- Dominica at the 2011 Commonwealth Youth Games
Dominica at the Commonwealth Youth Games
Flag of Dominica
CGA code DMA National
Dominica National Olympic Committee At the 2011 Commonwealth Youth Games
in Isle of Man
Competitors 4 in 2 sports Medals:
Dominica competed in the 2011 Commonwealth Youth Games held in the British Crown Dependency of Isle of Man from September 7 to 13, 2011. Their participation marked their second Commonwealth Youth Games appearance. The Dominican delegation consisted of four competitors (two men and two women) who competed in two different sports. This was a decrease in the number of athletes from the nation's last appearance at the Games, when five athletes were sent to Pune. Shanica Yankey won a bronze medal in the javelin throw with a best throw of 38.08 m. Yankey was the only medal winner for Dominica, and the country finished last in the medal table, in 22nd position, sharing the position with nine other Commonwealth Games Associations. Yankey's was the first medal for Dominica in the history of the Games.
Independent Dominica became the member of the Commonwealth of Nations in 1978, but it had already made its debut in the Commonwealth Games in 1958, with further appearances coming in 1962 and 1970, then not appearing for twenty-four years. It has appeared at every Games since 1994. Dominica did not participate in the first two—2000 Edinburgh and 2004 Bendigo—Commonwealth Youth Games. It entered five athletes—all participated in athletic events—in the 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games in Pune, India, but failed to win any medal.
Dominica National Olympic Committee selected a delegation consisted of four contingents for the 2011 Commonwealth Youth Games. In the delegation there were two male pugilists (Megel Drigo and Jamesy Greenaway) and two female athletes (Chelsey Linton and Shanica Yankey), competed in track events.
Two women athletes represented Dominica in athletics. None of the athletes participated in any running event; Chelsey Linton competed in long jump and high jump, while Shanica Yankey competed in javelin throw. Linton ranked fifth in the final standings of long jump, with a best jump of 5.72 m, and she failed to start her high jump event. Shanica Yankey's best throw of 38.08 m won her a bronze medal.
Athlete Events Final Result Rank Chelsey Linton Long jump 5.72 m 5 High jump DNS Shanica Yankey Javelin throw 38.08 m
The boxing squad of the Dominica for the Games included two boxers, Megel Drigo and Jamesy Greenaway, competing in the bantamweight and light welterweight classes, respectively. Drigo received a bye in the first round and lost his quarterfinals match to Cliff Wale of Solomon Islands, after retiring from the match due to injury. An injury also forced Greenaway to retire from his match against Aryk Whalley of New Zealand.
Athlete Event Round of 16 Quarterfinals Semifinals Final Opposition
Rank Megel Drigo Bantamweight Bye Cliff Wale (SOL)
L Retired injured
Did Not Advance Jamesy Greenaway Light Welterweight Aryk Whalley (NZL)
L Retired injured
Did Not Advance
- Bye = Athlete received a bye.
- ^ "Medal Table". cyg2011results.com. CYG 2011 Organising Committee. http://www.cyg2011results.com/medal.aspx. Retrieved October 5, 2011.
- ^ "Dominica – Medals Tally by Games". thecgf.com. Commonwealth Games Federation.. http://www.thecgf.com/countries/tally.asp. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- ^ "Commonwealth Youth Games – Edinburgh 2000" (PDF). thecgf.com. Commonwealth Games Federation. http://www.thecgf.com/cyg/CYG_Overview_and_2000_Games.pdf. Retrieved October 12 2011.
- ^ "About the Games – Countries". bendigo2004.thecgf.com. 2011 Commonwealth Youth Games Organising Committee. http://bendigo2004.thecgf.com/About_the_Games/Competing_Countries/. Retrieved October 12 2011.
- ^ "Dominica – Athletes List". cygpune2008.com. 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games Organising Committee. http://www.cygpune2008.com/athletes/cygpune2008-country-ath.php?cga=17. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- ^ "2008 Commonwealth Youth Games – Overall Medal Standings". results.cygpune2008.com. 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games Organising Committee. http://results.cygpune2008.com/allcountries.html. Retrieved October 12, 2011.
- ^ "Dominica – Event Entries". cyg2011results.com. CYG 2011 Organising Committee. http://www.cyg2011results.com/entries.aspx?CountryID=42. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- ^ "Dominica captures Caribbean’s third medal in Commonwealth Youth Games". Dominica News Online. September 14, 2011. http://dominicanewsonline.com/news/all-news/sports/dominica-captures-caribbean-third-medal-in-commonwealth-youth-games/. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- ^ "Competitors – Chelsey Linton". cyg2011results.com. CYG 2011 Organising Committee. http://www.cyg2011results.com/Competitor.aspx?RegID=21274. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- ^ "Competitors – Shanica Yankey". cyg2011results.com. CYG 2011 Organising Committee. http://www.cyg2011results.com/Competitor.aspx?RegID=21275. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- ^ "Boxing – Bantamweight". cyg2011results.com. CYG 2011 Organising Committee. http://www.cyg2011results.com/Sports/BOXING/default.aspx?SportID=33&EventID=406. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- ^ "Boxing – Light Welterweight". cyg2011results.com. CYG 2011 Organising Committee. http://www.cyg2011results.com/Sports/BOXING/default.aspx?SportID=33&EventID=408. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Commonwealth Games — Federation seal, adopted in 2001 Motto Humanity – Equality – Destiny Headquarters … Wikipedia
Commonwealth Broadcasting Association — Logo of the CBA Formation 15 February 1945 Type Representative body for broadcasters Headquarters … Wikipedia
Commonwealth of Nations — For other uses, see Commonwealth (disambiguation). Commonwealth of Nations … Wikipedia
Commonwealth Day — Empire Day redirects here. For the CAM ship, see MV Empire Day. For other uses, see Commonwealth Day (disambiguation). Commonwealth Day Observed by Commonwealth of Nations Date Second Monday in March Celebrations Multi faith service in… … Wikipedia
Dominica records in athletics — The following are the national records in athletics in the Commonwealth of Dominica maintained by Dominica s national athletics federation: Dominica Amateur Athletics Association (DAAA). Contents 1 Outdoor 1.1 Men 1.2 Women 2 Indoor … Wikipedia
Scotland at the Commonwealth Games — Scotland at the Commonwealth Games : Flag of Scotland CGF Code = SCO … Wikipedia
Pan American Games — Organizations Charter • PASO • NOCs • Symbols Sports • Competitors Medal tables • Medalists • Ceremonies The Pan American or Pan American Games (also known colloquially as the Pan Am Games) a … Wikipedia
List of Commonwealth records in athletics — Commonwealth records in athletics are the best marks set in an event by an athlete who competes for a member nation of the Commonwealth of Nations. Contents 1 Outdoor 1.1 Men 1.1.1 Commonwealth best times for non standard events … Wikipedia
Republics in the Commonwealth of Nations — The Commonwealth republics, shown in pink A republic in the Commonwealth of Nations is any one of the 33 sovereign states of the Commonwealth of Nations (including Fiji whose membership is currently suspended) with a republican form of government … Wikipedia
List of Commonwealth Heads of Government — The leaders of the nations with membership in the Commonwealth of Nations are collectively known as the Commonwealth Heads of Government. They are invited to attend Commonwealth Heads of Government Meetings every two years, with most countries… … Wikipedia