- Indian Institute of Public Administration
The Indian Institute of Public Administration Established 1954 Type Public Chairman T. N. Chaturvedi President Mohammad Hamid Ansari Location New Delhi, ND, IN Website www.iipa.org.in
The Indian Institute of Public Administration (IIPA), is a premier public policy school autonomous institution in India for public administration studies and one of the major social science resources in India.
IIPA was inaugurated on 29 March 1954 by 1st Prime Minister of India Jawaharlal Nehru. The IIPA is an autonomous body under the Registration of Societies Act. Its establishment was an outcome of a survey of public administration in the country carried out in 1953 by Paul Henson Appleby, the renowned Professor of Public Administration and consultant to Ford Foundation.
The purpose of establishing this Institute was to undertake such academic activities as would enhance the managerial capabilities and leadership qualities of the executives in the government and other public service organization.
Centers and Institutes
- Center for Economic Analysis and Financial Management.
- Center for Human Resource Development and Behavioral Studies.
- Center for Management Studies and Public Enterprises.
- Center for Public Policy, Planning and Development Studies.
- Center for Rural Development Administration and Panchayati Raj.
- Center for Social Welfare Administration and Administration of Justice.
- Center for Urban Studies.
- Center for Consumer Studies.
- Center for Climate Change, Environment and Drought Environment.
- Center for Ethics in Governance.
- Centre for Learning in ICT & e-Governance.
- to undertake, organize and facilitate study courses, lectures and conferences and research in matters relating to the machinery of government and public administration.
- to provide and promote for the study of economic and political science and public administration with special reference to the machinery of government and public administration and for educational purposes incidental thereto.
- to manage information services to facilitate the study of spreading information and public administration in regard thereto, and
- to undertake and provide for the publication of research papers and of journals and books.
Activities Schedule by the Institute are organized in four inter-related areas of Research, Advisory, Consultancy Services and Training and Dissemination of Information. While the Institute undertakes research studies on substantive issues at its own initiative, it conducts, research in specific areas of practical importance, which are normally sponsored by the Government and national/ international organizations. Institute also offers consultancy services in operational areas to the Public Sector Undertakings and Government. Institute conducts a good number of short-duration and long training programmes. Besides two organs Indian Journal of Public Administration and Nagarlok, the Institute also publishes monthly Newsletter and a bibliographic journal Documentation in Public Administration .
Besides the Publications wing of the Institute has published over 250 books over the last fifty years. About 60 of these publications are available presently. Recently it has started another half yearly journal in Hindi named 'Lok Prashasan', Prof S.N. Mishra is Editor of Hindi journal, Dr. S.L. Goel is Editor of IJPA, Mr. Sunil Dutt is Assistant Editor.
The Advanced Professional Programme in Public Administration (APPPA) is a nine-month education cum training programme organized every year by the Indian Institute of Public Administration, New Delhi under the sponsorship of the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions of the Government of India.
The aim of the programme is to prepare the participants to make a greater contribution towards better governance which is service first to the people, particularly, the downtrodden and the deprived, and to inculcate and strengthen leadership qualities in civil service. The programme is designed keeping in view the training needs of middle and senior level civil service officers of All-India and Central Services, and State Governments.
The APPPA is a postgraduate programme. It provides the participants with basic knowledge of social sciences, equips them with management skills and techniques, generates an awareness of the social, political and economic environment of administration; promotes learning through field studies and group efforts, encourages specialized study in electives areas chosen by the participants.
More than 765 officers, including those from the armed forces, administrators of other developing countries and teachers of Indian Universities have participated in the programme.
The Indian Institute of Public Administration is one of the major social science resources in India. It is a depository library for the publications of the World Bank and has been accorded depository library status for the publications of the International Monetary Fund. The World Bank has recently set up a state-of-the-art Information Kiosk in the Library to facilitate on-line access to the knowledge edge[clarification needed] portals of the Bank and its associate institutions. It has a collection of about 200,000 volumes of books and periodicals and receives 350 current periodicals for the study of public administration and economic and political science with special reference to public administration and the machinery of government and for educational purposes incidental thereto. It is therefore one of the largest Libraries on Social Sciences in Asia and the largest in India.
- Electronic Databases
- Institutional Repositories
- Improving Access (open_url, metasearch, metadata harvesting, etc.)
- Library Systems (integrated systems, automated systems, circulation systems)
- M-Libraries (mobile access to library resources – cell phones, PDAs, mp3 players, etc)
- Online Library Card Registration and e-Card Services
Open Access e-Resources
- Registry of Open Access Repositories
- OAISTER (Open Archives Initiative)
- Directory of open access journals
- Resource Discovery Network
- J-Gate journals
- Directory of Open Access Repositories
- Rare Books on India
- Digital Library of India
- ^ "Paul Henson Appleby Papers". http://www.lib.grin.edu/collections/specialcollections/Manuscripts/findingaids/applebymss.html.
- ^ "Road named after Appleby". The Hindu. India. 16 October 2003. http://www.hindu.com/2003/10/16/stories/2003101610270400.htm.
- ^ "State chief secy is IIPA chairman". The Times of India. India. 19 June 2009. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Goa/State-chief-secy-is-IIPA-chairman/articleshow/4673407.cms.
- ^ "IIPA’s role sought for consumer welfare". The Financial Express. 25 December 2004. http://www.financialexpress.com/news/iipas-role-sought-for-consumer-welfare/120746/.
State Public Administration institutes in India
- Haryana Institute of Public Administration
- Sardar Patel Institute of Public Administration
- Shri Krishna Institute of Public Administration
- Harish Chandra Mathur Rajasthan State Institute of Public Administration (HCMRIPA),Jaipur
- Mahatama Gandhi State Institute of Public Administration, Punjab
- Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration(LBSNAA),Mussoorie
- National Institute of Educational Planning and Administration (NIEPA)
- National Institutes of India
- Training Division, Department of Personnel & Training, Government of India
- National Archives of India
- Government of India Ministries, Departments and other Agencies
- State Institute of Public Administration and Rural Development (SIPARD),Tripura
- Anna Institute of Management
- Administrative Training Institute
- RCVP Noronha Academy of Administration and Management, Bhopal
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Institute of Public Administration — may refer to: European Institute of Public Administration Indian Institute of Public Administration Institute of Public Administration (Ireland) HCM Rajasthan State Institute of Public Administration National Institute of Public Administration… … Wikipedia
HCM Rajasthan State Institute of Public Administration — is a state level training institute of the Government of Rajasthan.It is situated in Jaipur. The principle objective to contribute for the improvementof state administration through training, system research and management consultancy and to… … Wikipedia
Public administration — can be broadly described as the development, implementation and study of branches of government policy. Public administration is linked to pursuing the public good by enhancing civil society and social justice. Though public administration has… … Wikipedia
public administration — 1. the implementation of public policy, largely by the executive branch. 2. a field of study preparing persons for careers in such work. * * * Introduction the implementation of government policies. Today public administration is often… … Universalium
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay — Motto ज्ञानं परमं ध्येयम् (jñānaṁ paramaṁ dhyeyam) (Sanskrit) Motto in English Knowledge is the Supreme Goal Estab … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi — Established 1961 Type Education and research institution Director … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Management Kozhikode — Motto Yogah Karmasu Kaushalam (Sanskrit) from the Gita 2:50 Motto in English Diligence leads to Excellence Established … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur — Infobox University name = Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur motto = hi. योगः कर्मसु कौशलम् ( hi. Yoga Karmasu Kaushālam ) mottoeng = Perfection in action is Yoga established = 1951 type = Education and Research Institution director =… … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee — Infobox University name = Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee motto = Shramam Vina Na Kimapi Saadhyam mottoeng = No Achievement Is Possible Without Hard Work established = 1847 Director = S.C.Saxena type = Public city = Roorkee state =… … Wikipedia
Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad — coord|23|1|54.29|N|72|32|10.09|E|type:edu|display=title Infobox University name = Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad established = 1961 type = Education and Research Institution director = Prof. Samir Barua [cite web | url=… … Wikipedia