- NZR AK class carriage
NZR AK class In service 2 November 2011 Manufacturer Hillside Engineering Constructed 2010–2012 Number under construction 14 Number in service 3 Operator Tranz Scenic Line(s) served Main North Line,
Specifications Gauge 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm)
The NZR AK class of 17 carriages is currently being built in Dunedin's Hillside Workshops for KiwiRail's long distance passenger operator, Tranz Scenic. The three buffet cars will be classified AKC. Part of the project also includes converting three existing AG carriages to open-air viewing carriages similar to those already used on the TranzAlpine and the Coastal Pacific.
Three of the new cars entered service on the Coastal Pacific on 2 November 2011.
The carriages will be used on the TranzAlpine and the Coastal Pacific services, replacing the old panorama 56-foot carriages. The funding of the $NZ39.9 million for the 17 AK cars was announced by the fifth National government in March 2009.
The carriages feature a new white livery with the KiwiRail logo on the side.
The cars were designed by KiwiRail's Mechanical design staff in Wellington. The new carriages will feature GPS triggered announcements, with displays and commentary at each seat in a choice of five languages: Mandarin, Japanese, German, French and English. The AK cars will run on a newly designed P13 bogie. Seating has been supplied by a Wellington-based manufacturer.
- ^ Palmer, Kloe (3 November 2011). "New carriages debut on South-Island's rails". Christchurch: 3 News. http://www.3news.co.nz/New-carriages-debut-on-South-Islands-rails/tabid/420/articleID/231623/Default.aspx. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- ^ "AK1 External". Flickr user 'Wekapass' – accessed 27 March 2011. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tranzscenicpics/5560787724/in/photostream/.
- ^ "Hillside Engineering unveils work in progress". Otago Daily Times. 18 May 2010. http://www.odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/106481/hillside-engineering-unveils-work-progress.
- ^ "KiwiRail chooses motovated for new bogie". Scoop News – accessed 29 March 2011. http://business.scoop.co.nz/2010/10/29/kiwirail-chooses-motovated-for-new-bogie//.
- ^ RUTHERFORD, HAMISH (25 July 2011). "Rail contract boom for Lower Hutt firm". The Dominion Post (Fairfax New Zealand). http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/news/5334152/Rail-contract-boom-for-Lower-Hutt-firm. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- KiwiRail Express 19 May 2010
- Hillside's $40m contract 15 May 2010 Otago Daily Times
- Hillside Engineering Website
- KiwiRail Group Website
- Tranz Scenic Website
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
NZR 56-foot carriage — NZR A class 56 foot carriage A NZR 56 foot carriage used by the Taieri Gorge Railway at Dunedin Railway Station In service 1937 present Manufacturer New Zealand Rail … Wikipedia
NZR JA class — JA 1271 with excursion consist climbing the Opapa incline. Photo by Joseph Christianson Power type Steam Builder NZR Hillside Workshops … Wikipedia
NZR KA class — A streamlined KA class locomotive Power type Steam Builder NZR Hutt Workshops Build date 1939 1945, 1950 … Wikipedia
NZR K class (1932) — K900 on static display at MOTAT. Photo: Hayden Booth Power type Steam Builder NZR Hutt Workshops Build date 1932 1936 … Wikipedia
NZR DSC class — DSC class locomotive 2693 at Dunedin Power type Diesel electric Builder British Thomson Houston (18), NZR Hillside Workshops and Addington Workshops (52) … Wikipedia
NZR WAB class — WAB 794 on its first excursion after restoration, with the Capital Connection rolling stock. Photo by Joseph Christianson Power type Steam Builder NZR … Wikipedia
NZR TR class — TR 156 at Ferrymead Power type Diesel Mechanical/Hydraulic Builder Drewry Car Co (29), A G Price (39), W G Bagnall (7), Hitachi (6) … Wikipedia
NZR AB class — Preserved AB 778 hauling the Kingston Flyer Power type Steam Builder NZGR Addington Workshops (38) … Wikipedia
NZR KB class — Power type Steam Builder NZR Hillside Workshops, Dunedin Build date 1939 Configuration 4 8 4 Gauge 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) Cape gauge Whe … Wikipedia
NZR RM class (88 seater) — NZR RM class Articulated 88 seater Blue Streak 88 seater RM 125 at Feilding in 1974 In service 1955 1978 Manufacturer Drewry Car Co … Wikipedia