- Museums Association
The association is the oldest museum association in the world and was started in 1889 by a small group of museums to protect the interests of museums and galleries. The inaugural meeting was held at the invitation of the Council of the Yorkshire Philosophical Society in York on 20 June 1889.
The Museums Association is governed by a council of senior museum personnel, elected by MA members. The current president of the organisation is Virginia Tandy; the previous president was Charles Saumarez Smith.
"AMA" denotes an Associate of the Museums Association. "FMA" denotes a Fellow of the Museums Association.
- MDA (formerly the Museum Documentation Association)
- British Association of Friends of Museums
- Irish Museums Association
- ^ a b Geoffrey Lewis, For Instruction and Recreation: A Centenary History of the Museums Association. London: Quiller Press, 1989. ISBN 1-870948-37-8.
- ^ Museums Journal, Volume 7. Indexes to papers read before the Museums Association, 1890–1909. Compiled by Charles Madeley. Available on Google Books.
- ^ Museum Practice online, museumsassociation.org, accessed March 2011
This article about an organisation in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.