- When Saturday Comes (film)
name = When Saturday Comes
caption = DVD cover
Story by James Daly
Sean Bean Emily Lloyd Pete Postlethwaite
producer = James Daly
Christopher Lambert Meir Teper
Anne Dudley Joe Elliott
Grant Cameron Gerry Fisher
released = 1996
runtime = 98 min.
language = English
imdb_id = 0114917 :"This article is about the film. For the football magazine of the same name see When Saturday Comes"When Saturday Comes" is a British
filmfrom 1996 starring Sean Beanand Emily Lloyd, directed by Maria Giese. It is about a factory worker who gets scouted, firstly by the well-known non-league side Hallam F.C.and then later by Sheffield United Football Club. It was filmed at various locations around South Yorkshireincluding Rotherham, Sandygate Roadand Bramall Lane.
The film is notable for its straying from football reality. When the film was made Sean Bean was himself 36, an age when most players are retiring, not starting. When Sheffield United reach the
FA Cupsemi-final, the match is played at Bramall Lane when in reality the semi-final is played at a neutral venue.
The captain of the Sheffield United team, a player who hates Sean Bean's character, and the closest the film has to a villain, is played by
Mel Sterland. Sterland himself is a former Sheffield Wednesday player.
Most of the songs in this movie are original and produced by
Joe Elliottof Def Leppard. He produced more notably "Jimmy's Theme" and the title song.
* The 'street footballing kid' who appears in the film's opening scene doing kick ups in the street as a young version of lead character Jimmy Muir, is actually incorrectly credited on the film (and consequently on the
Internet Movie Database) as Daniel Oldham. The actor's name is actually Daniel Williamson (born 1 January 1984), who also happens to be the son of ex-Sheffield Wednesday footballer Charlie Williamson (who incidentally also appears in the film as a footballer who gets injured in the big game, giving the lead character the chance to come on as a substitute and become a hero).Fact|date=February 2007
* Charlie Williamson and his friend Mel Sterland, another ex-Sheffield Wednesday player who appears in the film (see above) both acted as Sheffield United players and therefore had to wear United kits for the match scenes, something which was a great strain for them given the two clubs' great rivalry. Mel also brought in a few of his new signings for Boston united to take part in the film, Boston United forward Tim Edge who played for the Manchester united side in the film, wore the famous number 7 shirt worn by Eric Cantona, just a day after the "kung fu" kick on a supporter in the crowd. Tim Edge who was a free scoring centre forward played for Boston United, Worksop Town, Matlock Town, and other semi-professional clubs.
* For a crucial goal in the semi-final, Mel Sterland appears to play a long ball which he then manages to receive (50 yards up the pitch) and lay off for Jimmy Muir to score.
*Sean Bean was married to his co-star Melanie Hill from 1990 to 1997.
* In 2006, when Manchester United played Sheffield United at Bramall lane in the Barclaycard Premiership, the announcer jokingly stated that "the last time this fixture was played, it was won with a penalty by Sean Bean."
*In a crucial scene when Mel Sterland was playing, the scene had to be re-taken many times as the fans made up of Sheffield United fans kept booing when they should have been cheering.
Sean Bean– Jimmy Muir
Emily Lloyd– Annie Doherty
*Craig Kelly – Russel Muir
Melanie Hill– Mary Muir
John McEnery– Joe Muir
Ann Bell– Sarah Muir
*Ian Taylor – Jimmy Muir as kid
*Tony Currie – Tony Currie
Mel Sterland– Captain Sheffield United
Pete Postlethwaite– Ken Jackson
Rebecca Nichols– Stripper
*Chris Walker – Mac
*John Higgins – Rob
*Tim Gallagher – Steve
*Peter Gunn – Tommy
Nick Waring- Gerry
James McKenna- George McCabe
Claude Makélélé- Chopper
Daniel Williamson- Street Footballing Kid
Thomas Bingham- The Boy Who Ran Across The Graveyard
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
When Saturday Comes — This article is about the monthly magazine. For the film of the same name see When Saturday ComesInfobox Magazine title = When Saturday Comes image size = image caption = editor = Andy Lyons editor title = Editor staff writer = frequency =… … Wikipedia
When Saturday Comes — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. When Saturday Comes, le mensuel de fans du football anglais ; When Saturday Comes, le film britannique de 1996 qui porte le titre de Jimmy en… … Wikipédia en Français
Saturday — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Le mot Saturday (samedi, en anglais) entre dans de nombreux titres : Sommaire 1 Cinéma 2 Jeu vidéo … Wikipédia en Français
Saturday Night and Sunday Morning — Infobox Book name = Saturday Night and Sunday Morning title orig = translator = image caption = Cover of the first UK edition author = Alan Sillitoe illustrator = cover artist = country = United Kingdom language = English series = subject = genre … Wikipedia
Saturday (novel) — Infobox Book name = Saturday title orig = translator = image caption = The British hardcover edition, with the BT Tower in the background author = Ian McEwan illustrator = cover artist = Chris Frazer country = flagicon|England England language =… … Wikipedia
Saturday's Warrior — Infobox Film name = Saturday s Warrior image size = 150px writer = Douglas Stewart starring = Eric Hickenlooper Cori Jacobsen Davison Cheney Bart Hickenlooper director = Bob Williams producer = Bob Williams Gary Lewis distributor = Fieldbrook… … Wikipedia
Saturday Night Special (film) — Saturday Night Special is a 2007 motion picture written, directed and produced by Justin Evans. The motion picture stars Michael Scovotti, Joseph Julian Soria and Ross Marquand. The production was scored by Free (AKA Brent Daniels AKA Brent… … Wikipedia
When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit — is a children s novel, by Judith Kerr, first published in 1971. It is a semi autobiographical story of a young Jewish girl who is forced to flee her home in Germany in 1933 with her family to escape the Nazis, who her father, a writer, had… … Wikipedia
Saturday Night Live — For the competing sketch comedy on ABC, see Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell. SNL redirects here. For other uses, see SNL (disambiguation). Saturday Night Live The Saturday Night Live inter title season 37 Also known as … Wikipedia
Saturday Night Live TV show sketches of the 2000s — Since the beginning of Saturday Night Live, the show has been something of an anti television show, turning the medium on its head with endless fake commercials and parodies of TV shows themselves. The most common style of their recurring… … Wikipedia