- Civic engagement
Civic engagement can take many forms— from individual volunteerism to organizational involvement to electoral participation. It can include efforts to directly address an issue, work with others in a community to solve a problem or interact with the institutions of representative democracy.
Another way of describing this concept is the sense of personal responsibility individuals should feel to uphold their obligations as part of any community.
"Youth civic engagement" has identical aims, only with consideration for youth voice.
In a study published by CIRCLE, the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts divided into 3 categories: civic, electoral, and political voice.
Measures of Civic Engagement Civic Electoral Political Voice Community problem solving Regular voting Contacting officials Regular volunteering for a non-electoral organization Persuading others to vote Contacting the print media Active membership in a group or association Displaying buttons, signs, stickers Contacting the broadcast media Participation in fund-raising run/walk/ride Campaign contributions Protesting Other fund-raising for charity Volunteering for candidate or political organizations Email petitions Written petitions Boycotting Buycotting Canvassing
- Community building
- Community development
- Civic courage
- Civic virtue
- Civil society
- Social capital
- Youth empowerment
- ^ "Civic engagement", American Psychological Association. Retrieved 11/26/07.
- ^ a b Ketter, S., Zukin, C., Andolina, M., and Jenkins, K. (2002) "The Civic and Political Health of a Nation: A Generational Portrait" CIRCLE and The Pew Charitable Trusts.
- The Citizen's Handbook
- Community University Engagement
- Center for Civic Engagement at University of South Florida, St. Petersburg
- Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE) at the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship & Public Service, Tufts University
- Civic engagement through City Wikis and Civic Wikis. - PortlandWiki's City Wiki page.
- Northumberland Civic Engagement
- Civic Engagement Center at Central Washington University
- WHYY Civic Engagement Project
- Penn Project for Civic Engagement at the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education
- The Center for Future Civic Media, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- Center for Civic Engagement at the University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College.
- Student Voices a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
The Partnership High School of Law, Democracy, & Civic Engagement — The Partnership High School for Law, Democracy, and Civic Engagement is a unique collaboration among the School District of Philadelphia, the National Constitution Center, and the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History. The school will be… … Wikipedia
Civic intelligence — is an intelligence that is devoted to addressing public or civic issues. The term has been applied to individuals and to collective bodies, like organizations, institutions, or societies. Contents 1 The concept 2 The term 3 … Wikipedia
Civic — can refer to multiple things: Civics, the science of comparative government Civic, Christchurch, a Category II heritage building in the Christchurch Central City Civic engagement, the connection one feels with their larger community Honda Civic,… … Wikipedia
engagement — noun 1 appointment ADJECTIVE ▪ previous, prior ▪ Mrs Meyer regrets that she is unable to attend owing to a previous engagement. ▪ important ▪ business, official … Collocations dictionary
Civic virtue — Civility redirects here. For the Wikipedia policy on civility, see Wikipedia:Civility. Jacques Louis David s 1784 painting The Oath of the Horatii, illustrating a dramatic moment from Livy s history of Rome, embodies eighteenth century ideas… … Wikipedia
Civic Exchange — Formation September 2000 Type Public policy think tank Location C … Wikipedia
Civic Education — (ins Deutsche übertragen: Bürgerschaftliche Erziehung) ist ein im angloamerikanischen Sprachraum entstandenes pädagogisches Modell mit dem Ziel, durch lebenslanges soziales und multikulturelles Lernen demokratisches Handeln und Denken einzuüben… … Deutsch Wikipedia
CIVIC Education Study — Die CIVIC Education Study ist eine international vergleichende Studie zur politischen Bildung 14 bis 19 Jähriger. Sie wurde 1999–2000 von der International Evaluation Association durchgeführt. Ergebnisse Das politische Wissen der deutschen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Civic journalism — Journalism News · Writing style Ethics · Objectivity Values · … Wikipedia
Civic Journalism — The civic journalism movement (also known as public journalism) is, according to professor David K. Perry of the University of Alabama, an attempt to abandon the notion that journalists and their audiences are spectators in political and social… … Wikipedia