichi had protected her in the past. Sakura also remembers that Inochi always stay by her side when she sleeps and Sakura always sits on her lap when she was a young girl.
No. Japanese English Release date ISBN Release date ISBN 01 October 17, 2008 ISBN 978-4-06-384056-8 - — 02 December 17, 2008 ISBN 978-4-06-384081-0 - — 03 February 17, 2009 ISBN 978-4-06-384103-9 - — 04 April 17, 2009 ISBN 978-4-06-384128-2 - — 05 June 17, 2009 ISBN 978-4-06-384150-3 - —
The anime streaming site Crunchyroll has revealed that C0DE:BREAKER will receive an anime adaptation. The date the anime will air has yet to be told.
Series currently running in Weekly Shōnen MagazineFighting Spirit • Kindaichi Case Files • Air Gear • Negima! Magister Negi Magi • Ahiru no Sora • Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei • Area no Kishi • Ace of Diamond • Fairy Tail • Baby Steps • A Town Where You Live • Code: Breaker • Seitokai Yakuindomo • Cage of Eden • Gamaran • Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san • GE〜Good Ending〜 • A-bout! • Oniwaka to Ushiwaka Edge of the World • AKB49〜Renai Kinshi Jourei〜 • Zeus no Tane • Again!! • Bakudan!〜Bakumetsu Danshi〜 • Bloody Monday Last Season • Tobaku Haō-den Zero Gyanki-Hen • Dragon Collection Ryuu o Suberu Mono • Tanteiken Sherdock Website: http://www.shonenmagazine.com Weekly Shōnen Magazine: 2000–2009 2000Sakigake!! Kuromati Kōkō • GodHand Teru 2001 2002 2003Mahō Sensei Negima • Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle • Air Gear 2004 2005 2006 2007Baby Steps • Bloody Monday • Seitokai Yakuindomo 2008CØDE:BREAKER • Kimi no Iru Machi 2009Gamaran • GTO SHONAN 14DAYS
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Code: Breaker — Code:Breaker コード：ブレイカー (Kōdo:Burēkā) Type Shōnen Genre Action Thèmes Surnaturel Manga Auteur Akimine Kamijyo … Wikipédia en Français
Code: Breaker — Обложка первого тома японского издания манги コード：ブレイカー Жанр приключения, фа … Википедия
code-breaker — codeˈ breaker noun A person who tries to interpret secret codes • • • Main Entry: ↑code … Useful english dictionary
Code Breaker — For other uses, see Code Breakers (disambiguation). For the manga series, see Code: Breaker. Code Breaker is a cheat device developed by Pelican Accessories, currently available for PlayStation 2 and Nintendo DS. Along with competing product… … Wikipedia
code breaker — ● ►en n. m. ►SECU►CRYPTO Littéralement casseur de code . Et c est d ailleurs bien ce que cela veut dire. Voir cypherpunk … Dictionnaire d'informatique francophone
Code Breakers — may refer to: Code Breakers (film), a 2005 TV movie about the 1951 cheating scandal at West Point The Code Breakers, a 2006 documentary film which investigates the use of open source software in the third world Code: Breaker, a 2008 Shōnen manga… … Wikipedia
code — noun 1 system of letters, etc. for secret information ADJECTIVE ▪ secret ▪ Morse VERB + CODE ▪ break, crack, decipher ▪ … Collocations dictionary
breaker — noun Breaker is used after these nouns: ↑code, ↑deal, ↑record, ↑strike, ↑tie … Collocations dictionary
Morse Code — Ne doit pas être confondu avec Alphabet morse. Morse Code Surnom Morse Code Transmission Pays d’origine Québec, Canada Genre musical ro … Wikipédia en Français
Nemesis Breaker — is the name of a fictional character from the various Transformers universes.Transformers: CybertronTransformers character name =Nemesis Breaker japanname =Dark Ligerjack caption = affiliation =Decepticon subgroup =Transmetal Voyagers rank =6… … Wikipedia