- Off the Ground
Off the Ground Studio album by Paul McCartney Released 1 February 1993 Recorded November 1991 - July 1992 Genre Rock Length 50:25 Label Parlophone/EMI Producer Paul McCartney, Julian Mendelsohn Paul McCartney chronology Paul McCartney's Liverpool Oratorio
Off the Ground
Paul Is Live
Professional ratings Review scores Source Rating Allmusic  Chicago Tribune (Favourable) Entertainment Weekly (C-)  Houston Chronicle  Los Angeles Times  The New York Times (Favourable) Rolling Stone  This table needs to be expanded using prose. See the guideline for more information.
Recording and structure
When the sessions for the album began in the autumn of 1991, McCartney decided to use his current touring band as session musicians, most of whom had already appeared on Flowers in the Dirt. In addition, "Mistress and Maid" and "The Lovers That Never Were", which emerged from his songwriting collaboration with Elvis Costello, made their appearance on this album. Unlike Flowers in the Dirt, however, Costello would not appear on Off the Ground.
One of the main differences between Flowers in the Dirt and Off the Ground is the leaner, more direct sound. With the musicians sounding less studied than they had on the previous release, Off the Ground has a relaxed, natural feel by comparison. Another change is McCartney's increased interest in social issues, be it the scathing anti-animal cruelty rocker "Looking for Changes" (McCartney and his wife Linda long-time vegetarians by this time) or paeans for a better world ("Hope of Deliverance" and "C'Mon People").
The lead single, "Hope of Deliverance", was released in the last week of December 1992 and the album followed in February 1993. While Off the Ground hit #5 in the UK and reached #17 in the US, where it eventually went gold, it was the first Paul McCartney album to not contain a sizeable US hit single since Wings' Wild Life in 1971. While "Hope of Deliverance" floundered there, it managed to reach #18 in the UK, where "C'Mon People" would become a minor hit as well. The album spent only 6 weeks inside the Top 100 in the UK, eventually reaching #5 there. In Germany, the album was particularly successful and certified platinum with "Hope of Deliverance" reaching #3 on the singles chart and the album spending four weeks at #2.
Some weeks after its release, McCartney launched "The New World Tour", taking in many successful shows across the globe during the summer months. These gigs were documented on the album Paul Is Live, which followed at the end of 1993.
Although generally considered a slightly weaker successor to Flowers in the Dirt and now somewhat overlooked, Off the Ground is prized by many McCartney followers.
The feet on the album cover are actually of McCartney, his wife Linda and his touring band.
All songs composed and written by Paul McCartney, except "Mistress and Maid" and "The Lovers That Never Were" co-written by Declan MacManus.
- "Off the Ground" – 3:40
- "Looking for Changes" – 2:47
- "Hope of Deliverance" – 3:22
- "Mistress and Maid" – 3:00
- "I Owe It All to You" – 4:51
- "Biker Like an Icon" – 3:26
- "Peace in the Neighbourhood" – 5:06
- "Golden Earth Girl" – 3:45
- "The Lovers That Never Were" – 3:43
- "Get Out of My Way" – 3:32
- "Winedark Open Sea" – 5:27
- "C'Mon People" – 7:42
- Followed by a hidden excerpt of an unlisted song called "Cosmically Conscious", originally written by McCartney in 1968 during The Beatles' stay in Rishikesh.
Off the Ground: The Complete Works
Off the Ground: The Complete Works is a two-disc set released in Japan and the Netherlands. This edition included McCartney's rare use of swear words in the song "Big Boys Bickering", a protest song. Other notable songs on this edition are "Long Leather Coat" and "I Can't Imagine".
Track listing of CD2
- "Long Leather Coat" (McCartney/McCartney)
- "Keep Coming Back to Love" (McCartney/Stuart)
- "Sweet Sweet Memories"
- "Things We Said Today" (Lennon/McCartney)
- "Midnight Special" (Arranged by "Lead Belly" Ledbetter/Alan Lomax)
- "Style Style"
- "I Can't Imagine"
- "Cosmically Conscious" - 4:39
- "Kicked Around No More"
- "Big Boys Bickering"
- "Down to the River"
- "Soggy Noodle"
Interestingly, even though the album is called the "complete works," it is missing two b-sides and three promo remixes. Those tracks are "Deliverance" and "Deliverance (Dub Mix)", dance-oriented reworkings of the song "Hope of Deliverance", released as b-sides of the C'mon People CD single #1, and the three promo remixes of "Off the Ground" released to American radio, namely the Bob Clearmountain remix, the Keith Cohen remix, and the Keith Cohen AC remix.
Also, when the iTunes store added his catalog of music in 2007, they included "I Can't Imagine" as an exclusive bonus track on the album.
Chart (1993) Position Australian ARIA Albums Chart 8 Austrian Albums Chart 4 Canadian RPM Albums Chart 22 Dutch Mega Albums Chart 5 French SNEP Albums Chart  13 German Media Control Albums Chart 2 Hungarian Albums Chart  21 Italian Albums Chart 5 Japanese Oricon Weekly Albums Chart 5 New Zealand Albums Chart 4 Norwegian VG-lista Albums Chart 2 Swedish Albums Chart 10 Swiss Albums Chart 5 UK Albums Chart  5 United States Billboard 200 17
Chart (1993) Position Austrian Albums Chart 23 Italian Albums Chart 34
Certifications and Sales
Region Certification Sales/shipments Austria (IFPI Austria) Gold 25,000x Canada (Music Canada) Gold 50,000^ France (SNEP) Gold 167,400 Germany (BVMI) Platinum 500,000^ Japan (Oricon Charts) 92,000 Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland) Gold 25,000x United Kingdom (BPI) Silver 60,000^ United States (RIAA) Gold 500,000^
^shipments figures based on certification alone
xunspecified figures based on certification alone
- JPGR's Beatles site: Paul McCartney's Off The Ground
- Lost Song from Off The Ground Re-worked by Beatle Tribute Musicians
- ^ Off the Ground at Allmusic
- ^ Kot, Greg (1993-02-05). "PMccartney Back On Top Of His Pop Material". chicagotribune.com. Chicago Tribune. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993-02-05/entertainment/9303175697_1_wix-wickens-paul-mccartney-cop-killer. Retrieved 2011-10-22.
- ^ Altman, Billy (1993-02-12). "Off the Ground Review". ew.com. Entertainment Weekly. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20207872,00.html. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ Racine, Martin (1993-02-09). "Nice & friendly/Mushy Paul McCartney finally gets off the ground and Wings it". http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/1993_1110411/nice-amp-friendly-mushy-paul-mccartney-finally-get.html. Retrieved 2011-11-04.
- ^ Hochman, Steve (1993-02-07). "Paul McCartney - "Off the Ground" (Capitol)". articles.latimes.com. Los Angeles Times. http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-07/entertainment/ca-1389_1_paul-mccartney. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- ^ Kozinn, Allan (1993-02-14). "RECORDINGS VIEW; Paul McCartney Reaches for Past Glory". nytimes.com. The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/1993/02/14/arts/recordings-view-paul-mccartney-reaches-for-past-glory.html?. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ Puterbaugh, Parke (1993-02-18), Off the Ground by Paul McCartney, archived from the original on 2011-08-29, http://web.archive.org/web/20090416214350/http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/paulmccartney/albums/album/210717/review/5941223/off_the_ground, retrieved 2008-04-16
- ^ "australian-charts.com Paul McCartney - Off The Ground". Australian Recording Industry Association. http://australian-charts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Paul+McCartney&titel=Off+The+Ground&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "Paul McCartney - Off The Ground - austriancharts.at". http://austriancharts.at/showitem.asp?interpret=Paul+McCartney&titel=Off+The+Ground&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved 2011-10-29
- ^ "dutchcharts.nl Paul McCartney - Off The Ground". dutchcharts.nl. MegaCharts. http://dutchcharts.nl/showitem.asp?interpret=Paul+McCartney&titel=Off+The+Ground&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "InfoDisc : Tous les Albums classés par Artiste > Choisir Un Artiste Dans la Liste". infodisc.fr. http://infodisc.fr/Album_M.php. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ musicline.de chartverfolgung "McCartney, Paul - Off The Ground". hitparade.ch. http://www.musicline.de/de/chartverfolgung_summary/title/McCartney%2CPaul/Off+The+Ground/longplay musicline.de chartverfolgung. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "Hungarian Albums Chart". Mahasz.hu. http://mahasz.hu/m/?menu=slagerlistak&menu2=archivum&lista=top40&ev=1993&het=10&submit_=Keresés. Retrieved 2009-12-03.
- ^ a b "Hit Parade Italia - Gli album più venduti del 1993" (in Italian). hitparadeitalia.it. http://www.hitparadeitalia.it/hp_yenda/lpe1993.htm. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- ^ ポール・マッカートニー-リリース-ORICON STYLE-ミュージック "Highest position and charting weeks of Off the Ground by Paul McCartney" (in Japanese). oricon.co.jp. Oricon Style. http://www.oricon.co.jp/music/release/d/265074/1/ ポール・マッカートニー-リリース-ORICON STYLE-ミュージック. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "charts.org.nz Paul McCartney - Off The Ground". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. http://charts.org.nz/showitem.asp?interpret=Paul+McCartney&titel=Off+The+Ground&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "norwegiancharts.com Paul McCartney - Off The Ground". http://norwegiancharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Paul+McCartney&titel=Off+The+Ground&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "swedishcharts.com Paul McCartney - Off The Ground". Sverigetopplistan. http://swedishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Paul+McCartney&titel=Off+The+Ground&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "Paul McCartney - Off The Ground - hitparade.ch". http://hitparade.ch/showitem.asp?interpret=Paul+McCartney&titel=Off+The+Ground&cat=a. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "Paul McCartney UK Album Chart listings". UK Albums Chart. http://homepage1.nifty.com/tuty/after_beatles_paul_albumchartaction_uk.htm/. Retrieved 2011-08-01.
- ^ "allmusic ((( Flowers in the Dirt > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". allmusic.com. http://www.allmusic.com/album/flowers-in-the-dirt-r12659/charts-awards. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "Austriancharts.st - Jahreshitparade 1982". Hung Medien. http://austriancharts.at/1993_album.asp. Retrieved 2010-08-01.
- ^ "Austrian album certifications – Paul McCartney – Off the Ground" (in German). IFPI Austria. http://www.ifpi.at/?section=goldplatin. Enter Paul McCartney in the field Interpret. Enter Off the Ground in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- ^ "Canadian album certifications – Paul McCartney – Off the Ground". Music Canada. http://www.musiccanada.com/GPSearchResult.aspx?st=Off+the+Ground&sa=Paul+McCartney&smt=0.
- ^ "French album certifications – Paul McCartney – Off the Ground" (in French). InfoDisc. http://www.infodisc.fr/Certif_Album.php. Select PAUL MCCARTNEY and click OK
- ^ "Les Albums Or". infodisc.fr. SNEP. http://www.infodisc.fr/CDCertif_O.php?debut=1850. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "German album certifications – Paul McCartney – Off the Ground" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. http://www.musikindustrie.de/gold_platin_datenbank/?action=suche&strTitel=Off+the+Ground&strInterpret=Paul+McCartney&strTtArt=alben&strAwards=checked.
- ^ Oricon Album Chart Book: Complete Edition 1970-2005. Roppongi, Tokyo: Oricon Entertainment. 2006. ISBN 4871310779.
- ^ a-ビートルズ "- Yamachan Land (Archives of the Japanese record charts) - Albums Chart Daijiten - The Beatles" (in Japanese). 30 December 2007. http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~yamag/album/al_beatles.html a-ビートルズ. Retrieved 2011-08-31.
- ^ "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Paul McCartney; 'Off the Ground')". Hung Medien. http://www.swisscharts.com/search_certifications.asp?search=Paul+McCartney+Off+the+Ground.
- ^ "British album certifications – Paul McCartney – Off the Ground". British Phonographic Industry. http://www.bpi.co.uk/certifiedawards/search.aspx. Enter Off the Ground in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- ^ "American album certifications – Paul McCartney – Off the Ground". Recording Industry Association of America. http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?artist=%22Off+the+Ground%22. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
Paul McCartney Studio albums With Linda McCartney With Wings With The Fireman Live albums Compilations Experimental albums Classical albums ToursWings University Tour · Wings Over Europe Tour · Wings 1973 UK Tour · Wings Over the World tour · Wings UK Tour 1979 · The Paul McCartney World Tour · The New World Tour · The Concert for New York City · Driving USA Tour · Back In The U.S. Tour · Driving Mexico Tour · Driving Japan Tour · Back in the World tour · 2004 Summer Tour · The 'US' Tour · Summer Live '09 · Good Evening Europe Tour · Up and Coming Tour · On the Run Tour FilmographyA Hard Day's Night · Help! · Magical Mystery Tour · Yellow Submarine · Let It Be · James Paul McCartney (1973) · Wings Over the World (1979) · Concert for Kampuchea (1980) · Rockshow (1980) · Back To The Egg (1981) · Give My Regards to Broad Street (1984) · Get Back (1991) · Paul Is Live - The New World Tour (1993) · In the World Tonight (1997) · Live at the Cavern Club (1999) · Wingspan (2001) · Back in the U.S. (2002) · Paul McCartney in Red Square (2005) · Between Chaos and Creation (2005) · Chaos and Creation at Abbey Road (2005) · The Space Within US (2006) · The McCartney Years (2007) · Good Evening New York City (2009) · The Love We Make (2011) Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Off the Ground — Студийный альбом Пола Маккартни Дата выпуска 1 февраля 1993 Записан ноябрь 1991 июль 1992 Жанры рок Длительность 50:25 П … Википедия
Off the Ground — Álbum de Paul McCartney Publicación 1 de febrero de 1993 Grabación Noviembre de 1991 Julio de 1992 Género(s) Pop/Rock … Wikipedia Español
Off The Ground — Album par Paul McCartney Sortie 1er février 1993 Enregistrement novembre 1991 juillet 1992 Durée 50:25 Producteur(s) P … Wikipédia en Français
Off the Ground — Album par Paul McCartney Sortie 1er février 1993 Enregistrement novembre 1991 juillet 1992 Durée 50:25 Producteur … Wikipédia en Français
off the ground — adverb : in or as if in flight the story … dramatically never gets off the ground New Republic : off to a good start : under way difficult for his second party movement to get off the ground Time * * * off the ground Started, under way • • • … Useful english dictionary
off the ground — phrasal in or as if in flight ; off to a good start < the program never got off the ground > … New Collegiate Dictionary
off the ground — idi+inf into action or well under way: The play never got off the ground[/ex] … From formal English to slang
off the ground — See: GET OFF THE GROUND … Dictionary of American idioms
off the ground — See: GET OFF THE GROUND … Dictionary of American idioms
off\ the\ ground — See: get off the ground … Словарь американских идиом