- Test Icicles
Infobox Musical artist
Name = Test Icicles
Img_capt = From left to right -
Rory Atwell, Sam Mehran, Devonte Hynes
Img_size = 300px
Landscape = yes
Background = group_or_band
London, England, UK
Dance-punk Post-hardcore Noise Rock Indie rock
Years_active = 2004-2006
Label = Domino
Lightspeed ChampionKASMs RAT:ATT:AGG Semifinalists Tom Vek
URL = [http://www.myspace.com/testicicles www.myspace.com/testicicles]
Sam Mehran Rory Attwell Devonte Hynes
Test Icicles were a short-lived
rock bandformed in England, primarily influenced by indie rockbut containing musical elements from a variety of genres (notably hip-hop, crossover thrashand punk). The band was formed in 2004 by Rory Attwelland Sam Mehran, who were later joined by Devonte Hynes. Hynes and Mehran were both only 18 years old at the time of the band's conception.
According to the group's record label (
Domino Records), the name "Test Icicles" is not derived from the word " testicles", but rather from a practice of early man, involving the "testing" of icicles for their strength and fitness for use as weapons. However, this is extremely debatable and is probably an example of the band's surreal humour, seeing as a previous incarnation of the group (featuring Mehran, Atwell and Semifinalists' Ferry Gouw) was named "Balls".
Prior to forming the band, Atwell, Hynes and Mehran (all of whom shared vocal and guitar duties) had met each other through mutual friends. The trio's preferance for the same nightspots (such as the Afterskool night club, in London) also led to frequent meet-ups. All three members of the group were involved in numerous, short-lived musical projects before the forming of Test Icicles;some of these taking shape only as songs posted on various
Myspacemusic profiles (such as Mehran's DANGEROUSDUDE output). Hynes and Mehran continued this trend throughout the existence of Test Icicles with the NLS Crew, a collective founded by the pair and whose most prominent output was a remix of Death from Above 1979's "Black History Month" single (which is available on DFA 1979's "").According to the NME, Domino had signed Test Icicles near sight-unseen. This probably explains the label's surprise and suggested re-working of initial album material completed by the band. In 2005 the group went to France with Simian Mobile Discoproducer James Fordto record their debut album For Screening Purposes Only.
Following the release of the album (on
31 October 2005) the band toured the United Stateswith Art Brut before returning to Europe for additional performances.
In February 2006, the band announced they were splitting up. [ [http://www.nme.com/news/test-icicles/22284 Test Icicles split | News | NME.COM ] ] In an interview with NME in March 2006, Hynes claimed that "We were never, ever that keen on the music. I understand that people liked it, but we personally, er, didn't.".
The band then completed a small 5 show UK tour before splitting.
26 April 2006the band released " Dig Your Own Grave", an EP meant as a farewell from the band. It featured a CD with remixes and unreleased tracks, and a DVD with the band's music videos and footage from the band's performance at the LSE in November 2005. It was first sold at the band's five final shows before becoming available in record stores a week later.
After the band split, Atwell and Hynes continued to stay active, becoming involved in a number of
side projects between them. Attwell formed RAT:ATT:AGG (later known as 'Wrists'), who had a small number of releases and remixed for bands such as Fake Shark - Real Zombie!and The Kills. The band announced their official split on 30 November 2007and offered fans free downloads of their songs. Atwell has since gone on to play drums and guitar in KASMs.Hynes currently records under the name Lightspeed Champion(also signed to Domino Records) and in early 2008 released a succesful album entitled ' Falling off the Lavender Bridge'.
Hynes has also collaborated with the band
Whirlwind Heatunder the name Lightspeed Heat. In 2007 they released a 7" EP. This, however, was another one off side project.
Mehran is believed to have moved back to America after the split and is claimed to have been spotted working in a record store in New York [http://www.flickr.com/photos/heardism/1368324326/ Flickr] . It is also believed he is no longer in contact with his former bandmates.
* Rory Attwell (AKA Raary Deci-hells, Raary Rambert RAT ATT AGG, Rory Brattwell) English (Born in London) — guitar and vocals
* Sam Mehran (AKA Sam E Danger, Sam E Slaughter) American (Born in Miami, moved to
Adelaide, Australia, then to New Yorkbefore moving to England) — vocals and guitar
* Devonte Hynes (AKA Dev Metal, !Ved) American (Born in
Houston, Texas, moved to Edinburgh, before moving to Essex, England) — guitar, keyboards and vocals
At live shows the members would play along to pre-recorded drum and bass tracks played from an
The band shared song-writing duties, with most music being written by Mehran
* Rory Attwell (Guitars - Wilson Bros. Venture VM-75, Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster)
* Devonte Hynes (Guitars - Squire HH Showmaster (hot pink), Aria II Pro ZZ Deluxe, and in earlier shows, he used a Telecaster copy).
* Sam Mehran (Guitars - Les Paul Deluxe copy, Peavey Raptor)
Amps - All three of the members would switch guitar duties, usually sharing the same amps. They usually used a
PeaveyValveking 1x12, a small Trace Elliotcombo, or a Fender Hot Rod deluxe.
Keyboard - Dev used a
Effects - It is hard to see which effects they used, but one picture shows an
Electro HarmonixWORM modulation pedal, which is probably responsible for the ring modulation effect in the song "Boa vs. Python". In an interview they claimed to use the same effects as nu-metal group KoЯn.
For Screening Purposes Only" ( 31 October 2005) #69 UK
Singles and EPs
* "Boa vs. Python" (
1 August 2005) #46 UK
* "Circle. Square. Triangle" (
24 October 2005) #25 UK
* "What's Your Damage?" (
16 January 2006) #31 UK #17 UK indie singles charts [ [http://web.archive.org/web/20060215085235/http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/indiesingles.shtml BBC - Radio 1 - Chart ] ]
* "Boa vs.Python (Grime Remixes) (
27 February 2006)
* "Totally Re-Fucked" (
6 March 2006) #133 UK
Dig Your Own Grave" ( 24 April 2006)
* "4 Track Demo" (July 2004)
* The song "Circle. Square. Triangle" has been re-recorded four times, and features in the trailer of the 2007 comedy, "Hot Rod".
* In 2006 they remixed
Alkaline Trio's single 'Burn' from the album Crimson. The track appears on the CD single.
* [http://www.soundgenerator.com/burner/review_detail.cfm?reviewid=1249 Farewell gig review on Sound Generator]
* [http://www.nme.com/news/test-icicles Coverage in "NME"]
* [http://www.spin.com/features/band_of_the_day/2005/11/051102_test_icicles/ "Band of the Day: Test Icicles"] , "Spin",
2 November 2005
* [http://ixfm.fimc.net/news/2006/test-icicles-live-on-music-response Interview on XFM]
* [http://punkcast.com/836/ PUNKCAST #836] - video of Test Icicles' first U.S. show at
Sin-é, New York City, on 15 September 2005
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnkwlvnRoLY YouTube] - Circle Square Triangle music video
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4xR8W3nE-M YouTube] - What's Your Damage music video
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr5YbS5LVrw YouTube] - Test Icicles' mock performance on a German TV station
* [http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/collective/A6237489 BBC] - Test Icicles session video and interview
* [http://3voor12.vpro.nl/speler/ondemand/24783984 3voor12] - Boa vs. Python live at London Calling
* [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ey469peWBw YouTube] demon(sic) Insanity Problem music video
* [http://www.myspace.com/intensedudesrip INTENSEDUDES MySpace]
* [http://www.myspace.com/slappedwrists Official RAT:ATT:AGG MySpace]
* [http://www.myspace.com/kasms Official KASMs MySpace]
* [http://www.myspace.com/lightspeedchampion Official Lightspeed Champion MySpace]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Test Icicles — Allgemeine Informationen Genre(s) Hardcore Punk, Dance Punk Gründung 2004 Auflösung 2006 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Rory Attwell — Infobox musical artist Name = Rory Attwell Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = solo singer Birth name = Rory Attwell Alias = Raary Decihells, Rory Bratwell, R.O.R.Y. (Result Of Reckless Youth), Admiral Lord Horatio Deci hells. Born =… … Wikipedia
Sam Mehran — Infobox musical artist Name = Sam Mehran Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = solo singer Birth name = Sam Mehran Alias = Sam E Danger, Sam E Slaughter, Sam E Firehazard Born = 1986 Died = Origin = United States Instrument = vocals,… … Wikipedia
For Screening Purposes Only — Infobox Album Name = For Screening Purposes Only Type = Album Artist = Test Icicles Released = 31 October 2005 Recorded = 2005 Genre = Dance punk Post hardcore Length = 55:06 Label = Domino (UK) Producer = James Ford, Simian Reviews = *Allmusic… … Wikipedia
Dig Your Own Grave — EP by Test Icicles Released 24 April 2006 … Wikipedia
NLS Crew — Genres Hip Hop Crunk Thrash metal Electro Years active 2005–2006 Associated acts Test Icicles Lightspeed Champion Naked Babes Balls Das Meat The Red in Sophie Loren Man … Wikipedia
Circle. Square. Triangle — Single by Test Icicles from the album For Screening Purposes Only … Wikipedia
Alan Braxe — Infobox musical artist Name = Alan Braxe Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = group or band Alias = Origin = Brax, France Genre = House Electro Techno Years active = 1998 present Label = Vulture Music (France) Associated acts = Fred… … Wikipedia
New York Noise — Genre Indie rock Music Television Format Music Video Series Created by Shirley Braha … Wikipedia
James Ford (musician) — Infobox musical artist 2 Name = James Ford Background = music producer Img capt = James Shaw and James Ford Origin = Leek, England Years active = 2005 present Associated acts = Simian Mobile Disco, Klaxons, Arctic Monkeys, Mystery Jets, The Last… … Wikipedia