Towrang, New South Wales

Towrang, New South Wales

Infobox Australian Place | type = town
name = Towrang
state = nsw

caption =
lga = Goulburn Mulwaree Council
postcode = 2580
est =
pop = 406
maxtemp =
mintemp =
rainfall =
stategov = Goulburn
fedgov = Hume
dist1 = 191
dir1 = SW
location1= Sydney
dist2 = 17
dir2 = NE
location2= Goulburn

Towrang is a village in the Southern Tablelands of New South Wales, Australia, in Goulburn Mulwaree Council. It is approximately 13 km before Goulburn on the Hume Highway 180 km south from Sydney. At the 2006 census, Towrang and the surrounding area had a population of 406.Census 2006 AUS|id=SSC19101 |name=Towrang (State Suburb)|accessdate=2008-04-28|quick=on]

The town was established in the 1800s, early in the European settlement of New South Wales. The area was once a large producer of fruit for the Sydney market. The railway station opened in 1869 [ [ Towrang Railway Station] . Accessed 9 April 2008.] and was one of the busiest in the state. Fact|date=April 2008 The station closed in 1974 and has since been removed, after Goulburn outgrew Towrang and fruit production declined.Fact|date=April 2008


A major stockade for chain-bound convicts and others involved in the construction of the Great South Road was located on the north side of the Hume Highway at Towrang Creek from around 1836 to 1842. The stockade was the major penal settlement in southern New South Wales and enforced harsh discipline. Around 250 convicts slept there on bare boards with a blanket each and 10 men to a cell. One of the floggers was later murdered. [cite web
title =Goulburn
publisher =The Sydney Morning Herald
date =February 8 2004
url =
accessdate = 2007-02-06

There is a rest area on the south side where a well-preserved bridge (possibly designed by the designer of impressive early bridges in New South Wales, David Lennox) [cite web
title =Masonry Bridges: Heritage Study of Masonry Bridges in NSW
publisher =Roads and Traffic Authority
date =2005
url =
accessdate = 2007-02-06
] and a culvert can be viewed.

The stockade is on the north side of the Highway and used to be accessible by a stile, but this has been taken down to discourage people from stopping and using the daunting intersection with Towrang Road, especially for those turning right on to the Highway towards Goulburn. There are the remains of the powder magazine next to the Wollondilly River, three graves on the north bank of Towrang Creek, and the remains of a weir on Towrang Creek built for the stockade. Aboriginal stone tools have also been found on the banks of Towrang Creek, indicating that this was a route well-travelled long before Hamilton Hume came this way in 1818.

The Hume highway in this area has been recently upgraded from September 2007 - To improve safety at and in-between the 'seagull intersections' with Towrang and Carrick Roads under AusLink [] .


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.