- The King Is Dead (Family Guy)
:"This article discusses the episode of
Family Guy. For the phrase itself, see The King is dead. Long live the King!. For the Ellery Queennovel, see The King is Dead (novel)." Infobox Television episode
Title =The King is Dead
Series =Family Guy
Caption =Peter's interpretation of "The King and I."
March 28, 2000
Writer =Craig Hoffman
Director =Monte Young
Episode list =
List of Family Guy episodes
Season list = Infobox Family Guy Season 2
Death Is a Bitch
I Am Peter, Hear Me Roar__NOTOC__"The King Is Dead" is an episode from the FOX animated series " Family Guy". It is the 14th episode of " Family Guy" to be aired. It was the last episode produced for season one but aired in season two.
Lois is named director of the Quahog Players theater group production, and she decides to produce "
The King and I". Joe, despite being paraplegic, is named choreographer. Lois names Peter producer in the hopes of keeping him out of the way, but Peter gradually takes over, radically changing the play. He gets the play mentioned on the news by casting newscaster Diane Simmons as Anna, trying his best to make the play perfect for Lois and him.
Peter also adds material inspired by "
The Jerry Springer Show" and " Flashdance". Later Lois finds everyone discussing on a "brilliant" idea Peter has had, the Siamese children (being children from Siam) aren't children, but aliens. Everyone agrees to the idea, but Lois hates it. It then turns out that Peter's idea's for the play are actually helping its popularity, in fact, the play becomes sold out. Instead of cheering like everyone else, Lois quits out of extreme anger over Peter and leaves him as the director. Peter's constant changes frustrate Diane into quitting, so he plays Anna himself. Lois plans on making Peter miserable by making changes to everything that comes to her mind, starting with breakfast, adding fish and undone eggs.
Peter’s version of "The King and I" depicts a post-apocalyptic future set in the ruined world of 2015 AD after the ninth nuclear world war. The world "is a grim future filled with lots of explosions and partial nudity", ruled by an oppressive king, played by Brian. ANNA is an "Automaton Nuclear Neo-human Android", a
robot ninjafrom the planet Englandsent to rid the world of the king's tyranny. ANNA, not confused by the bikini-clad Siamese "children's" (actually women) all-female sex orgy, kung fufights with the king and defeats him, changing Siam into the United States of America.
Lois attended the premiere just to see Peter get humiliated for ruining the story but, to her astonishment, anger, disappointment and disbelief, the show is a hit. Then she insults the audience for applauding the show, claiming that the show is an example of pure trash. She seemingly embarrasses Peter, but Peter then lets out an astonishingly long
farton stage that everyone hears, and they clap again, completely ignoring Lois, and making Peter one of the most popular people in Quahog. Later, Peter comes back from a celebration party, but thanks Lois for giving him the chance to express himself and making the show possible (as if she had quit to make him popular, though it is clear that she did this to get him infamous). Lois, feeling a bit guilty for the way she acted, admits she was not supportive of Peter's work, and also admits that the show must have been good in the way that people found it entertaining. Peter is touched by her words and promises to get her the job as director again next year, then immediately asks, "Hey, were you there when I farted?"
* This is the last episode (going by production order) in which
Lacey Chabertprovides the voice of Meg.
* Brian mentions Meg’s ability to do bird calls, which is demonstrated in the episode "
A Picture Is Worth a 1,000 Bucks."
* This episode reveals Diane Simmons's maiden name, Diane Seidelman.
William Shatnershows up to opening night, even though he was presumably killed when Meg ran him over in the episode " I Never Met the Dead Man." He is seen giving a standing ovation in the front row, next to where the Griffins are seated.
* Peter claims that he has "soul and passion that only comes with hundreds of years of black oppression." It’s notable that he .
*Peter once again assumes the role of A.N.N.A. in "
Family Guy Video Game!".
*Peter's fart at the end of the episode has been described by
Seth MacFarlaneas "the longest fart in television history".
*Guillermo from the episode
A Hero Sits Next Dooris in the audience sitting next to Mr. Weed.
* Stewie mistakes the semen hanging from Ted's (Ben Stiller) ear as gel, a reference from
There's Something about Mary.
* Peter's replacing Loretta with a star to further the publicity is a subtle nod to "
The Bad and The Beautiful"Fact|date=September 2008, in which the producer replaces his director to further his own goals.
* Peter’s toy, Mr.
ZucchiniHead, is a parody of Mr. Potato Head.
* While rehearsing for the play Diane Simmons is seen dancing frantically in 1980s leg warmers to upbeat music, a reference to the 1983 film "
Flashdance". Peter describes her character as being a "steel town girl on a Saturday night, lookin' for the fight of her life", referring to the lyrics of the song "Maniac" from the same movie.
* During Peter's daydream about being a "big Hollywood producer," wearing a
Star of David, Peter proclaims "I'm the king of the world!" before falling off a cliff. The line is a reference to Leonardo DiCaprio's line in the movie "Titanic".
* When auditioning for the play, Brian sings “If Ever I Would Leave You” from the musical "Camelot".
* Stewie auditions with the “winter of our discontent” soliloquy from
Shakespeare’s "Richard III", which he will repeat again in the beginning of “ And the Wiener Is...." He balls up his blanket and stuffs it into his shirt to give the illusion of a humpback, for which Richard III was notorious.
* Stewie “quotes” “first lady of the American stage”
Helen Hayesin telling Lois “I’m going to kill you.” This is not an actual quote from Hayes. This is similar to that of Brian in Lovewhere he states that "Rodgers" rhymes with "eliminate".
* Peter gives an off-key rendition of the theme song of children’s television series "Land of the Lost".
* A cutaway shows a writing team of monkeys writing Shakespeare’s "
Romeo and Juliet," a reference to the infinite monkey theorem.
* One monkey says, "No, they did that on last week's Marlowe," a reference to Shakespeare's rival playwright,
* The theatre marquee says “A Peter Griffin Joint,” a nod to director
Spike Lee, whose films are credited as “A Spike Lee Joint.”
* Before the play, Brian rehearses lyrics to “
Sussudio” by Phil Collins.
Sean Penn’s destruction of the camera is a reference to his assault of a paparazzo.
* Peter calls Loretta's (after she has been replaced by Diane Simmons as Anna) character "Miss Thing", a supposedly African-American play on the actual character Lady Thiang.
backdropof the stage set and Peter's narration placing of the events of the play in the year 2019 refer to " Blade Runner".
* Callaghan, Steve. “The King Is Dead.” "Family Guy: The Official Episode Guide Seasons 1–3". New York: HarperCollins, 2005. 65–67.
* Delarte, Alonso. “Nitpicking Family Guy: Season 2.” "Bob’s Poetry Magazine" May 2005: 13–14. [http://bobspoetry.com/Bobs02My.pdf http://bobspoetry.com/Bobs02My.pdf]
*FGwiki|The King Is Dead
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The King is Dead — No debe confundirse con El rey ha muerto, viva el rey. The King Is Dead Episodio de Padre de Familia Título El rey ha muerto (España) El rey está muerto (Hispanoamérica) Episodio nº 7 Tempor … Wikipedia Español
Family Guy — Family Guy … Wikipedia
Family Guy — Les Griffin Les Griffin Titre original Family Guy Genre Série d animation Créateur(s) Seth MacFarlane Musique Ron Jones, Walter Murphy Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
The King’s Speech — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel The King’s Speech Produktionsland Großbritannien, USA … Deutsch Wikipedia
The King of Queens — From left to right: Stiller, James, and Remini Format Sitcom Created by … Wikipedia
The King Of Pop — Michael Jackson Pour les articles homonymes, voir Jackson … Wikipédia en Français
The King of Pop — Michael Jackson Pour les articles homonymes, voir Jackson … Wikipédia en Français
List of Family Guy characters — The Griffin family Back: Lois, Peter, Meg, and Chris; Front: Brian and Stewie These are characters from the animated American TV series Family Guy. Characters are only listed once, normally under the first applicable subsection in the list; very… … Wikipedia
Criticism of Family Guy — Series creator and executive producer Seth MacFarlane. The American animated sitcom Family Guy has been the target of numerous complaints concerning taste and indecency. Parents Television Council has expressed moral opposition to th … Wikipedia
Portal:Family Guy — Wikipedia portals: Culture Geography Health History Mathematics Natural sciences People Philosophy Religion Society Technology … Wikipedia