- Old City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Old City (sometimes spelled "Olde City") is a neighborhood in Center City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States, in the area near e Delaware River where William Penn and the Quakers first settled. To tourists, it is best known as the site of Independence Hall and its encompassing Independence National Historical Park, Elfreth's Alley, the Betsy Ross House, and many of Philadelphia's other historic sites.
The Old City District occupies several blocks between Front and Sixth Streets, bounded by Vine Street to the north and Walnut Street to the south. The Philadelphia Almanac and Citizens' Manual gives a larger set of boundaries to the Old City area, defined as the area within Spring Garden Street, 4th Street, the Delaware River, and Walnut Street. The Old City Redevelopment Area is bound by Vine Street, the Delaware River, Lombard Street and 7th Street.
The Old City Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.Old City Historic District
Location: Old city area including parts of Washington Square East Development Area and Franklin Square East Development Area, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Coordinates: Coordinates: Area: 75 acres (30 ha) Architect: Multiple Architectural style: Greek Revival, Italianate Governing body: National Park Service NRHP Reference#: 72000093 Added to NRHP: May 5, 1972
It is one of the city's popular nightlife destinations, with many lounges, dive bars, and quality restaurants mostly along the three blocks from 3rd and Market streets to Front and Chestnut streets. The popular monthly First Friday event features open houses by many neighborhood art/design galleries and clothing boutiques. The 3rd Street Corridor, between Market Street and Vine Street, is home to many locally owned independent businesses. These art, design and fashion ventures make Old City a sought after destination for culture and commerce enjoyed locally, nationally and internationally. Landmark Theatres operates three Ritz movie theaters in the area, specializing in art films.
Old City is the Philadelphia location for many foreign consulates to the U.S. The Consulate-General of Panama in Philadelphia is located in Suite 1 at 124 Chestnut Street. The Consulate-General of Italy in Philadelphia is located in the 1026 Public Ledger Building at 150 South Independence Mall West. The Consulate of Mexico in Philadelphia is located in Suite 310 at 111 South Independence Mall East. The Consulate-General of the Dominican Republic in Philadelphia was located in Suite 216 in the Lafayette Building at 437 Chestnut Street; it closed on November 7, 2005.
Old City children are assigned to schools in the School District of Philadelphia.
- Independence National Historical Park
- Old City Special Services District of Philadelphia
- Girard Fountain Park
- ^ Old City District. Old City District (Map). http://www.oldcitydistrict.org/pdf/ocdmap.pdf. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- ^ "Philadelphia Neighborhoods and Place Names, L-P." City of Philadelphia. Accessed November 9, 2008.
- ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13. http://nrhp.focus.nps.gov/natreg/docs/All_Data.html.
- ^ "Panamanian Consulates in the U.S." Embassy of Panama in Washington D.C. Retrieved on February 2, 2009.
- ^ "Welcome to the web site of the Consulate General of Italy in Philadelphia." Consulate-General of Italy in Philadelphia. Retrieved on February 1, 2009.
- ^ "Contactenos." Consulate of Mexico in Philadelphia. Retrieved on February 1, 2009.
- ^ "Consulate Offices in the U.S." Embassy of the Dominican Republic in Washington, DC. Retrieved on February 1, 2009.
- ^ "DR to close four consulates in the USA." Dominican Today. November 8, 2005. Retrieved on February 1, 2009.
- ^ McCall map, Center City Schools, [http://www.phila.gov/phils/Docs/otherinfo/pname2.htm More info
- ^ Where the Graduates Go." McCall School. Retrieved on November 9, 2008.
- ^ "Independence Branch." Free Library of Philadelphia. Retrieved on January 20, 2009.
- Old City District
- Old City Civic Association
- "A Glimpse into the History of the 401 Block of Arch Street, Philadelphia." Retrieved 22 October 2007.
- Old City travel guide from Wikitravel
U.S. National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania Topics Lists by countyAdams • Allegheny • Armstrong • Beaver • Bedford • Berks • Blair • Bradford • Bucks • Butler • Cambria • Cameron • Carbon • Centre • Chester: (East | North | South) • Clarion • Clearfield • Clinton • Columbia • Crawford • Cumberland • Dauphin • Delaware • Elk • Erie • Fayette • Forest • Franklin • Fulton • Greene • Huntingdon • Indiana • Jefferson • Juniata • Lackawanna • Lancaster • Lawrence • Lebanon • Lehigh • Luzerne • Lycoming • McKean • Mercer • Mifflin • Monroe • Montgomery • Montour • Northampton • Northumberland • Perry • Philadelphia • Pike • Potter • Schuylkill • Snyder • Somerset • Sullivan • Susquehanna • Tioga • Union • Venango • Warren • Washington • Wayne • Westmoreland • Wyoming • York Lists by city Other listsCategory:National Register of Historic Places in Pennsylvania • Portal:National Register of Historic Places Neighborhoods of the Center City section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Old City — may refer to: Neighborhoods Old City (Baku), Azerbaijan Old City (Jaffa) Old City (Jerusalem) Old City (Hyderabad), Pakistan Old City Multan, Pakistan Old City (Knoxville), Tennessee, United States Old City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United… … Wikipedia
Old City Special Services District of Philadelphia — Old City SSD logo Carpenters Hall in Old City … Wikipedia
Old City Hall (Philadelphia) — Old City Hall U.S. Historic District Contributing Property … Wikipedia
Old City Hall — can refer to: Canada Old City Hall (Ottawa) Old City Hall (Toronto) United States District of Columbia City Hall, Washington, D.C., also known as Old City Hall Old City Hall and Engine House, Annapolis, Maryland Old City Hall (Bellingham,… … Wikipedia
Old City Hall (Boston) — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
Market East, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania — PSFS Building … Wikipedia
Port Richmond, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania — Port Richmond, also referred to as simply Richmond, is a neighborhood in the Near Northeast section of the United States city Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is notable for its extremely large Polish immigrant and Polish American community. The… … Wikipedia
Northern Liberties, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania — Northern Liberties Historic District U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. Historic district … Wikipedia
Penn Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania — Coordinates: 39°57′13.442″N 75°10′9.8040″W / 39.95373389°N 75.16939°W / 39.95373389; 75.16939 … Wikipedia
Museum District, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania — The Philadelphia Museum of Art (upper, beige color) and the Franklin Institute, (lower, grey color) near the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philadelphia. The Parkway Museums District, also known as the Art Museum District or simply the The Parkway … Wikipedia