- Rossendale and Darwen (UK Parliament constituency)
Rossendale and Darwen Borough constituency for the House of Commons
Boundary of Rossendale and Darwen in Lancashire.
Location of Lancashire within England.
County Lancashire Electorate 73,443 (December 2010) Current constituency Created 1983 Member of Parliament Jake Berry (Conservative) Number of members One Overlaps European Parliament constituency North West England
Rossendale and Darwen is a borough constituency represented in the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election.
Since 2010 the Member of Parliament for the constituency is the Conservative Jake Berry, who defeated Janet Anderson, the Labour incumbent since 1992.
The current constituency is made up as follows:
- The whole of the districts of Bacup and Rawtenstall
- The whole of the district of Darwen
- Part of the district of Haslingden (Grane, Helmshore & Ewood Bridge)
- Part of the district of Ramsbottom (Buckhurst, Deeply Vale, Edenfield, Stubbins & Turn)
- The Belmont, Chapeltown, Edgworth and Entwistle areas of Turton
Following their review of parliamentary representation in Lancashire, including the unitary authority of Blackburn with Darwen, the Boundary Commission for England have created a re-shaped Rossendale and Darwen constituency. No name changes were suggested.
- From the borough of Rossendale, twelve wards are used to create the new seat - Cribden, Eden, Facit and Shawforth, Goodshaw, Hareholme, Healey and Whitworth, Helmshore, Irwell, Longholme, Stacksteads and Whitewell.
- Eight wards are taken from the Blackburn with Darwen district - Earcroft, East Rural, Fernhurst, Marsh House, North Turton with Tockholes, Sudell, Sunnyhurst and Whitehall.
Members of Parliament
Election Member  Party 1983 David Trippier Conservative 1992 Janet Anderson Labour 2010 Jake Berry Conservative
Elections in the 2010s
General Election 2010: Rossendale and Darwen Party Candidate Votes % ±% Conservative Jake Berry 19,691 41.8 +7.1 Labour Janet Anderson 15,198 32.2 -10.7 Liberal Democrat Bob Sheffield 8,541 18.1 +3.2 UKIP David Duthie 1,617 3.4 +1.8 National Front Kevin Bryan 1,062 2.3 N/A English Democrats Michael Johnson 663 1.4 N/A Impact Tony Melia 243 0.5 N/A Independent Mike Siveri 113 0.2 N/A Majority 4,493 9.5 Turnout 47,128 64.6 +3.0 Conservative gain from Labour Swing 8.9
Elections in the 2000s
General Election 2005: Rossendale and Darwen Party Candidate Votes % ±% Labour Janet Anderson 19,073 42.9 -5.8 Conservative Nigel Adams 15,397 34.6 -2.1 Liberal Democrat Mike Carr 6,670 15.0 +0.4 BNP Anthony Wentworth 1,736 3.9 +3.9 Green Graeme McIver 821 1.8 +1.8 UKIP David Duthie 740 1.7 +1.7 Majority 3,676 8.3 Turnout 44,437 61.5 +2.8 Labour hold Swing -1.9 General Election 2001: Rossendale and Darwen Party Candidate Votes % ±% Labour Janet Anderson 20,251 48.7 -5.0 Conservative George Lee 15,281 36.7 +4.5 Liberal Democrat Brian Dunning 6,079 14.6 +4.0 Majority 4,970 12.0 Turnout 41,611 58.7 -14.3 Labour hold Swing
Elections in the 1990s
General Election 1992: Rossendale and Darwen Party Candidate Votes % ±% Labour Janet Anderson 28,028 43.9 +5.6 Conservative DA Trippier 27,908 43.7 −2.9 Liberal Democrat K Connor 7,226 11.3 −3.8 Green JE Gaffney 596 0.9 N/A Natural Law PN Gorrod 125 0.2 N/A Majority 120 0.2 −8.1 Turnout 63,883 83.0 +2.8 Labour gain from Conservative Swing +4.2
Notes and references
- ^ "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. http://www.boundarycommissionforengland.org.uk/electoral-figures/electoral-figures.htm. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- ^ Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "R" (part 2)
- ^ Rossendale and Darwen, UKPollingReport
- ^ "UK General Election results April 1992". Richard Kimber's Political Science Resources. Politics Resources. 9 April 1992. http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/ge92/i17.htm. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Rossendale and Darwen (UK Parliamentary constituency) — UK constituency infobox Name = Rossendale and Darwen Map1 = RossendaleDarwen Map2 = Lancashire Entity = Lancashire Type = Borough County = Lancashire Year = 1983 MP = Janet Anderson Party = Labour EP = North West England Rossendale and Darwen is… … Wikipedia
Darwen (UK Parliament constituency) — Darwen Former County constituency for the House of Commons 1885 (1885)–1983 (1983) … Wikipedia
Crewe and Nantwich (UK Parliament constituency) — Crewe and Nantwich County constituency for the House of Commons Boundary of Crewe and Nantwich in Cheshire … Wikipedia
Denton and Reddish (UK Parliament constituency) — Denton and Reddish Borough constituency for the House of Commons Boundary of Denton and Reddish in Greater Manchester … Wikipedia
Morecambe and Lunesdale (UK Parliament constituency) — Coordinates: 54°05′20″N 2°49′26″W / 54.089°N 2.824°W / 54.089; 2.824 … Wikipedia
Oldham East and Saddleworth (UK Parliament constituency) — Oldham East and Saddleworth County constituency for the House of Commons Boundary of Oldham East and Saddleworth in … Wikipedia
Oldham West and Royton (UK Parliament constituency) — Oldham West and Royton Borough constituency for the House of Commons Boundary of Oldham West and Royton in Greater … Wikipedia
Rossendale (UK Parliament constituency) — UK former constituency infobox Name = Rossendale Type = County Year = 1885 Abolition = 1983Rossendale was a parliamentary constituency in the United Kingdom. Created in 1885, it comprised the town of Rawtenstall and other towns in the Rossendale… … Wikipedia
City of Chester (UK Parliament constituency) — City of Chester County constituency for the House of Commons Boundary of City of Chester in Cheshire … Wikipedia
North West England (European Parliament constituency) — North West England European Parliament constituency … Wikipedia