- Maryland Route 239
Bushwood Wharf Road Route information Maintained by MDSHA Length: 1.64 mi (2.64 km) Major junctions West end: Dead end at the Wicomico River East end: MD 242 in Bushwood Location Counties: St. Mary's Highway system ← MD 238 US 240 →
Maryland Route 239 (MD 239) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Bushwood Wharf Road, the state highway runs 1.64 miles (2.64 km) from a dead end at the Wicomico River east to MD 242 in Bushwood in western St. Mary's County. MD 239 was constructed in the late 1920s.
MD 239 begins at a dead end next to a boat ramp on Bushwood Cove of the Wicomico River at a spot historically known as Bushwood Wharf. The state highway heads east as a 18-foot (5.5 m) two-lane road past the historic home Ocean Hall. At Bushwood Road, MD 239 curves to the southeast, passing through farmland and crossing Whites Neck Creek before intersecting the northern terminus of MD 520 (Whites Neck Road). MD 239 continues east to its terminus at MD 242 (Colton Point Road).
MD 239 was constructed as a 15-foot (4.6 m) gravel road starting in 1926. The state highway was built from MD 242 to Bushwood Road in 1927 and to the western terminus on the Wicomico River in 1928. MD 239 was widened and resurfaced with bituminous concrete in 1956. The state highway has changed very little since then.
The entire route is in Bushwood in St. Mary's County.
Mile Destinations Notes 0.00 Dead end at Wicomico River Western terminus 1.33 MD 520 south (Whites Neck Road) 1.64 MD 242 (Colton Point Road) – Clements, Coltons Point Eastern terminus 1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- ^ a b c "Highway Location Reference: St. Mary's County" (PDF). Maryland State Highway Administration. 2009. http://www.marylandroads.com/Location/2009_SAINTMARYS.pdf. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- ^ Google, Inc. Google Maps – Maryland Route 239 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=MD-239%2FBushwood+Wharf+Rd&daddr=MD-239%2FBushwood+Wharf+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FcwqSAIdUAxs-w%3BFXgVSAIdxnds-w&mra=ls&sll=38.280909,-76.78158&sspn=0.007731,0.01929&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- ^ Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland. 1924-1926. Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. January 1927. pp. 36, 65. http://www.archive.org/details/annualreportsofs1924mary. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map) (1927 ed.).
- ^ Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map) (1928 ed.).
- ^ Maryland State Roads Commission. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1956 ed.).
Roads in St. Mary's County, Maryland State highways
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maryland Route 520 — Whites Neck Road Route information Maintained by MDSHA Length … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 242 — Colton Point Road … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 238 — Map of Southern Maryland with MD 238 highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 5 — Point Lookout Road, Three Notch Road, Leonardtown Road, Mattawoman Beantown Road, Branch Avenue … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 4 — St. Andrew s Church Road, Patuxent Beach Road, Solomons Island Road, Southern Maryland Boulevard, Pennsylvania Avenue … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 6 — highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 234 — Budds Creek Road Map of Southern Maryland with MD 234 highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 236 — Thompsons Corner Road Map of Southern Maryland with MD 236 highlighted in red … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 944 — Mervell Dean Road Route information Maintained by MDSHA Length … Wikipedia
Maryland Route 237 — Chancellors Run Road … Wikipedia