- Mike Moore
The Right Honourable
name=Michael Kenneth Moore
honorific-suffix = ONZ
Prime Minister of New Zealand
4 September 1990
2 November 1990
monarch= Elizabeth II
governor-general=Sir Paul Reeves
order2=26th Leader of the Opposition
2 November 1990
1 December 1993
Director-General of the World Trade Organization
1 September 1999
1 September 2002
birth_date=Birth date and age|1949|1|28|df=yes
Whakatane, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
constituency= Eden, Christchurch North
Michael Kenneth Moore ONZ (known as Mike Moore, born
28 January 1949) is a politicianfrom New Zealandwho has served both as Prime Minister of New Zealandand Director-General of the World Trade Organization.
Moore was born in Whakatane, New Zealand in 1949. He was raised in
Kawakawaand educated at the Bay of Islands Collegeand Dilworth School. After leaving school he first worked as a labourer and then a printer. He became an active trade unionist and at the age of 17 was elected to the Auckland Trades Council. He became the first youth representative on the Labour Party executive and was Vice-president of the International Union of Socialist Youth for two consecutive terms. [Traue, J. E., 'Who's Who in New Zealand' A.H. & A.W. Reed 1978 ISBN 0 589 01113 8] [http://www.primeminister.govt.nz/oldpms/1990moore.html Prime Minister of New Zealand - Past Prime Ministers: Mike Moore] ] [http://www.iusy.org International Union of Socialist Youth (Veterans)] ]
Member of Parliament
Moore began his parliamentary career when elected as the MP for Eden in 1972, becoming the youngest Member of Parliament ever elected. In 1978 he moved to Christchurch and was elected MP for the north Christchurch electorate, then known as Papanui. He held the seat until 1999: as Papanui until 1984, as Christchurch North until 1996, and as Waimakariri thereafter.
As a government minister he has held numerous portfolios, becoming best known in his role as Overseas Trade Minister with involvement in the GATT negotiations. In 1987 he also became Minister of External Relations and in 1988 Deputy Minister of Finance. In 1990 he became leader of the Labour Party and consequently Prime Minister. The Labour government was not returned to power in the next general election. He led the Official Opposition until 1993 and was spokesperson on Foreign Affairs and Trade until 1999. He strongly considered forming a break-away party for the 1996 MMP election but decided against it.
In 1998 he ran for the post of Director-General of the World Trade Organisation and was elected to this position on 22 July 1999. He took up the post on the 1st of September 1999. [http://www.gfc2007.org/Content/Pub/ContentDetail.asp?lngContentID=83 La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia: 4th Annual Global Finance Conference] ] The deal with his rival and succesor
Supachai Panitchpakdimeant that he served only half of the usual six year term in the post.
New Zealand Political Positions Held
* Opposition (NZ Labour Party) Spokesperson, Foreign Affairs 1993-1999
* Leader, Parliamentary NZ Labour Party 1990-1993
* Prime Minister of New Zealand 1990
* Minister of Overseas Trade and Marketing 1984-90
* Minister of Tourism, Sport and Recreation 1984-87
* Chair, Cabinet Committee, Economic Development and Employment 1984-90
* Minister for the America’s Cup 1988-90
* Minister of External Relations and Trade 1988-90
* Deputy Minister of Finance 1988-90
* Member of Parliament, Waimakariri (formerly Papanui and Christchurch North) 1978 - 1999
* Member of Parliament, Eden 1972 - 1975.
World Trade Organization
Mike Moore was the Director-General of the World Trade Organisation from 1999 to 2002, his term coincided with momentous changes in the global economy and multilateral trading system. He is widely credited with restoring confidence in the system following the setback of the 3rd WTO Ministerial Conference held in Seattle in 1999. Ministers at the 4th WTO Ministerial Conference in Doha, Qatar respect him as the driving force behind the decision to launch a new round of multilateral trade negotiations. That meeting in 2001 also saw the successful accession to the WTO of China and Chinese Taipei, which along with Estonia, Jordan, Georgia, Albania, Oman, Croatia, Lithuania and Moldova joined during Mr Moore's term bringing in the majority of the world's population within the rules-based trading system. He gave particular attention to helping poor countries participate effectively in the multilateral trading system.
International Services and Appointments
* Commissioner, UN Commission of Legal Empowerment of the Poor.
* Commissioner, Global Commission on International Migration.
* Director General of the World Trade Organisation 1999-2002.
* Founding member, Global Leadership Foundation.
* Senior Counsellor, Fonterra.
* Member, Trilateral Commission.
* Member, Economic Development Board, South Australia.
* Special Advisor, China Institute for Reform and Development’s World Trade Organisation Reference Centre.
* New Zealand Government Trade Envoy.
* Special Advisor to the United Nations Global Compact for Business and Development.
* Former Board Member to the Gottlieb Duttweiler Institute.
* Member, Board of Governors for the Institute for International Business, Economics and Law, University of Adelaide.
* Adjunct Professor, La Trobe University, Melbourne Australia and University of Adelaide, South Australia.
* Chairperson, Advisory Board of Carnegie Mellon University, Adelaide.
* Honorary Professor, Beijing Normal University, Zhuhai.
* Honorary Professor, Chinese University for Political Science and International Law, Beijing.
* Honorary Professor, Shanghai Customs College.
* Visiting Professor, School of Public Policy, University of Birmingham, 2003.
* Member, Competition Council, South Australia.
* Honorary President, Beijing Afforestation Foundation. [http://www.mike-moore.info Mike Moore Official website] ]
Global Leadership Foundation[ [http://www.g-l-f.org/pagebuilder.asp?id=239 Welcome to GLF Global Leadership Foundation ] ]
Mike Moore is an author of a number of books, on subjects ranging from politics to the Pacific. His most recent book on globalisation, 'A World Without Walls', has also been published in Chinese and Turkish. He has a regular newspaper column that appears in five countries. [http://www.latrobe.edu.au/news/2006/mediarelease_2006-28.php La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia: Media Release] ]
* 'A World Without Walls' (Cambridge University Press, 2003, also published in Chinese and Turkish)
* 'On Balance'
* 'Beyond Today'
* 'A Pacific Parliament'
* 'The Added Value Economy'
* 'Hard Labour'
* 'Fighting for New Zealand'
* 'Children of the Poor'
* 'A Brief History of the Future'
=Honours and Awards=
* The Order of New Zealand - New Zealand's highest honour
* Commemoration Medal 1990 - New Zealand
* Honorary Doctorate of Commerce - Lincoln University, New Zealand
* Honorary Doctorate in Economics –
The People's University of China(Beijing)
* Honorary Doctorate in Commerce –
Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand
* Honorary Doctorate, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand
* Honorary Doctorate in Law, La Trobe University, Australia
* Commander of the Order of the Equatorial Star - Government of Gabon
* Chancellor’s Medal (Medalla Rectoral) - University of Chile
* National Order of Cote d’Ivoire and also the Order of the Golden Heart of Kenya - Government of Kenya
* Order of Duke Branimir with Ribbon – Republic of Croatia
* National Honour of Georgia – Government of Georgia
* The Medal of the Oriental Republic of Uruguay – Government of Uruguay – highest national honour
* Pope John Paul II Annual Medal – The
NAME=Moore, Michael Kenneth
ALTERNATIVE NAMES=Moore, Mike
Prime Minister of New Zealand, politician, academic
DATE OF BIRTH=1949
PLACE OF BIRTH=
Whakatane, New Zealand
DATE OF DEATH=
PLACE OF DEATH=
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mike Moore — Mike (Michael) Moore (* 28. Januar 1949 in Whakatane, Neuseeland) ist ein neuseeländischer Politiker. Er war unter anderem Premierminister von Neuseeland sowie Generaldirektor der WTO. Leben Von 1972 bis 1996 hatte er einen Sitz im… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mike Moore — est un homme politique né à Whakatane en Nouvelle Zélande en 1949. Après une première expérience en tant qu imprimeur, employé dans le secteur de la boucherie, ouvrier dans la construction, travailleur social et chercheur dans le domaine syndical … Wikipédia en Français
Mike Moore — Michael Kenneth Moore (Mike) Primer Ministro de Nueva Zelanda 4 de septiembre de 1990 – 2 de noviembre de 1990 Predecesor Geoffrey Palmer Sucesor Jim Bo … Wikipedia Español
Mike Moore (baseball) — Mike Moore Pitcher Born: November 26, 1959 (1959 11 26) (age 51) Eakly, Oklahoma Batted: Right Threw: Right … Wikipedia
Mike Moore (U.S. politician) — Mike Moore Mississippi Attorney General In office January 12, 1988 – January 13, 2004 Governor Ray Mabus (1988 1992) Kirk F … Wikipedia
Mike Moore (ice hockey) — Mike Moore Born December 12, 1984 (1984 12 12) (age 26) Calgary, AB, CAN Height … Wikipedia
Mike Moore (American football coach) — Mike Moore Sport(s) Football Coaching career (HC unless noted) 1999–2009 Bethel (KS) Head coaching record Overall 47–51 (.480) … Wikipedia
Mike Moore (New Zealand politician) — The Right Honourable Mike Moore ONZ Mike Moore 6th Director General of the World Trade Organization … Wikipedia
Mike Moore (US politician) — Infobox Governor name= Mike Moore |caption= order= office= Mississippi Attorney General term start= January, 1988 term end= January, 2004 predecessor= Ed Pittman successor= Jim Hood birth date= 3 April 1952 death date= death place=… … Wikipedia
Mike Moore (Eishockeyspieler) — Kanada Mike Moore Personenbezogene Informationen Geburtsdatum 12. Dezember 1984 Geburtsort Calgary, Alberta, Kanada … Deutsch Wikipedia