- Operation Clean-up
Operation Clean-up Part of Sectarian violence in Pakistan Date 19 June 1992 − 16 August 1994 Location Karachi Sindh Province, Pakistan Belligerents PA Rangers
Commanders and leaders LGen Naseer Akhtar
MGen Safdar Ali Khan
BGen Imtiaz Ahmed
Units involved 25th Mechanized Division of V Corps
Sindh Police Force
The Operation Clean-up (also known as Operation Blue Fox) was a military operation led by Pakistan Army and the Army Rangers under the command of Brigadier Imtiaz Ahmed in Karachi, Pakistan that lasted from 1992−1994. The claimed goal of the operation was to 'cleanse' the city of "anti-social" elements. The operation initiated on 19 June 1992 under the command of then-DG of Intelligence Bureau, Brigadier Imtiaz Ahmad. The main target of the operation was the Mohajir Qaumi Movement (now renamed Muttahida Qaumi Movement) on the drummed up charges of the Jinnahpur Conspiracy masterminded by the then Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
The operation took place during Nawaz Sharif's first term as the Prime Minister of Pakistan. The period is regarded as the bloodiest period in Karachi's history, with thousands killed or gone missing in the fighting. Although 14 years have passed since the alleged arrest or disappearance of MQM workers, families of the missing people are still hopeful after registering the cases in the Supreme Court of Pakistan.
On 19 May 1992, Prime minister Nawaz Sharif met Chief minister of Sindh Province Muzaffar Hussain Shah, Home Minister Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, Chief of Army Staff General Asif Nawaz, Colonel Commandant of V Corps Lieutenant-General Naseer Akhtar, Director-General Army Rangers Major-General Safdar Ali Khan and other civilian and military officials at General Headquarters (GHQ) Rawalpindi, Punjab, to decide on the modalities of Operation Clean-up in Sindh; operation to be carried out by the Army Rangers with full backing by the Army.
- ^ Qadir, Abdul. "Chronology of the Events (1991-2006)". Jang. http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/spedition/sp_news15/p32.htm. Retrieved 2009-08-08.
- ^ Jinnah Pur map was a drama, confesses ex-official thearynews.com
- ^ "Pakistan: Human rights crisis in Karachi". Amnesty International. 1996-02-01. http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/ENGASA330011996?open&of=ENG-PAK. Retrieved 2009-07-26. [dead link]
- ^ 
- ^ http://www.pakistanihistory.com/92.htm
- ^ MQM shifts blame for 1992 operation from military to Nawaz, The News (Pakistan), 2 September 2009
- Rise of the MQM in Pakistan: Politics of Ethnic Mobilization, Farhat Haq, Asian Survey, Vol. 35, No. 11 (Nov., 1995), pp. 990–1004, University of California Press
- Ethnicity and State Power in Pakistan: The Karachi Crisis, Moonis Ahmar, Asian Survey, Vol. 36, No. 10 (Oct., 1996), pp. 1031–1048, Published by: University of California Press
- A History of Pakistan and its Origins, pg 35, Christophe Jaffrelot
- Beyond this Battle of Karachi, Eqbal Ahmed, Dawn, 17 August 1995
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Operation Clean Government — is a nonpartisan, nonprofit citizens lobby and advocacy organization. The organization was founded in 1993 by Bruce R. Lang and others through the union of three Rhode Island good government groups (Operation Clean Sweep, Rhode Island… … Wikipedia
Operation Clean The Nation — (OCN) oder auch lokal bekannt als Set Settal oder Setal ist ein Aktionstag im westafrikanischen Staat Gambia. Er wird von der National Environment Agency (NEA), der nationalen Umweltbehörde, ausgerufen, um zur Verbesserung des Müll Problems… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Operation Clean Hands — Mani pulite (deutsch Saubere Hände, sinngemäß Weiße Weste) war der Name umfangreicher juristischer Untersuchungen gegen Korruption, Amtsmissbrauch und illegale Parteifinanzierung auf politischer Ebene in Italien Anfang und Mitte der 90er Jahre.… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Clean sweep — may refer to: Clean Sweep, an American television series clean sweep (naval), a naval expression meaning a successful mission Clean Sweep, a fictional character in the G.I. Joe universe Clean Sweep (The Hardy Boys), a Hardy Boys novel Operation… … Wikipedia
Clean Elections Rhode Island — is a non profit group dedicated to passing clean elections in the state of Rhode Island. Contents 1 Clean Elections 2 Rhode Island Clean Elections Act 3 Steering Committee 4 … Wikipedia
Operation Murambatsvina — (English: Operation Drive Out Rubbish), also officially known as Operation Restore Order, is a large scale Zimbabwean government campaign to forcibly clear slum areas across the country. The campaign started in 2005 and according to United… … Wikipedia
Operation FREE — Founded 2009 Location Washington, D.C. Motto Secure America with Renewable Energy. Website Operation Fre … Wikipedia
Operation Tomodachi — トモダチ作戦 Part of Response to 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami … Wikipedia
Operation Queensland Flood Assist — Part of 2010–2011 Queensland floods … Wikipedia
Operation Roller Coaster — Country United States Test site Nellis Air Force Range Period 1963 Number of tests 4 … Wikipedia