- Michel Roux, Jr.
Michel Roux Jnr Born 23 May 1960
Cooking style French
Education Patissier Hellegouarche
French Army/Elysee Palace
Official website http://www.michelroux.co.uk
The son of fellow Michelin starred chef Albert Roux, he undertook apprenticeship work with Master Patissier, Hellegouarche in Paris. From summer 1979 through January 1980, he worked as a commis de cuisine at Le Gavroche, under both his father and his uncle Michel Roux. He then spent two years as a commis de cuisine trainee under Alain Chapel at his hotel and restaurant in Mionnay, in the Rhône-Alpes region near Lyon.
After undertaking basic training with the French Army, from February 1982 to March 1983 he served his military service at the Elysee Palace, working for both Presidents Giscard d'Estaing and François Mitterrand. Having finished his military service, Roux then worked for four months in Paris: two months at Charcuterie Gérard Mothu in St-Mandé; and then two months at Boucherie Lamartine on the Avenue Victor-Hugo.
Returning to London, in August 1983 he learnt accountancy at Finlay Robertson, before becoming the Sous Chef at Gavers. He then took the opportunity to work with renowned chef Pierre Koffman at his Chelsea restaurant La Tante Claire, reverting to the rank of Commis Chef to do so. From October to December 1983, he worked at the Mandarin Hotel, Hong Kong.
Having served his apprenticeship and training mainly away from the Roux brothers British business empire, he joined his uncle at the Waterside Inn, in Bray, Berkshire in 1985, before working with his father at Le Gavroche from the April of the same year. He then worked in and managed the Roux brothers catering business for three years, before returning to Le Gavroche in 1990, the year the two brothers split their business down family lines. When his father retired in 1993, Michel Jr took over the world famous restaurant.
A food consultant to the Walbrook club since 2003, he also consults for the fine dining providers Restaurant Associates. Roux has also written several books, including Le Gavroche Cookbook; The Marathon Chef; and Matching Food and Wine, which was named the best book on matching wine and food at the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards.
Roux has made various television appearances, including on his friend Gordon Ramsay's ITV1 produced Hell's Kitchen, and as an expert judge on BBC2's professional edition of MasterChef, and on "Junior Bake Off" also 'The Apprentice UK series 7'.
Roux is married to Giselle, a Frenchwoman. She has worked in the restaurant business for years, although she is currently the secretary for Le Gavroche. The couple have a daughter, Emily, who is undertaking catering training in France. The family lives in London.
A lover of alcohol, Roux doesn't drink between Monday and Friday, but enjoys Krug champagne on the weekend. Roux is an honorary member of Harlequin F.C. and is a keen marathon runner, having run the London marathon 17 times to raise funds for the children's charity VICTA (Visually Impaired Children Taking Action).
- Le Gavroche Cookbook (2001), London: W&N (Orion), ISBN 978-0304355730
- The Marathon Chef: Food for Getting Fit (2003), London: W&N (Orion), ISBN 978-0297843092
- Le Gavroche Cookbook: Ten Recipes from One of the World's Great Restaurants (2005), London: Phoenix, ISBN 978-0297843924
- Matching Food And Wine: Classic And Not So Classic Combinations (2005), London: W&N (Orion), ISBN 978-0297843795
- Michel Roux: A Life In The Kitchen (2009), London: W&N (Orion), ISBN 978-0297844822
- Cooking with The Master Chef: Food For Your Family & Friends (2010), London: W&N (Orion), ISBN 978-0297863090
- ^ a b c d e "Michel Roux, Jr.". relaischateaux.com. http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/search-book/hotel-restaurant/gavroche/chef. Retrieved 201-01-13.
- ^ a b c d "Biography : CHEF MICHEL ROUX JNR". Hub UK. http://www.hub-uk.com/chefsbios/michelrouxjr.htm. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- ^ a b c Amanda Mosle Freidman (24 September 2007). "Michel Roux Jr. keeps tradition alive at Le Gavroche". Nation's Restaurant News. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3190/is_38_41/ai_n27391304. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- ^ "Michel Roux Jr on MasterChef: interview". Telegraph. 11 September 2009. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/6161953/Michel-Roux-Jr-on-MasterChef-interview.html.
- ^ "Mind & Body – Michel Roux Jr". BBC Wales. http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/raiseyourgame/pages/michel_roux.shtml. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
- ^ Edworthy, Sarah (14 February 2008). "Michel Roux Jr savours flavours of two nations". London: The Telegraph. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/2291722/Michel-Roux-Jr-savours-flavours-of-two-nations.html. Retrieved 28 August 2008.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Michel Roux Jr — Infobox Chef name = Michel Roux Jr caption = birthdate = birth date and age|1960|05|23|mf=y birthplace = England deathdate = deathplace = style = French Nouvelle Cuisine education = Patissier Hellegouarche Le Gavroche Alain Chapel French… … Wikipedia
Michel Roux — For the British born French chef, see Michel Roux Jr. Michel Roux Born 19 April 1941 (1941 04 19) (age 70) Charolles, France Michel Roux (born 19 April 1941) is a French born chef and restaurateur working in Britain … Wikipedia
Michel Roux — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie différentes personnes partageant un même nom. Pour les articles homonymes, voir Roux (homonymie). Michel Roux (1924 1998), artiste lyrique français ; Michel Roux (1929 2007), comédien français ;… … Wikipédia en Français
Michel Roux-Spitz — Born 13 June 1888 Died 15 July 1957 Nationality French Awards Prix de Rome in 1920 Michel Roux Spitz (13 June 1888 15 July 1957) was a French architect … Wikipedia
Michel roux-spitz — Michel Roux Spitz, né le 13 juin 1888 à Lyon et mort le 15 juillet 1957 à Dinard est un architecte français. Sommaire 1 Biographie 2 Principales réalisations 3 R … Wikipédia en Français
Michel Roux (baritone) — Michel Roux was a French baritone, an established principal at the Paris Opéra who also enjoyed an international career. He was born in Angoulême on 1 September 1924 and died in Paris on 4 February 1998. Roux studied at the Bordeaux… … Wikipedia
Michel Roux (actor) — Michel Roux (July 22, 1929 in Colombes, Hauts de Seine February 2, 2007 in Paris) was a French actor. He was also the French Voice for many American and Italian actors, such as Jack Lemmon, Peter Sellers, Alec Guinness and Tony Curtis. The main… … Wikipedia
Michel Roux (acteur) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Michel Roux et Roux. Michel Roux Données clés Naissance 22 juillet 1929 Colombes, France Nationalité … Wikipédia en Français
Michel Roux-Spitz — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Roux (homonymie). Michel Roux Spitz Présentation Naissance 13 juin 1888 Lyon Décès … Wikipédia en Français
Michel Roux (chanteur) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Michel Roux et Roux. Michel Roux est un artiste lyrique (baryton basse) français, né à Angoulême en 1924 et mort à Paris le 4 février 1998. Sommaire 1 Biographie … Wikipédia en Français