- Mark W. Michael Unit
The Mark W. Michael Unit (MI) is a Texas Department of Criminal Justice men's prison located in unincorporated Anderson County, Texas. The unit is along Farm to Market Road 2054, 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Tennessee Colony. The unit, on 20,518 acres (8,303 ha) of land, is co-located with the Beto, Coffield, and Powledge prison units and the Gurney Transfer Unit. The unit is in proximity to Palestine and the Rusk ironworks, and it is in about a one hour driving distance from Dallas.
The Michael Unit opened in September 1987. Texas officials referred to the facility as "model for the future." Robert Perkinson, author of Texas Tough: The Rise of America's Prison Empire, described Michael as "one of the meanest lockups" in Texas.
Michael was one of the first prisons to no longer use the "telephone-pole" layout, which has central pickets with dead-end cell blocks extending from them. The telephone-pole layout, while inexpensive to build, is difficult to police without building tenders, convicts paid to police other convicts. Instead Michael uses a modular pod design, which allows for riot control and visual surveillance. Most pods have double-bunk, reinforced concrete cells with security features such as slit windows and bolted-down metal toilets. Some pods have dormitories. Michael was one of several new prisons to have the ability to have many prisoners in extended lockdowns. State officials said that Michael's features allowing for extended lockdowns of prisoners were modeled off of the United States Penitentiary, Marion.
- Elmer Wayne Henley
- Steven Jay Russell - The prisoner is a character in the film I Love You Phillip Morris
- ^ a b "Michael Unit." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on July 23, 2010.
- ^ a b Perkinson, Robert. Texas Tough: The Rise of America's Prison Empire. First Edition. Metropolitan Books, 2010. 314. ISBN 978-0-8050-8069-8.
- ^ a b Rhor, Monica. "Serial killer wrestles with his crimes." Fox News. Sunday June 8, 2008. Retrieved on December 12, 2010. "Henley, who turned 52 in May, sits behind a glass divider in the visiting room at the Michael Unit, a Texas prison set amid cow pastures and sprawling ranches about an hour south of Dallas."
- ^ Perkinson, Robert. Texas Tough: The Rise of America's Prison Empire. First Edition. Metropolitan Books, 2010. 314-315. ISBN 978-0-8050-8069-8.
- ^ Perkinson, Robert. Texas Tough: The Rise of America's Prison Empire. First Edition. Metropolitan Books, 2010. 28. ISBN 978-0-8050-8069-8.
- ^ a b c Perkinson, Robert. Texas Tough: The Rise of America's Prison Empire. First Edition. Metropolitan Books, 2010. 315. ISBN 978-0-8050-8069-8.
- ^ Perkinson, Robert. Texas Tough: The Rise of America's Prison Empire. First Edition. Metropolitan Books, 2010. 44. ISBN 978-0-8050-8069-8.
- ^ "Offender Information Detail Henley, Elmer Wayne Jr." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on July 20, 2010. Enter the SID "01924387."
- ^ Day, Elizabeth. "I love you Phillip Morris: a conman's story." The Observer. Sunday September 6, 2009. Retrieved on December 10, 2010.
Texas Department of Criminal Justice-Correctional Institutions Division prison units Region I Region II Region III Region IVBriscoe | Connally | Lynaugh | McConnell | Stevenson | Torres Region VAllred | Clements | Dalhart | Daniel | Jordan | Neal | Roach | Rudd | Smith | Wallace Region VI PrivateBridgeport | Cleveland | Diboll | Estes | Kyle | Lockhart♀ | B. Moore Former unitsCentralAbove facilities are male-only unless noted by ♀(female-only)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mark Stiles Unit — Mark W. Stiles Unit is a Texas Department of Criminal Justice men s prison located in an unincorporated area of Jefferson County, Texas, near Beaumont. The unit, located along Farm to Market Road 3514, is 4 miles (6.4 km) southeast of… … Wikipedia
Michael Caine — This article is about the English actor. For the song by Madness, see Michael Caine (song). For the racing driver, see Michael Caine (racing driver). Michael Caine Caine in 2008 Born Maurice Joseph Micklewhite … Wikipedia
Michael Brecker discography — Discography As leader 1982: Cityscape 1987: Michael Brecker 1988: Don t Try This at Home 1990: Now You See It...Now You Don t 1996: Tales from the Hudson 1998: Two Blocks from the Edge 1999: Time Is of the Essence 2001: Nearness of You: The… … Wikipedia
Mark Roberts (archaeologist) — Mark Roberts Roberts in costume at an experimental archaeology course, 2011. Born Mark Brian Roberts 20 May 1961 (1961 05 20) (age 50) … Wikipedia
Michael Grimm (politician) — Michael Grimm Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York s 13th district Incumbent Assumed office January 3, 2011 Pr … Wikipedia
Mark Fulton (loyalist) — Mark Fulton Mark Swinger Fulton Born 1961 Portadown, County Armagh, Northern Ireland Died 10 June 2002 Maghaberry Prison, Northern Ireland, UK … Wikipedia
Mark Latham — Opposition Leader of Australia Elections: 2004 In office 2 December 2003 – 18 January 2005 Preceded by Simon Crean Succ … Wikipedia
Michael Welner — Michael Welner, M.D. Born September 24, 1964 (1964 09 24) (age 47) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Education M.D., University of Miami School of Medicine; B.S., University of Miami Years ac … Wikipedia
Michael S. Kearns — (April 14, 1958 ) was a 2010 candidate for Colorado s 6th congressional district, running on a Grassroots Leadership platform, which promotes a Direct Democracy Self governance Consortium for advancing fully transparent Internet Socio… … Wikipedia
Michael Arias — Born February 2, 1968 (1968 02 02) (age 43) Los Angeles, California, U.S. Occupation Film director, producer, visual effects artist Michael Arias (born 1968) is an American born filmmaker active primari … Wikipedia