- Music visualization
Music visualization, a feature found in electronic music visualizers and media player software, generates animated imagery based on a piece of music. The imagery is usually generated and rendered in real time and synchronized with the music as it is played.
Visualization techniques range from simple ones (e.g., a simulation of an oscilloscope display) to elaborate ones, which often include a plurality of composited effects. The changes in the music's loudness and frequency spectrum are among the properties used as input to the visualization.
The first electronic music visualizer was the Atari Video Music introduced by Atari Inc. in 1976, and designed by the initiator of the home version of Pong, Robert Brown. The idea was to create a visual exploration that could be implemented into a Hi-Fi stereo system. It is described in US 4081829 .
Music and audio players were available on early home computers, Sound to Light Generator (1985, Infinite Software) used the ZX Spectrum's cassette player for example. The 1984 movie Electric Dreams prominently made use of one, although as a pre-generated effect, rather than calculated in real-time. One of the first modern music visualization programs was the open-source, multi-platform Cthugha (1994). Subsequently, computer music visualisation became widespread in the mid to late 1990s as applications such as Winamp (1997), Audion (1999), and SoundJam (2000). By 1999, there were several dozen freeware non-trivial music visualizers in distribution.
In particular, MilkDrop by Ryan Geiss, G-Force by Andy O'Meara, and Advanced Visualization Studio (AVS) by Nullsoft became popular music visualizations. AVS is part of Winamp and has been recently open-sourced, and G-Force was licensed for use in iTunes and Windows Media Center and is presently the flagship product for Andy O'Meara's software startup company, SoundSpectrum. The real distinction between music visualization programs such as Geiss' MilkDrop and other forms of music visualization such as music videos or a laser lighting display is the visualization programs' ability to create different visualizations for each song every time the program is run.
List of electronic music visualizers
- Atari Video Music, designed by the initiator of the home version of Pong, Robert Brown, and introduced by Atari Inc. in 1976.
- Pixelmusic 3000, open source music visualizer on a microcontroller, made by Uncommon Projects in 2008.
List of music visualization software
- Cthugha (Kevin "Zaph" Burfitt, 1993)
- Rabbit Hole (2001 version for Sonique , 2011 port for the App Store (iOS))
- Advanced Visualization Studio (Justin Frankel)
- G-Force (2000, Andy O'Meara, SoundSpectrum)
- MilkDrop (2001, Ryan Geiss), an OpenGL implementation, projectM, and a WebGL implementation, milkshake
- Music Animation Machine (MAM, 1985) visualizes MIDI scores, rather than waveforms.
- MIDIjam, which also visualizes MIDI files, but with three-dimensional instruments rather than two-dimensional graphics.
- Virtual Light Machine (Jeff Minter, 1990)
- Neon (Jeff Minter and Ivan Zorzin, 2004)
- SONOVISTA™ BiT BOPPER (1993, O'Wonder) 
- Whip! (1999, Escape)
- TronMe (2006, 3D Solar)
- Visual Music Tone Painter (1992-2004, Stephen Nachmanovitch)
- Vsxu (2003, Vovoid)
An early "light synthesizer", Psychedelia (1984, Jeff Minter), did not use audio input but was designed to create visualizations in accompaniment to music.
List of media players supporting visualization
- Foobar2000 (Platform: Windows)
- MediaPortal (OpenSource, Team MediaPortal) (Platform: Windows)
- iTunes (2001, Apple) (Platforms: Mac OS X, Windows)
- Winamp (Nullsoft/AOL) (Platforms: Windows)
- Windows Media Player (Microsoft) (Platforms: Windows)
- MediaMonkey (Ventis Media Inc.) (Platform: Windows)
- MusicBee (Steven Mayall) (Platforms: Windows)
- K-Multimedia Player (Pandora.TV) (Platform: Windows)
- Amarok (Open Source, KDE) (Platform: Linux)
- Totem (Open Source, Gnome) (Platform: Linux)
- Audacious Media Player (Audacious Team) (Platforms: POSIX) 
- VLC media player (VideoLAN Project) (Platforms: Cross-platform)
- ^ "Sound to Light Generator". World of Spectrum. http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0018300. Retrieved 2009-02-20.
- ^ "About iTunes" - iTunes 18.104.22.168 credits
- ^ http://digitaltools.node3000.com/blog/183-pixelmusic-3000-visual-nostalgia-from-the-70ies-era
- ^ http://uncommonprojects.com/site/play/pixelmusic-3000
- ^ Center for Computer Assisted Research in the Humanities (1992). Computing in musicology, Volume 8. ISBN 9780936943060. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=RQD0AAAAMAAJ&q=%22music+animation+machine%22&dq=%22music+animation+machine%22&hl=en&ei=W0LuS4rJCMu2_Qaj_fzmBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAQ.
- ^ http://www.owonder.com/history/bitbopper/sonovista
- ^ http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/~nf2/projects/projects.html
- ^ SIGART (2000). Intelligence, new visions of artificial intelligence in practice. 11. Association for Computing Machinery. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=-WZVAAAAMAAJ&q=%22Visual+Music+Tone+Painter%22&dq=%22Visual+Music+Tone+Painter%22&hl=en&ei=akTuS6O1JI-h_AacoezmBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAQ.
- ^ "Audacious - Features". http://www.audacious-media-player.org/features. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- ^ "VLC playback Features". http://www.videolan.org/vlc/features.html. Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- Laser Harp midi controller for ILDA compliant laser projectors
- Music Visualization: Beautiful Tools to 'See' Sound
- Visual Music Archive by Prof. Dr. Heike Sperling
Media players TechnologiesArticlesPreferences CommercialMobileVariousAndroidOS Freeware or Free softwareAdobe Media Player · CrystalPlayer · Dell MediaDirect · foobar2000 · GOM Player · jetAudio · K-Multimedia Player · Macromedia Shockwave · MadCat Media Browser · Media Go · Media Player Classic · MediaMonkey · Mod4Win · Mpxplay · MusicBee · MusikCube · PC Friendly · QuickPlayer · Quintessential Player · QuuxPlayer · Style Jukebox · Winamp · WinPlay3playerBaudline · Beep Media Player · cmus · Decibel Audio Player · Exaile · Gnome Music Player Client · Helix · JuK · Kaffeine · LinuxMCE · Lsongs · Miro · Mpg123 · Muine · Music Player Daemon · Music on Console · Noatun · Ogle DVD Player · Rhythmbox · Totem · Unix Amiga Delitracker Emulator · Xine · XMMS · XMMS2Multi-Platform
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
music visualization — noun 1. : the creation of a modern or ballet dance entirely from designs suggested by musical accompaniment 2. : a dance that constitutes a direct translation of music into motion … Useful english dictionary
Music Player Daemon — Developer(s) Max Kellermann Initial release 2003 Stable release 0.16.5 (9 October 2011) [ … Wikipedia
Visualization (computer graphics) — See also Visualization and Information graphics Visualization is any technique for creating images, diagrams, or animations to communicate a message. Visualization through visual imagery has been an effective way to communicate both abstract and… … Wikipedia
Visualization — The term visualization may refer to:* Creative Visualization * Educational visualization * Flow visualization * Geovisualization * Illustration * Information graphics, visual representations of information, data, or knowledge * Interactive… … Wikipedia
Visual music — Visual music, sometimes called colour music, refers to the use of musical structures in visual imagery, which can also include silent films or silent Lumia work. It also refers to methods or devices which can translate sounds or music into a… … Wikipedia
Advanced Visualization Studio — (AVS), is a music visualization plugin for Winamp designed by Justin Frankel, the creator of Winamp itself. Its highly customizable design allows users to create their own visualization effects, or presets, which are featured on numerous websites … Wikipedia
Electronic Visualization Laboratory — The Electronic Visualization Laboratory (EVL) is a cross disciplinary research lab at the University of Illinois at Chicago. It brings together faculty and students from the Art and Computer Science departments of UIC. The primary areas of… … Wikipedia
Advanced Visualization Studio — Для термина «AVS» см. другие значения. Advanced Visualization Studio Тип … Википедия
Sound and music computing — (SMC) is a research field that studies the whole sound and music communication chain from a multidisciplinary point of view. By combining scientific, technological and artistic methodologies it aims at understanding, modeling and generating sound … Wikipedia
Canon (music) — In music, a canon is a contrapuntal composition that employs a melody with one or more imitations of the melody played after a given duration (e.g., quarter rest, one measure, etc.). The initial melody is called the leader (or dux), while the… … Wikipedia