- Disney Channel (Australia)
Disney Channel Launched 8 June 1996 Owned by The Walt Disney Company Picture format 576i (SDTV 16:9) Audience share 1.3% (February 2008, ) Country Australia, New Zealand Language English Broadcast area Australia
Sister channel(s) Disney Junior Website disneychannel.com.au Availability Satellite Foxtel Channel 707 Austar Channel 707 SKY Network Television (New Zealand) Channel 040 Cable Optus TV Channel 707 Foxtel Channel 707 Austar Channel 707 TransTV Digital Channel 201 Neighbourhood Cable Channel 28 TelstraClear InHomeTV (New Zealand) Channel 40 IPTV Xbox 360 Channel 707
Disney Channel Australia is a television channel that is broadcast in Australia and New Zealand. It is mainly aimed at children and their families. It does occasionally broadcast commercial advertisements and programming is broken up by a number of breaks, during which trailers for Disney's programming are usually shown. On 1 September 2009 Disney channel started broadcasting in 16:9 widescreen.
History and Availability
Disney Channel has been broadcast by Optus since 8 June 1996. It became available though Austar on 1 April 2001, Foxtel on 1 December 2001, TransTV on 21 January 2002, and is also available on Neighbourhood Cable. It was formerly available on SelecTV from September 2008 until the closure of its English service in late 2010.
It has been broadcast on New Zealand's pay television network (SKY Network Television) since December 2003.
On 5 December 2005, Disney Channel launched Playhouse Disney Channel in Australia on the Foxtel, Austar and Optus Television digital services and in New Zealand on the SKY Network Television digital service.
Almost all of Disney's shows are rated G and usually feature low level violence. When there is a DCOM, the ratings sometimes go up to PG, being the cause of violence, action and sci-fi themes throughout the showing of the movie.
Disney Channel (Australia and New Zealand) features many of the shows the U.S. version broadcasts. The channel also airs shows made in Australia, such as H2O: Just Add Water, Wicked Science, As The Bell Rings and Double Trouble, and New Zealand, such as Camp Rock the Tasman.
Shows are often shown on Disney Channel a few months after their US counterpart, although there are some exceptions.
Show title Original Run Disney Channel Run Hannah Montana 2006–2011 2006 – present The Suite Life On Deck 2008 – 2011 2008 – present Wizards of Waverly Place 2007 – 2011 2007 – present Sonny with a Chance 2009 – 2011 2009 – present JONAS L.A. 2009–2010 2009 – present I'm in the Band 2010 – present 2010 – present Good Luck Charlie 2010 – present 2010 – present That's So Raven 2003-2007 2003 – present Pair of Kings 2010 – present 2011 – present Shake It Up 2010 – present 2011 – present Zeke and Luther 2009 – present 2009 – present A.N.T. Farm 2011 - present 2011 - present
Show title Original Run Disney Channel Run Young Dracula 2006–2008 2008 – present
- Phineas and Ferb
- A Kind of Magic
- Kick Buttowski
- Fish Hooks
- Planet Inc.
- Oscar's Oasis
- Yin Yang Yo!
- Disney Channel Games (Annually during January- February)
- Jessie (30 September 2011) (Series is currently in production.)
- Austin & Ally (Late 2011) (Production starts mid August 2011)
- Gravity Falls (Spring 2012)
Pilot for Consideration
Disney Channel (Australia and New Zealand) traditionally broadcasts most of Disney's movies, including Walt Disney Studio movies and Disney Channel Original Movies. Until 2003, these broadcasted daily at 7pm under the title of The Wonderful World of Disney, which was aired since the mid 1990s. They now broadcast under the title of Disney Channel Movie or Disney Channel Original Movie (DCOM). Movies, like all Disney Channel Australia and New Zealand content as of 1 September 2009, are broadcast in a 16:9 format, presented in letterbox (film) format for those viewing on regular 4:3 television sets.
Starting on 1 September (when Disney Channel went 16:9 widescreen) all movies are now shown in their original 16:9 widescreen format.
Disney Channel also airs many movies produced by Disney Channel, and Fox Family and ABC Family Channel, many of which are no longer shown in the United States, among them include Searching for David's Heart, Casper: A Spirited Beginning, Escape to Witch Mountain, Stepsister From Planet Weird, and Au Pair.
Disney Channel also played the following successful DCOMs:
- High School Musical
- High School Musical 2
- High School Musical 3: Senior Year
- Camp Rock
- Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior
- Jump In
- Read it and Weep
- The Cheetah Girls
- The Cheetah Girls 2
- The Cheetah Girls: One World
- Cow Belles
- Tru Confessions
- Sharpay's Fabulous Adventure
- You Wish!
- Disney Channel
- List of television networks by country
- Playhouse Disney
- Disney Channel Around a World
- ^ a b Elder, Bruce (2 June 1996). "Disney to the rescue". Sydney Morning Herald (Sydney, Australia: Fairfax Media): p. 1. http://newsstore.fairfax.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac?docID=news960602_0153_7992. Retrieved 2009-12-21. "The Disney Channel, which kicks off with the TV premiere of Aladdin at 6.30 pm on Saturday, June 8"
- ^ "News on the Hour". Illawarra Mercury (Illawarra, Australia: Fairfax Media): p. 55. 17 March 2000. http://newsstore.fairfax.com.au/apps/viewDocument.ac?docID=news000318_0496_9436. Retrieved 26 January 2010.
- ^ "Hitting Disney heights". The Sunday Mail: p. T35. 16 December 2001.
- ^ "Package Updates" Foxtel 2001 archived from the original on 2001-12-14 http://web.archive.org/web/20011214001411/www.foxtel.com.au/about/packageupdate.jsp. Retrieved 2009-12-01 "You'll be able to enjoy a world of fun and adventure, with Disney Channel coming to FOXTEL for the first time! Disney Channel becomes part of our Entertainment Plus package, moving TCM from Entertainment Plus into the Movies package."
- ^ "Transact to screen 24-hour Disney films, animation, on its 12th channel.". The Canberra Times (Canberra, Australia: Fairfax Media): p. 10. 20 January 2002.
- ^ Shoebridge, Neil (15 September 2008). "WIN’s on to a winner as SelecTV ups service". The Australian Financial Review: p. 16. http://afr.com/p/business/media_marketing/item_Kg8s7HsBJkxV8WVoNsZibJ?hl. Retrieved 26 February 2010.
- ^ Chessell, James (20 August 2010). "Bruce Gordon's SelecTV to make changes". The Australian. http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/city-beat/bruce-gordons-selectv-to-make-changes/story-fn4xq4cj-1225907617882. Retrieved 20 August 2010.
- ^ Ross, Robyn (10 August 2011). "Exclusive: Debby Ryan's Disney Series Jessie Gets a Premiere Date". TV Guide. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Debby-Ryan-Jessie-1036266.aspx. Retrieved 10 August 2011.
- ^ http://www.disneychannelmedianet.com/dnr/2011/dc_kids_fam_2011_upfront.doc
- ^ "Debby Ryan Teases a Suite Life Graduation Tearjerker". TV Guide. 4 April 2011. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Debby-Ryan-Suite-Life-1031460.aspx. Retrieved 7 April 2011. with interview video confirms pre-production status.
- ^ http://www.disneychannelmedianet.com/DNR/2011/JES_060911.doc
- ^ http://www.disneychannelmedianet.com/DNR/2011/austinally_052511.doc
- ^ http://www.disneychannelmedianet.com/DNR/2010/doc/dc_new_120810.doc
- ^ http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/disney-channel-preps-first-musical-series/#more-83717
- ^ http://www.disneychannelmedianet.com/DNR/2011/madison_021711.doc
- Official Site
- Disney Australia
- Playhouse Disney Channel
- Disney Girl Magazine
- Disney Adventures Magazine
- Disney Music Australia
Disney Channel Disney ChannelAfrica • Asia • Australia • Brazil • Bulgaria • Central Eastern Europe • Czech Republic • France • Germany • Greece • Hong Kong • Hungary • India • Israel • Italy • Japan • Korea • Latin America • Malaysia • Middle East • Netherlands • Poland • Portugal • Romania • Russia • Scandinavia • Serbia • Spain • Taiwan • Turkey • UK & Ireland • Ukraine Disney JuniorAfrica • Asia • Australia • Brazil • Bulgaria • Canada (English) (French) • Central Eastern Europe • Czech Republic • France • Germany • Greece • Hungary • India • Israel • Italy • Japan • Korea • Latin America • Malaysia • Middle East • Netherlands • Portugal • Poland • Romania • Russia • Scandinavia • Serbia • Spain • Taiwan • Turkey • UK & Ireland • Ukraine Disney XD Disney Cinemagic Defunct channels Subscription television in Australia ChannelsEntertainmentMoviesSportsNewsDocumentaryKids & FamilyMusicSpecialtyHigh DefinitionDefunct Additional
Channels on Sky Network Television Entertainment Movies Sports News & Documentaries Kids & Family Lifestyle & Leisure Interactive Music Special Interest HD Channels Former Channels
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Disney Channel (Australia) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Disney Channel Nombre público Disney Channel Australia Tipo cable Programación Infantil/Juvenil Propietario Buena Vista International País … Wikipedia Español
Disney Channel Australia — For the Disney Channel in other countries, see Disney Channel around the world. For the original Disney Channel, see Disney Channel. infobox TV channel name=Disney Channel Australia country=Australia, New Zealand logofile=Disney Channel 2002.svg… … Wikipedia
Disney Channel Australia — Création 8 juin 1996 Langue anglais Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Disney Junior (Australia and New Zealand) — Disney Junior Launched 5 December 2005 Owned by The Walt Disney Company Picture format 576i (SD … Wikipedia
Disney Channel (international) — Disney Channel, originally established as a cable channel in the United States, has expanded worldwide. Countries using English Language are South Africa, Southeast Asia, Hong Kong, India, Australia, New Zealand, Middle East, Scandinavia, Baltic… … Wikipedia
Disney Channel Games — The logo for the 2007 and 2008 Disney Channel Games Genre Sport Format Olymp … Wikipedia
Disney Channel around the world — Disney Channel, originally finalized as a cable channel in the United States, has expanded worldwide. There is a similar channel called Family which is only broadcast in Canada. Africa * Disney Channel South Africa * Disney Channel Zimbabwe Asia… … Wikipedia
Disney Channel HD — Disney Channel Logo de Disney Channel Création 18 avril 1983 … Wikipédia en Français
Disney Channel on Demand — Disney Channel Logo de Disney Channel Création 18 avril 1983 … Wikipédia en Français
Disney channel — Logo de Disney Channel Création 18 avril 1983 … Wikipédia en Français