- Harold Washington Library
The Harold Washington Library Center is the central library for the
Chicago Public LibrarySystem. It is named for former Mayor Harold Washington. It is located just south of the Loop 'L', at 400 S. State Street in Chicago. It is a full service library and ADA compliant. As with all libraries in the Chicago Public Library system, it has free wifiinternet service. It is approximately convert|756640|sqft|m2. [cite web|url = http://www.chipublib.org/branch/details/library/harold-washington/p/TourIndex/ | title = Harold Washington Library Center: Take a Tour]
It opened to the public
October 7, 1991. The building was designed by the architectural firm of Hammond, Beeby and Babka, now known as Hammond Beeby Rupert Ainge, Inc., winners of the design competition. [cite web|url = http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=haroldwashingtonlibrary-chicago-il-usa| title = Harold Washington Library at Emporis web site]
buildings, among others.
The bottom portion is made of large granite blocks. Red brick makes up the majority of the exterior. These two portions look similar to the Beaux-Art style.cite web|url =http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/740668hwlc.html| title = Harold Washington Library Center from Univerity of Chicago Press] The top portion and most of the west side, facing Plymouth Court, is glass, steel and aluminum. The roof is a
pedimentwith ornamentation and harkens to the Mannerist style.In 1993, seven ornamentations on the roof were added.
acroteriumon the State Street side representation of an owl. The acroteriaon the Congress Parkway and on the Van Buren sides contain seed pods, which represent the natural bounty of the Midwest. The acroteria angularia contain an owl, representing the Greek symbol of knowledge, perched in foliage.
On the divide between the granite blocks and the brick portions are wall medallions that have the face of Ceres and ears of corn.
On the north, east and south sides of the build are five story tall arched windows. Between the windows are rope friezes.
All public doors lead to the lobby. The north public entrance on Van Buren is just east of the Brown Line’s Library-State/Van Buren stop. The corridor goes east then south then west and opens south to the lobby. The east and south public entrances open directly to the lobby. The west public entrance opens to the offices. The west corridor goes east then south to open at the lobby.
* The lower level houses the Cindy
PritzkerAuditorium, Multi-Purpose Room and Exhibit Hall.
* The central lobby is two stories tall. On the east side, the popular library is housed.
* The second floor houses the Thomas Hughes Children’s library.
* The third floor is the floor that is the entrance to the main library. The circulation desk, book check-in/check-out, computers for public use, periodicals, interlibrary loan and general information services department.
* The fourth floor holds the business, general sciences, and technology items.
* The fifth floor holds government publications, Chicago municipal references, maps, and center for the blind, visually impaired and physically disabled.
* The sixth floor holds social sciences and history resources.
* The seventh floor holds literature and language resources as well as a work by acclaimed Polish sculptor
* The eighth floor holds visual and performing arts resources, music practice rooms, and audio/visual rooms.
* The ninth floor holds the winter garden, which may be rented for social functions, special collection and preservation department, the Harold Washington archives and collections and exhibit halls.
* The tenth floor is not open to the public. It houses library offices and technical services.
The Harold Washington Library opened on October 7, 1991. After the refurbishment of the
Chicago Cultural Centerin 1977, where the central library was housed, much of its collection was archived. A debate on a new central library ensued. This debate continued throughout most of the 1980s. In addition, a lack of funding contributed to the delay. Building a new central library was supported by the late Harold Washington, then mayor. Originally, the building was to have arched over VanBuren onto the area occupied by Pritzker Park, but this was deemed to be too expensive. With his support the building was finally built at Congress Parkway and State Street, covering an entire block. Upon completion, Mayor Richard M. Daleynamed the building in honor of Mayor Harold Washington. The Library has appeared in the "Guinness Book of Records" as the largest public library building in the world.
* [http://www.chipublib.org/branch/details/library/harold-washington/ Harold Washington Library] home page
* [http://www.chipublib.org/cpl.html Chicago Public Library] home page
Chicago Public Library
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Harold Washington Library — 41° 52′ 34″ N 87° 37′ 42″ W / 41.876044, 87.628359 … Wikipédia en Français
Harold Washington — Infobox Congressman name = Harold Washington imagesize = 250px birth date = birth date|1922|4|15|mf=y birth place = Chicago, Illinois, United States death date = death date and age|1987|11|25|1922|4|15|mf=y death place = Chicago, Illinois, United … Wikipedia
Library-State/Van Buren — Library 1 W. Van Buren Street Chicago, Illinois 60605 Localisation Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Library-State/Van Buren (CTA) — Library State/Van Buren (commonly simply Library) is an L station serving the CTA s Brown, Orange, Pink, and Purple Lines. It is so named because it allows direct access to the second floor of the Harold Washington Library building. It is a… … Wikipedia
Washington — /wosh ing teuhn, waw shing /, n. 1. Booker T(aliaferro) /book euhr tol euh veuhr/, 1856 1915, U.S. reformer, educator, author, and lecturer. 2. George, 1732 99, U.S. general and political leader: 1st president of the U.S. 1789 97. 3. Martha… … Universalium
Washington Square Park (Chicago) — Infobox nrhp | name =Washington Square caption = Washington Square Park (Background: Newberry Library) location = 901 N. Clark St., Chicago, Illinois lat degrees = 41 lat minutes = 53 lat seconds = 57.12 lat direction = N long degrees = 87 long… … Wikipedia
Harold M. McClelland — Harold Mark McClelland Major General Harold M. McClelland Born November 4, 1893(1893 11 04) … Wikipedia
Washington, D. C. — Washington D. C. Washington Monument und Weißes Haus … Deutsch Wikipedia
Washington, DC — Washington D. C. Washington Monument und Weißes Haus … Deutsch Wikipedia
Washington (D.C.) — Washington D. C. Washington Monument und Weißes Haus … Deutsch Wikipedia