- Miss Philippines Earth
Miss Philippines Earth Motto Beauties for a Cause Formation 2001 Type Beauty Pageant Headquarters Manila Location Philippines Membership Carousel Productions
Official languages English President Ramon Monzon Key people Lorraine Schuck (Executive Vice President)
Peachy O. Veneracion (Vice President & Project Director)
Ping Valencia (Vice President for External Relations)
The Miss Philippines Earth, originally called "Miss Philippines" in its early years, is a beauty pageant held annually in search of the most beautiful and environmental-friendly woman in the Philippines. Miss Philippines Earth is the largest and most widely participated beauty pageant in the Philippines with 50 official candidates participating in 2009.
The reigning titleholders dedicate their year to promote environmental projects and to address issues concerning the environment. They also serve as spokesperson for the Miss Earth Foundation, the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and other environmental organizations. The grand winner will represent Philippines in Miss Earth pageant. The beauty pageant's current titleholder is Athena Mae Imperial.
In the first quarter of 2001, Carousel Productions relinquished the franchise for both Mutya ng Pilipinas (Beauty of the Philippines) and Miss Asia Pacific International beauty contests and decided to establish a beauty pageant whose cause is to have its candidates and winners actively promote and get involved in the preservation of the environment and the protection of Mother Earth. As a result, Miss Philippines (currently called Miss Philippines Earth) and Miss Earth pageants were established.
Miss Philippines beauty pageant was formally launched in a press conference on April 3, 2001 with the search of a delegate to represent Philippines in the international Miss Earth pageant. The pageant tied up with the Philippine government agencies such as the Philippine Department of Tourism (DoT), Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA), and at least two international environmental groups such as the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the American Global Release to further its environmental advocacy.
The pageant contestants are called "Beauties for a Cause." The competition includes swimsuit competition, long gown parade, talent competition, but more weight is given to personality and also to ecological and environmental intelligence in the interview portion.
In 2006, Carousel Productions opened the contest to Filipina women of foreign ancestry, or from those living abroad such as Australia, France, Germany, United Arab Emirates and the United States.
In 2008, Miss Philippines-Earth broadened its coverage to include candidates from various provinces, cities, and municipalities. The decision to transform Miss Philippines Earth in a larger-scale was made to further the cause of Miss Philippines Earth and with more participants involved, Carousel Productions would be able to reach more people and communities involved in its environmental advocacy.
Carousel Production previously held beauty contest in 12 Regions of the Philippines from 2001-2007, through its local franchises. The winners of those contest in turn competed with 12 more contestants from the National Capital Region for the coveted title.
In 2006, Carousel Production opened the contest to Filipina women of foreign ancestry, or living abroad. In 2008, Miss Philippines-Earth broaden its coverage to various provinces, cities, municipalities to send in their candidate.
From 2007- 2008, the first runner-up or Miss Air, was officially designated the Miss Philippines Tourism Queen International (MTQI) title and competed at Miss Tourism Queen International pageant. However, starting 2009, the Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism titleholder represents the Philippines in the Miss Tourism Queen International pageant.
In 2009, it was also declared that the four elemental court of the Miss Philippines Earth winner namely: Miss Philippines- Air, Miss Philippines- Water, Miss Philippines- Fire, and Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism are all equal winners and the remaining five finalists that failed to advance in the top five are the runners up of the pageant.
Awards and titles
Just like in Miss Earth pageant, the winner of the beauty contest is bestowed the title Miss Philippines Earth; her runner ups are also given titles named after the other natural elements:Miss Philippines Eco Tourism (fourth runner-up), Miss Philippines Fire (equivalent to third runner-up), Miss Philippines Water (second runner-up), and Miss Philippines Air (first runner-up). Miss Earth is the only one of the "Big Four" pageants which have individual titles for the runners-up.
In 2009, Carousel Productions, the organizer of Miss Philippines Earth, has changed the ranking of the runners up and winners. The judges now select 10 finalists to compete for the top five. The top five then vie for the grand crown (Miss Philippines Earth) and the four other equal crowns. The remaining five finalists who fail to advance in the top five serve as the runners up of the pageant.
Year Miss Philippines Earth Miss Philippines Air Miss Philippines Water Miss Philippines Fire Miss Philippines Eco Tourism 2001 Carlene Ang Aguilar Maria del Carmen Antigua Anjelly Gamboa Marites Orjalesa Gemma Gatdula 2002 April Ross Perez Justine Vinluan Gabionza Gina Ritter Sheryll Anne Ducusin Honeylet Christine Gascon 2003 Laura Marie Dunlap Evangeline Natalie S. Tarin Sheryl Lou Franco Lesley Jean Samson Mary Joyce Garcia 2004 Tamera Marie Lagac Szijarto Nadia C. Camolli Jasmin Chua Sheila Margrethe Alonso Keithley Anne Campos 2005 Genebelle Francisco Raagas Nadia Lee Cien dela Cruz Shami Arleine Villanueva Antonette Stephanie Yu April Lynn Villanueva 2006 Catherine Yu Untalan Ginger Ann Abadiano Conejero Katrina Grace Rigets Francis Dianne Cervantes Reena Rae Sarmiento 2007 Jeanne Angeles Harn Krystle Ann Gonzalez Dizon Joyce Nocomura Sarah Katrina Miñoza Anna Katrina Bautista 2008 Karla Paula Ginteroy Henry Marie Razel Triff Eguia Marian Michelle Oblea Ma. Kristelle Lazaro Maria Venus Raj 2009 Sandra Seifert Michelle Braun Catherine Loyola Patricia Tumulak Grezilda Adelantar 2010 Kris Psyche Resus Renee Rosario McHugh Emmerie Dale Cunanan Gwennaelle Ruais Angela Lauren Fernando 2011 Athena Mae Imperial Jonavi Raisa Quiray Murielle Adrienne Orais Michelle Gavagan Tarhata Rico
^1 Note: Starting 2009, Miss Philippines Earth remained the grand title of the event, but the four other titles i.e., Miss Philippines- Air, Miss Philippines- Water, Miss Philippines- Fire, and Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism are all equal winners. The remaining five finalists in the top 10 that failed to advance in the top five are the runners up of the pageant.
Year Miss PAGCOR International Tourism Ambassadress 2008 Melanie Felix 2009 Grezilda Adelantar 2010 Sandra Seifert Year Miss Science and Technology 2009 Patricia Tumulak
Table of the top rankings for the Miss Earth pageant, based on all results from the first to the most recent event. From 2001 to 2009 the delegates represented their regions.
Rank Regions Miss Philippines Earth Miss Philippines Air Miss Philippines Water Miss Philippines Fire Miss Philippines Eco Tourism 1 National Capital Region 5 3 3 4 1 2 Western Visayas 1 1 2 1 1 3 Central Visayas 1 1 2 1 1 4 Zamboanga Peninsula 1 2 0 0 0 5 Central Luzon 2 0 1 1 2 6 Bicol 0 1 1 1 2 7 Ilocos 0 0 1 0 2 8 Northern Mindanao 0 0 0 1 0
Administrative division tally
If the delegates in the past years representing their regions, Starting 2008, they proudly carrying the flag of either their province, their city or their municipality, and other Filipino communities abroad. This year delegates from Germany, France and two from the US were represented.
Rank Municipality/City/Province/Overseas Filipino Community Miss Philippines Earth Miss Philippines Air Miss Philippines Water Miss Philippines Fire Miss Philippines Eco Tourism 1 Cebu City 1 0 0 0 0 2 Dipolog 0 1 0 0 1 3 Victorias City 0 0 0 0 1 4 Obando 0 0 1 0 0 5 Candaba 0 0 0 1 0 6 Aklan 0 0 1 0 0 7 Antique 0 0 1 0 0
Island group tally
As of 2009
REGION Title(s) Best Performance Luzon 6 National Capital Region and Central Luzon Visayas 2 Cebu City and Negros Occidental (1) Mindanao 1 Zamboanga City (1)
- In its formative years, the pageant was simply known as Miss Philippines, but to avoid confusion with another Philippine national pageant of the same name, Binibining Pilipinas (which direct English translation is Miss Philippines, and is responsible for selecting representatives to Miss Universe, Miss World, and Miss International pageants), the name was changed to Miss Philippines Earth.
- This pageant has no connection to the original "Miss Philippines" pageants of the early 1950s.
- Miss Philippines (Earth) 2001, Carlene Aguilar, joined Binibining Pilipinas in 2005, and won the Bb. Pilipinas World title. She represented the Philippines in the Miss World pageant where she was a semi-finalist.
- Justine Gabionza, Miss Philippines-Air 2002, represented the Philippines at the 2006 Miss Tourism Queen International and ultimately claimed the title.
- Sheila Margrethe Alonso, Miss Philippines-Fire 2005, was appointed and represented the Philippines at the Miss Tourism Queen International 2005, placing as one of the 12 semifinalists.
- Miss Philippines-Air 2005, Nadia Lee Cien Shami, joined Binibining Pilipinas 2007 and won the Bb. Pilipinas International title and represented the Philippine delegate in the Miss International 2007.
- Karla Paula Henry, Miss Philippines Earth 2008 and Ma. Kristelle Lazaro, Miss Philippines Fire 2008 competed at Binibining Pilipinas 2008 where they were unplaced.
- Stephen McCormick from Wildwave.com Ireland is the first ever international judge in Miss Philippines-Earth history. Mr Mccormick is also a Shareholder in Asian music TV station IAMtv.
- Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism 2008, Maria Venus Raj, Joined Binibining Pilipinas 2010 and won the Bb. Pilipinas-Universe, she represented the country for Miss Universe 2010 in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA and placed 4th runner-up.
Miss Earth performance
Below are the complete names of the annual titleholders of Miss Philippines Earth, listed in ascending order and according to the year in which they participated in Miss Earth, their height and age during their national crowning and their final placement in the aforementioned international pageant after their participation.
Year Titleholders Age Height Miss Earth placement & awards 2011 Athena Mae Duarte Imperial 24 1.68 m (5 ft 6 in) TBD 2010 Kris Psyche Resus y Orozco 22 1.68 m (5 ft 6 in) Unplaced
- Miss Aodai (Top 5)
2009 Sandra Inez Suravilla Seifert 25 1.75 m (5 ft 9 in) Miss Air (1st Runner-Up)
- Best in Long Gown
- Best in Swimsuit
2008 Karla Paula Ginteroy Henry 21 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in) Miss Earth 2008
- Miss Photogenic
2007 Jeanne Angeles Harn 25 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in) Unplaced
- Miss Photogenic
2006 Catherine Yu Untalan 20 1.83 m (6 ft 0 in) Miss Water (2nd Runner-Up) 2005 Genebelle Francisco Raagas 18 1.78 m (5 ft 10 in) Top 16 Semi-finalist 2004 Tamera Marie Lagac Szijarto 21 1.74 m (5 ft 8 1⁄2 in) Top 8 Finalist 2003 Laura Marie Dunlap y Mercado 19 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in) Top 10 Semi-finalist 2002 April Ross Perez y Lim 20 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in) Top 10 Semi-finalist
- Miss Photogenic
2001 Carlene Ang Aguilar 19 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in) Top 10 Semi-finalist
- Best in Long Gown
Miss Tourism Queen International representatives
Miss Philippines Earth Organization (Carousel Productions) holds the franchise for Miss Tourism Queen International (MTQI) pageant.
The following is the list of the Miss Tourism Queen International Philippines titleholders and their placements:
Year Titleholders Local Title Age Height MTQI placement & awards 2012 TBA TBD 2011 Emmerie Dale Cunanan Miss Philippines Water 2010 19 1.63 m (5 ft 4 in) TBD 2010 Grezilda Ennis 'Adie' Simondo Adelantar Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism 2009 21 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in) No pageant held/Cancelled 2009 Marie Razel Triff Eguia Miss Philippines Air 2008 20 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in) Unplaced
- 3rd Place Best in Evening Gown
2008 Krystle Ann Gonzalez Dizon Miss Philippines Air 2007 18 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in) Unplaced 2007 Annemarie Rose Santos Jebb Miss Philippines 2007 Semifinalist 21 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in) Unplaced 2006 Justine Vinluan Gabionza Miss Philippines Air 2002 23 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in) Miss Tourism Queen International 2006
- Asia's Queen
2005 Sheila Margrethe Aguilar Alonso Miss Philippines Fire 2004 20 1.73 m (5 ft 8 in) Top 12 Semi-finalist at MTQI 2005
- Best Smile Awardee
2004 Charisse Ocrisma 2003 MTV Fashionista 2nd runner-up; appointed 21 1.78 m (5 ft 10 in) Unplaced
- Miss Bikini
- Grezilda Ennis Adelantar, Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism 2009/Miss PAGCOR (1st runner-up/Vice Miss) and Miss Philippines -Tourism Queen International 2009-2010 titleholder will represent the Philippines at the 2010 Miss Tourism Queen International in China in August 2010. Grezilda or Adie is the first Miss Philippines Eco-Tourism tileholder to be designated the Miss TQI-Philippines title after placing 1st runner-up/Vice Miss at the recently concluded Miss Earth Philippines 2009 pageant won by Sandra Inez Seifert. The placement of the 4 runners-up were interchanged making Miss Eco-Tourism as 1st runner-up/Vice Miss, Miss Fire as 2nd runner-up, Miss Air as 3rd runner-up, and Miss Water as 4th runner-up.
- Marie Razel Eguia, Miss Philippines Air 2008 (1st runner-up/Vice Miss) and Miss Tourism Queen International-Philippines 2008-2009 titleholder will represent the Philippines at the 2009 Miss Tourism Queen International to be held in China on August 30. Razel is the 2nd officially designated-Miss Tourism Queen International-Philippines titleholder after placing as Miss Air/first runner-up or Vice Miss at the 2008 Miss Philippines Earth pageant.
- Krystle Ann Dizon, Miss Philippines Air 2007 (1st runner-up/Vice Miss) was "officially-designated" the Miss Philippines Tourism Queen International 2007-2008 title and represented the Philippines at the 2008 Miss Tourism Queen International held in China on April 12 but was unplaced. Krystle is the "very first" officially designated-Miss Philippines Tourism Queen International titleholder after placing as Miss Air/first runner-up at the 2007 Miss Philippines Earth pageant. This year's Miss Air/first runner-up will automatically be "designated-Miss Philippines Tourism Queen International 2008-2009." Miss Air/first runner-up will represent the Philippines at the 2009 Miss Tourism Queen International pageant which will be held in China in August 2009.
- Annemarie Rose Jebb, Miss Earth Philippines 2007 Top 10 semifinalist, was appointed and represented the Philippines at the 2007 Miss Tourism Queen International but was unplaced.
- Ginger Ann Conejero, Miss Philippines-Air 2006 (1st runner-up/Vice Miss), was appointed and represented the Philippines at the 2007 Miss Global Beauty Queen Pageant first-hand but was unplaced; she was unable to compete at the 2007 Miss Tourism Queen International due to schedule conflict as a TV reporter for ABS-CBN. She was replaced by Annemarie Rose Jebb, Top 10 semifinalist Miss Earth Philippines 2007.
- Justine Gabionza, Miss Philippines-Air 2002 (1st Runner-Up/Vice Miss), was appointed and represented the Philippines at the 2006 Miss Tourism Queen International and ultimately claimed the title.
- Sheila Margrethe Alonso, Miss Philippines-Fire 2005 (3rd runner-up), was appointed and represented the Philippines at the Miss Tourism Queen International 2005, placing one of the 12 semifinalists.
- Charisse Ocrisma, ramp model & MTV Fashionista 2003 2nd runner-up was appointed and represented the Philippines at the Miss Tourism Queen International 2004 but was unplaced.
- ^ News, Entertainment (2009-05-11). "NegOcc beauty queen is Miss Philippines Earth 2009". ABS-CBN Interactive. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/05/11/09/negocc-beauty-queen-miss-philippines-earth-2009. Retrieved 2009-05-13.
- ^ a b c d Schuck, Lorraine (2008-06-05). "About Miss Philippines: Beauty Pageant with a Cause". Miss Philippines Earth official website. http://www.missphilippines-earth.com/?page_id=5. Retrieved 2009-01-02.
- ^ Online News, ABS_CBN (2009-05-11). "NegOcc beauty queen is Miss Philippines Earth 2009". ABS-CBN Network. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/05/11/09/negocc-beauty-queen-miss-philippines-earth-2009. Retrieved 2010-04-06.
- ^ a b c d e f g Adina, Armin (2008-05-13). "Second time a charm for new Miss Earth". Philippine Daily Inquirer. http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/entertainment/entertainment/view/20080513-136201/Second-time-a-charm-for-new-Miss-Earth. Retrieved 2008-12-31.
- ^ a b c d e f g Jojo, DJ Mojo (2008-05-17). "Mother’s Day for Mother Earth". The Manila Bulletin. http://www.mb.com.ph/issues/2008/05/17/ENTR20080517124714.html. Retrieved 2008-12-31. [dead link]
- ^ News Online, Reuters (2004-10-08). "Contestants of Miss Earth 2004 beauty pageant". The Tribune India. http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20041008/world.htm. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- ^ Borja, Tessa (2007-10-17). "Jennifer Neves is Miss Earth Guam". Marianas Variety News, Guam Edition. http://guam.mvarietynews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=160%3Ajennifer-neves-is-miss-earth-guam&catid=1%3Aguam-local-news&Itemid=2. Retrieved 2009-05-04.
- ^ Lo, Ricardo F. (2001-04-03). "Two new RP Beauty Contests Coming Up". Philippine Headline News/Philippine Star. http://www.newsflash.org/2001/04/sb/sb001641.htm. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- ^ Xinhua News, Online (2001-08-29). "Philippines to Host Miss Earth 2001 Beauty Contest". Xinhua News Agency. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20010829/446455.htm. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- ^ Barawid, Rachel Castro (2001-10-11). "35 beauties vying for Miss Earth title". Manila Bulletin. http://www.articlearchives.com/environment-natural-resources/environmental/89385-1.html. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- ^ Barawid, Rachel (2001-10-30). "Danish student wins 1st Miss Earth title". Manila Bulletin. http://www.articlearchives.com/sports-recreation/sports-games-outdoor-recreation-tennis/93020-1.html. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- ^ a b Soul, John (2009-04-03). "Miss Philippines Earth 2009: The Beauty with a Cause Pageant". http://www.womanoftheearth.tv/2009/national/miss-philippines-earth-2009-the-beauty-with-a-cause-pageant.html. Retrieved 2009-04-12.
- ^ ABS-CBN News, Online (2009-05-11). "NegOcc beauty queen is Miss Philippines Earth 2009". ABS-CBN News. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/entertainment/05/11/09/negocc-beauty-queen-miss-philippines-earth-2009. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
- ^ Adina, Armin (2009-05-12). "2 Negrense beauties top pageant". Philippine Daily Inquirer. http://showbizandstyle.inquirer.net/lifestyle/lifestyle/view/20090512-204488/2-Negrense-beauties-top-pageant. Retrieved 2010-03-02.
Miss Philippines-Earth Miss Earth participant countries and territories
Afghanistan · Albania · Antigua & Barbuda · Argentina · Australia · Austria · Bahamas · Barbados · Belgium · Belize · Bhutan · Bolivia · Bosnia & Herzegovina · Botswana · Brazil · Bulgaria · Cambodia · Canada · Cayman Islands · Chile · China PR · Colombia · Congo DR · Republic of Congo · Costa Rica · Crimea · Croatia · Curaçao · Cyprus · Czech Republic · Denmark · Dominican Republic · Ecuador · Egypt · El Salvador · England · Estonia · Ethiopia · Finland · France · Georgia · Germany · Ghana · Gibraltar · Greece · Guadeloupe · Guam · Guatemala · Guyana · Honduras · Hong Kong · Hungary · Iceland · India · Indonesia · Ireland · Israel · Italy · Jamaica · Japan · Kazakhstan · Kenya · Korea · Kosovo · Latvia · Lebanon · Liberia · Lithuania · Luxembourg · Macedonia FYRO · Madagascar · Malawi · Malaysia · Malta · Martinique · Mauritius · Mexico · Moldova · Mongolia · Montenegro · Namibia · Nepal · Netherlands · New Zealand · Nicaragua · Nigeria · Northern Ireland · Norway · Pakistan · Panama · Paraguay · Peru · Philippines · Poland · Portugal · Puerto Rico · Romania · Russia · St. Lucia · Scotland · Serbia · Seychelles · Sierra Leone · Singapore · Slovak Republic · Slovenia · South Africa · Spain · Sri Lanka · Suriname · Swaziland · Sweden · Switzerland · Tahiti · Chinese Taipei · Tanzania · Thailand · Tibet · Trinidad & Tobago · Tokelau · Turkey · Turks and Caicos Islands · Uganda · Ukraine · United States · Uruguay · US Virgin Islands Venezuela · Vietnam · Wales · Zambia · Zimbabwe
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Miss Philippines-Earth — The Miss Earth Philippines is a beauty pageant held annually in search of the most beautiful and environmental friendly woman in the Philippines.Along with Binibining Pilipinas pageant, Miss Philippines Earth is one of the biggest and largest… … Wikipedia
Miss Philippines Earth 2009 — Date 10 May 2009 Presenters Billy Crawford Nikki Gil Venue The Arena Entertainment and Recreational Center of the People, San Juan City Broadcaster ABS CBN (local) The Filipino Channel(internationa … Wikipedia
Miss Philippines Earth 2010 — Manila Ocean Park The venue of Miss Philippines Earth 2010 Date 24 April 2010 Presenters Karla Henry, Ginger Conejero, and Alvin Alfonso ( VJ Alvey ) … Wikipedia
Miss Philippines Earth 2008 — Karla Paula Henry Miss Philippines Earth 2008 Date 11 May 2008 Presenters Rafael Rosell, with Nikki Gil Ginger Conejero … Wikipedia
Miss Philippines Earth 2011 — Puerto Princesa The host of Miss Philippines Earth 2011 Date 5 June 2011 Presenters Sandra Seifert, Cathy Untalan, Ginger Coneje … Wikipedia
Miss Philippines Earth 2007 — Miss Philippines Earth 2007, Jeanne Angeles Harn Date 29 April 2007 Presenters Piolo Pascual, John Lloyd Cruz, and Ginger Conejero … Wikipedia
Miss Philippines Earth 2001 — University of the Philippines Diliman The host of Miss Philippines Earth 2001 Date 28 April 2001 Presenters VJ Joey Mead, Calvin Millado … Wikipedia
Miss Philippines Earth 2002 — Date 12 May 2002 Presenters Pia Guanio Bobby Yan Venue University of the Philippines Theater, Quezon City, Philippines Broadcaster ABS CBN and The Filipino Channel … Wikipedia
Miss Philippines Earth 2003 — Date 11 May 2003 Presenters Marc Nelson Venue Aguinaldo Theather, Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City, Philippines Broadcaster ABS CBN and The Filipino Channel … Wikipedia
Miss Netherlands Earth — is a national beauty pageant which selects the national Dutch representative for the Miss Earth beauty pageant. The pageant uses the theme: Beauties for a Cause , the same theme as the international Miss Earth pageant. The Miss Netherlands Earth… … Wikipedia