- Nelson Mandela Children's Fund
Nelson Mandela Children's Fund Founder(s) Nelson Mandela Founded 1995 Location Johannesburg, South Africa Key people
ManagementMs Sibongile Mkhabel
Senior Programmes Manager: Adern Nkandela
Chief Executive Officer: Bongi Mkhabela
Board of Trustees
Judge Dikgang Moseneke
Chief Executive Officer:
Focus fundraising Motto "Changing the way society treats its children and youth" ____________________________
Non-profit organisation registration number: 004-638-NPO
The Nelson Mandela Children's Fund (NMCF) is a charitable organization founded by Nelson Mandela, based in South Africa. Its mission is to help individuals from birth to age 22, particularly orphans of the AIDS crisis.
In 1995, Mandela stopped to talk to street children in Cape Town, and was inspired to found organization. He remarked:
"We were driving back to the Presidency in Cape Town one cold winter's evening, when I saw a group of street children and stopped to talk to them." "The children asked me why I love them. This astounded me, and I asked them why they asked this, and they said that because every time I get money from overseas, I share it with them."
Although the organization continues to assist young homeless people and those living in poverty, the fund now focuses on the underpriviledged, orphans of the AIDS crisis, those affected by HIV and AIDS, and "child-headed households" in South Africa.
This is a community mobilization project designed to mitigate the effects of HIV and AIDS on youth. As of March 2010, the project has established 75 self-help groups comprising 1,335. These groups support 2,152 children in 2,328 households. The project assisted with the establishment of small, individual or group businesses.
Project partners and associates
- Championing Children
- Far North Community Care and Development
- Home Intervention – Hearing and Language Opportunities Parent Education Services (HI HOPES)
- Kidz Radio Project
- Regional Psychosocial Support Initiative (REPSSI)
- Rivoni Society For The Blind
- Siyakhathala Caring Network
- Sparrow Schools
- Special Olympics South Africa
- Youth Connection Project
Date Name Location Funds raised 2010 Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund UK Annual Gala Dinner Thomas Lord Suite at Lords Cricket Ground, London 2010 Stanley Sagov Benefit Boston
Contributors who have donated to the fund include:
- In 2008, Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg of Norway pledged US$1 million.
- 2010, John Travolta, $10,000
- Cathy O'Dowd, mountaineer, helped raise R 250,000.
- Michael Flatley
- Michael Jackson via "Michael Jackson & Friends" benefit concerts]
- 2009: 91,870,000 rand ($12,746,661 USD)
- 2010: 64,346,000 rand ($8,925,923USD)
The fund has offices in countries around the world, including:
- United Kingdom
- United States
South African Arms Deal
- Further information: South African Arms Deal#Bribery allegations
- Further information: Naomi Campbell#Diamonds from Charles Taylor
In 1997, model Naomi Campbell donated blood diamonds to the charity. In 2010, trustee and former head of the fund Jeremy Ractliffe resigned from the board after confessing that he had kept the diamonds.
- ^ a b c d e Mandela focuses on Aids orphans - SouthAfrica.info
- ^ a b Nelson Mandela Children's Fund
- ^ Nelson Mandela Children's Fund
- ^ Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund UK dinner sold out | Fab South African Stuff
- ^ Nelson Mandela Children's Fund Benefit with Stanley Sagov at Regattabar > Boston Events List
- ^ http://www.norway.org.za/NR/rdonlyres/4692443739FD4D8E86BF714F3B031750/110081/NMCFContract.pdf
- ^ Travolta Donates to Nelson Mandela Children's Fund - ABC News
- ^ Support the Nelson Mandela Children's Fund
- ^ The Mandela Children's Fund - Michael Flatley at the Celtic Cafe
- ^ http://www.nelsonmandelachildrensfund.com/userDownloads/DOC1287747504.pdf
- ^ About the Program « Nelson Mandela Children's Fund (Canada)
- ^ Politics.za : De Lille: Nelson Mandela Children's Fund Received Bribe Money
- ^ Arms firm 'paid ANC' - Times LIVE
- ^ Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund Trustee Resigned
- ^ Mandela Children’s Fund ex-trustee face criminal charges on supermodel Campbell alleged blood diamonds gift | ::USAfricaonline.com
- ^ Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund Statement Over former CEO receipt of Rough Diamonds from Supermodel Naomi Cambell,Allegedly sourced from Liberian President Charles Taylor | www...
International human rights organisations and institutions Standard organizations International
bodiesEuropean Union · Council of Europe · Organisation of American States (OAS) · UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) · UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) · International Labour Organization (ILO) · World Health Organization (WHO) · UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) · Joint UN Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) · UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UNDESA) · Commission on the Status of Women (CSW) · UN Population Fund (UNFPA) · UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) · UN Development Fund for Women (UNIFEM) · UN Development Programme (UNDP) · Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO) · UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nelson Mandela — Mandela redirects here. For other uses, see Mandela (disambiguation). His Excellency Nelson Mandela OM AC CC OJ … Wikipedia
Nelson Mandela Invitational — The Nelson Mandela Invitational was a charity golf tournament conceptualised by Marc Player, CEO of Black Knight International, which took place annually in South Africa from 2000 until 2006. It was named in honor of former South African… … Wikipedia
Nelson Mandela — « Mandela » redirige ici. Pour les autres significations, voir Mandela (homonymie). Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela, en 2008 … Wikipédia en Français
Nelson Mandela — Para otros usos de este término, véase Mandela (Italia). Nelson Mandela … Wikipedia Español
Nelson Mandela 70th Birthday Tribute — International opposition to apartheid in South Africa Campaigns Academic boycott · Sporting boycott Disinvestment ·Constructive engagement Instruments and legislation … Wikipedia
United Nations Children's Fund — Unicef Fonds des Nations unies pour l enfance Organe de l ONU Type d organisation Fonds de l ONU Acronymes UNICEF Chef Directrice exécutive … Wikipédia en Français
Mandela nelson — Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela 10e président de la République d Afrique du Sud … Wikipédia en Français
Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela — Nelson Mandela Nelson Mandela 10e président de la République d Afrique du Sud … Wikipédia en Français
Nelson Muntz — The Simpsons character Nelson Muntz Gender Male J … Wikipedia
United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund — Unicef Fonds des Nations unies pour l enfance Organe de l ONU Type d organisation Fonds de l ONU Acronymes UNICEF Chef Directrice exécutive … Wikipédia en Français