- Director's Cut (Kate Bush album)
Director's Cut Studio album by Kate Bush Released 16 May 2011 Genre Art rock, Alternative rock Length 57:04 Label Fish People
Kate Bush chronology Aerial
50 Words for Snow
Singles from Director's Cut
- "Deeper Understanding"
Released: 5 April 2011
Director's Cut is a 2011 album by British singer Kate Bush. It is made up of songs from her earlier albums The Sensual World and The Red Shoes which have been re-recorded and restructured. It is Bush's first album release since 2005's Aerial and the first on her own record label, Fish People.
Released in May 2011, the album features four tracks taken from The Sensual World (1989) and seven from The Red Shoes (1993) which have been re-recorded by Bush, while retaining most of the original instrumentation.
Regarding the entirely new lyrics to the song "The Sensual World", now re-titled "Flower of the Mountain", Bush said this: "Originally when I wrote the song "The Sensual World" I had used text from the end of Ulysses by James Joyce, put to a piece of music I had written. When I asked for permission to use the text I was refused, which was disappointing. I then wrote my own lyrics for the song although I felt that the original idea had been more interesting. Well, I’m not James Joyce am I? When I came to work on this project I thought I would ask for permission again and this time they said yes. It is now re-titled "Flower of the Mountain" and I am delighted that I have had the chance to fulfill the original concept. For some time I have felt that I wanted to revisit tracks from these two albums and that they could benefit from having new life breathed into them. Lots of work had gone into the two original albums and now these songs have another layer of work woven into their fabric. I think of this as a new album."
All the lead vocals on Director's Cut and some of the backing vocals have been entirely re-recorded, with some of the songs transposed to a lower key to accommodate Bush's matured voice. Additionally, the drum tracks have been reconceived and re-recorded, with some of the tracks featuring Steve Gadd. Bassist Danny Thompson also appears and, on backing vocals, Mica Paris. Three songs have been completely re-recorded: "This Woman's Work", "Rubberband Girl", and "Moments of Pleasure".
Director's Cut is available as a digital album, a standard CD in a case-bound book, a deluxe version ("Collector's Edition"), consisting of a box set including Director’s Cut, The Sensual World and the The Red Shoes (re-mastered from digital to analogue), and two-disc vinyl. Director's Cut was recorded using analogue equipment. Bush stated in an interview for BBC radio that she never liked the "hard-edged sound" of the digitally recorded The Red Shoes and feels both the new recordings of the songs from this album and the re-mastered The Red Shoes have a "warmer, fuller sound."
The album was a chart success, reaching No.2 on the UK albums chart (matching the chart peak of both The Sensual World and The Red Shoes) and although it fell swiftly down the chart after its first week it has sold consistently and has since been certified Silver in the UK. The album also charted in a number of other countries, including a No.4 entry in the Irish charts, and also went top ten in the Netherlands and Norway.
All songs written and composed by Kate Bush with the exception of "Flower of the Mountain" which contains lyrics by James Joyce.
No. Title Length 1. "Flower of the Mountain" 5:15 2. "Song of Solomon" 4:45 3. "Lily" 4:05 4. "Deeper Understanding" 6:33 5. "The Red Shoes" 4:58 6. "This Woman's Work" 6:30 7. "Moments of Pleasure" 6:32 8. "Never Be Mine" 5:05 9. "Top of the City" 4:24 10. "And So Is Love" 4:21 11. "Rubberband Girl" 4:37Total length: 57:04
The only single to be released from the album was "Deeper Understanding", originally the sixth track of The Sensual World. Its lyrics describe a relationship between a lonely person and a computer which has replaced human companionship. The video was released through her official YouTube account. The song features a newly recorded main vocal by Bush, and the voice of her son Albert on the chorus. The single, upon its initial release as a digital download, charted in the UK at No.87.
Critical reception for the album has been mostly positive, with most reviewers acknowledging the confusion surrounding the release of this unique revisitation of old songs. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalised rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album received an average score of 81, based on 21 reviews, which indicates "universal acclaim". Simon Price in The Independent noted: "Director's Cut was greeted with reactions ranging between disappointment, bafflement and ridicule, before anyone had heard a note...taken on its own merits, however, there's plenty to enjoy..." Fiona Shephard of News.Scotsman.com gave Director's Cut a 4-star review, writing: "Ever the perfectionist, Kate Bush has revisited earlier songs, the first-time recordings of which didn't reflect her original vision. The resulting revamps are satisfying, rounded - and occasionally bizarre."
Chart & Certifications
Chart (2011) Position Australian Albums Chart 41 Austrian Albums Chart 35 Belgian Albums Chart (Flanders) 27 Belgian Albums Chart (Wallonia) 20 Canadian Albums Chart 66 Danish Albums Chart  11 Dutch Albums Chart 6 Finnish Albums Chart 8 French SNEP Albums Chart  31 German Media Control Albums Chart  11 Irish Albums Chart 4 Italian Albums Chart 32 Japanese Oricon Albums Chart 132 New Zealand Albums Chart  38 Norwegian Albums Chart 2 Polish Albums Chart 28 Spanish Albums Chart 71 Swedish Albums Chart 12 UK Albums Chart 2 US Billboard Tastemakers 19 US Billboard Independent Albums 36
Region Certification Sales/shipments United Kingdom (BPI) Silver 60,000^ Summaries
^shipments figures based on certification alone
xunspecified figures based on certification alone
- ^ Sean Michaels. "Kate Bush reveals guest lyricist on new album – James Joyce The Guardian 5 April 2011". Guardian. http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/apr/05/kate-bush-new-album-james-joyce. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- ^ "BBC Radio, interview with Kate Bush". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-05-04. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010vxyv/Front_Row_Kate_Bush_in_a_rare_interview_and_John_Cleese_reviewed/. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- ^ a b "Chart Stats - Kate Bush - Director's Cut". chartstats.com. http://www.chartstats.com/release.php?release=50275. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- ^ "The Hot Press Newsdesk, 20 May 2011". Hotpress.com. http://www.hotpress.com/Adele/news/Adele-dominates-Irish-chart-once-again/7903903.html. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- ^ "Deeper Understanding Lyrics". Lyricsfreak.com. http://www.lyricsfreak.com/k/kate+bush/deeper+understanding_20077262.html. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- ^ KateBushMusic. "Official Kate Bush channel". YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5UsjqXXcZ4/. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- ^ ""Deeper Understanding"". Chartstats. 2011-04-16. http://www.chartstats.com/release.php?release=50128. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- ^ "Director's Cut – Kate Bush". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. http://www.metacritic.com/music/directors-cut. Retrieved 10 June 2011.
- ^ Reviewed by Simon Price (2011-05-15). "Album: Kate Bush, Director's Cut (Fish People) - Reviews - Music". The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/reviews/album-kate-bush-directors-cut-fish-people-2284541.html. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- ^ Published on Thu May 12 17:00:57 BST 2011. "Album review: Kate Bush, Director's Cut - News - Scotsman.com". News.scotsman.com. http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/Album-review-Kate-Bush-Director39s.6768793.jp?articlepage=1. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- ^ "australian-charts.com Kate Bush - Director's Cut". Australian Recording Industry Association. http://australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director's+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- ^ "Kate Bush - Director's Cut – austriancharts.at" (in German). http://austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director's+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ "ultratop.be - Kate Bush - Director's Cut" (in Dutch). ultratop.be/nl, Hung Medienaccessdate=2011-08-29. Ultratop. http://www.ultratop.be/nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director's+Cut&cat=a.
- ^ "ultratop.be - Kate Bush - Director's Cut" (in Dutch). ultratop.be/fr,, Hung Medien. Ultratop. http://www.ultratop.be/fr/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director's+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- ^ "ALBUMS : Top 100 (FOR THE WEEK ENDING 2 JUNE, 2011)". 9 June 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-06-10. http://www.webcitation.org/5zKq3ItB9. Retrieved 2011-06-10.
- ^ "danishcharts.com Kate Bush - Director's Cut". danishcharts.com. http://danishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director's+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-30.
- ^ "dutchcharts.nl Kate Bush - Director's Cut" (in Dutch). dutchcharts.nl. MegaCharts. http://dutchcharts.nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director's+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- ^ "finnishcharts.com Kate Bush - Director's Cut" (in Finnish). http://finnishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director's+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- ^ "lescharts.com Kate Bush - Director's Cut" (in French). lescharts.com. SNEP. http://lescharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director's+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- ^ "Album Search: Kate Bush" (in German). Media Control. http://www.charts.de/search.asp?search=kate+Bush&x=0&y=0&cat=a&country=de. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- ^ "Irishcharts.com - Kate Bush - Director's Cut". Hung Medien. http://irish-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director%27s+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- ^ "Classifica album FIMI" (in Italian). ACNielsen. http://www.fimi.it/classifiche_result_artisti.php?anno=2011&mese=05&id=373. Retrieved 2011-06-03.
- ^ ケイト・ブッシュ-リリース-ORICON STYLE-ミュージック "Highest position and charting weeks of Director's Cut (Deluxe edition) by Kate Bush" (in Japanese). oricon.co.jp. Oricon Style. http://www.oricon.co.jp/music/release/d/920812/1/ ケイト・ブッシュ-リリース-ORICON STYLE-ミュージック. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- ^ "charts.org.nz - Kate Bush - Director's Cut". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. http://charts.org.nz/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director's+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- ^ "norwegiancharts.com Kate Bush - Director's Cut". http://norwegiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director's+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ "Oficjalna lista sprzedaży :: OLIS - Official Retail Sales Chart". OLIS. 2011-05-22. http://olis.onyx.pl/listy/index.asp?idlisty=674&lang=. Retrieved 2011-11-17.
- ^ a b "swedishcharts.com - Kate Bush - Director's Cut" (in Swedish). swedishcharts.com. Hung Medien. http://swedishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Kate+Bush&titel=Director%27s+Cut&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- ^ a b "Billboard Charts". Billboard Magazine. http://www.billboard.com/#/album/kate-bush/director-s-cut/1503073. Retrieved 2011-06-10.
- ^ "British album certifications – Kate Bush – Director's Cut". British Phonographic Industry. http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx. Enter Director's Cut in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
Kate Bush Studio albums Extended plays Live albums
Videos Singles"Wuthering Heights" · "The Man with the Child in His Eyes" · "Them Heavy People" · "Moving" · "Hammer Horror" · "Wow" · "Symphony in Blue" · "Strange Phenomena" · "Breathing" · "Babooshka" · "Army Dreamers" · "December Will Be Magic Again" · "Sat in Your Lap" · "The Dreaming" · "There Goes a Tenner" · "Suspended in Gaffa" · "Ne t'enfuis pas" · "Night of the Swallow" · "Running Up that Hill" · "Cloudbusting" · "Hounds of Love" · "The Big Sky" · "Don't Give Up" · "Experiment IV" · "The Sensual World" · "This Woman's Work" · "Love and Anger" · "Rocket Man" · "Rubberband Girl" · "Eat the Music" · "Moments of Pleasure" · "The Red Shoes" · "The Man I Love" · "And So Is Love" · "King of the Mountain" · "Lyra" · "Deeper Understanding" · "Wild Man" Related articles
- "Deeper Understanding"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Director's cut (disambiguation) — Director s cut can refer to any of the following: Director s cut an alternate edit of a film Director s Cut (Helldorado album) Director s Cut (Kate Bush album) The Director s Cut an album by Fantômas Director s Cut (radio show) Thi … Wikipedia
Kate Bush — Kate Bush, 1986 Kate Bush (* 30. Juli 1958 in Bexleyheath, Kent, England; eigentlich Catherine Bush) ist eine britische Sängerin, Pianistin und Songwriterin. Zu ihren bekanntesten Liedern gehören Wuthering Heights, Babooshka und Running Up That… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kate Bush — Datos generales Nacimiento 30 de julio de 1958 (53 años) … Wikipedia Español
Kate Bush — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Bush. Kate Bush Kate Bush en 19 … Wikipédia en Français
Don't Give Up (Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush song) — Don t Give Up Single by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush from the album So B side … Wikipedia
Moving (Kate Bush song) — Moving Single by Kate Bush from the album The Kick Inside … Wikipedia
Aerial (Album) — Aerial Studioalbum von Kate Bush Veröffentlichung 07.11.2005 Label Novercia/EMI Format … Deutsch Wikipedia
Буш, Кейт — В Википедии есть статьи о других людях с такой фамилией, см. Буш. Кейт Буш … Википедия
50 Words for Snow — 50 Words for Snow … Википедия
Never for Ever — Studio album by Kate Bush Released 8 September 1980 … Wikipedia