- Norwich Electric Tramways
Norwich Electric Tramways Locale England Dates of operation 1900–1935 Track gauge 3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm) Length 15.16 miles (24.40 km) Headquarters Norwich
Work started in June 1898 and first routes opened in July 1900. The network was essentially complete and fully operational by the end of 1901, but there were minor additions and changes in 1918 and 1919.
The network was radial, with routes based around the hub in Orford Place TG 23046 08327. From Orford Place the lines ran along:
- Haymarket, Gentleman's Walk, Market Place, St Giles Street, Earlham Road to a terminus at the entrance to Norwich cemetery TG 21266 08541
- Castle Meadow, Bank Plain, Redwell Street, St Andrews Street, Charing Cross, St Benedicts Street, Dereham Road to a terminus at the junction with Merton Road TG 21098 09234
- Castle Meadow, Bank Plain, Redwell Street, St Andrews Street, Charing Cross, St Benedicts Street, Barn Road, Norwich City railway station, Station Road, Oak Street, Sussex Street, St Augustine Street, Aylsham Road to a terminus at the junction with Berners Street TG 22267 10360
- Castle Meadow, Upper King Street, Tombland, Wensum Street, Fyebridge Street, Magdalen Street, Magdalen Road, Denmark Road to the depot in Silver Road at TG 23494 10308.
- Castle Meadow, Prince of Wales Road, Norwich Thorpe railway station, Riverside Road, Bishopbridge Road, Gurney Road (past Britannia Barracks) to a terminus on Mousehold Heath at TG 24531 10229. A later extension across Mousehold Heath to a munitions factory enabled a goods service between the factory and the exchange sidings at Norwich Thorpe station.
- Castle Meadow, Prince of Wales Road, Norwich Thorpe railway station, Thorpe Road to a terminus at TG 24950 08303
- Red Lion Street, St Stephens Street, Norwich Victoria railway station, Queens Road, Bracondale to a terminus for Trowse railway station at TG 24223 07160
- Red Lion Street, St Stephens Street, Norwich Victoria railway station, Queens Road, City Road, Long John Road to a terminus at TG 23450 06940
- Red Lion Street, St Stephens Street, Norwich Victoria railway station, St Stephens Road, Newmarket Road to a terminus at its junction with Unthank Road at TG 20496 06438
- Haymarket, Gentleman's Walk, Market Place, St Giles Street, Unthank Road to a terminus at its junction with Mile End Road at TG 21355 0428
There were also some lines that were disbanded prior to 1924:
- Chapel Field Road
- King Street
- Heigham Road
There were some lines used for access only:
- Chapel Field North, Theatre Street, Rampant Horse Street
- Magpie Road
The fleet, in a livery of maroon and ivory, initially consisted of:
In 1933 the Eastern Counties Omnibus Company bought the tramway system and began the process of shutting it down and replacing it with motor buses. The last tram route to close, in 1935, was Newmarket Road to Cavalry Barracks.
- A Norwich Electric Tramways cap badge.
- A Norwich Electric Tramways button.
- Norwich Electric Tramways uniformed conductor and motorman, and cap badge.
- Webpage with map and photographs of Norwich Electric Tramways
- Former tram depot building, which was colocated with the tram sheds.
This UK Tram-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.