- Neal Ascherson
He was born in Edinburgh and educated at Eton and King's College, Cambridge, where he read history. He was described by the historian Eric Hobsbawm as "perhaps the most brilliant student I ever had. I didn't really teach him much, I just let him get on with it."
Neal Ascherson is married to fellow journalist Isabel Hilton. They currently live in London with their two children, Iona and Alexander.
After graduating with a starred First, he declined offers to pursue an academic career. Instead, he chose a career in journalism, first at the Manchester Guardian and then at The Scotsman (1959–1960), The Observer (1960–1990) and the Independent on Sunday (1990–1998). He contributed scripts for the 1974 documentary series World at War and the 1998 series The Cold War. In recent years, he has also been a regular contributor to the London Review of Books.
As of 2008[update] Ascherson is a Visiting Professor at the Institute of Archaeology, University College London. He has been editor of Public Archaeology, an academic journal associated with UCL devoted to CRM and public archaeology issues and developments, since its inception in 1999.
- The King Incorporated. 1963. ISBN 1-86207-290-6.
- The Polish August : the self-limiting revolution. 1981. ISBN 0-670-56305-6.
- The Book of Lech Wałęsa. 1982. ISBN 0-671-45684-9.
- (1983) The Spanish Civil War (Granada Television serial script)
- The Nazi Legacy. 1984. ISBN 0-03-069303-9. with Magnus Linklater and Isabel Hilton
- The Struggles For Poland. 1987. ISBN 0-7181-2812-5.
- Games With Shadows. 1988. ISBN 0-09-173019-8.
- Black Sea. 1995. ISBN 0-8090-3043-8.
- Stone Voices: the search for Scotland. 2002. ISBN 0-8090-8491-0.
- Opposition to Turkey's Ilisu Dam rises again with Maggie Ronayne, published 27 November 2007, chinadialogue
- ^ "Neal Ascherson". Spartacus Schoolnet. 2003. http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/Jascherson.htm. Retrieved February 17, 2006.
- ^ Nicholas Wroe "Romantic nationalist", The Guardian, 12 April 2003. Retrieved on 16 April 2007.
- ^ "UK writer Neal Ascherson discusses NATO, EU on Prague visit". Radio Prague. 2004. http://www.radio.cz/en/article/53851. Retrieved May 13, 2004.
- ^ "Neal Ascherson - fascinating memories of the Soviet invasion and much more". Radio Prague. 2004. http://www.radio.cz/en/article/54735. Retrieved June 8, 2004.
- ^ "Emeritus and Honorary Staff in 2007 / 2008". Our Staff. UCL Institute of Archaeology. 2008. http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/staff/honoraries.htm. Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- ^ Carman, John (2002). Archaeology and Heritage: An Introduction. London and New York: Continuum International Publishing Group. ISBN 0-8264-5894-7. OCLC 48140490.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ascherson — is the surname of: *Neal Ascherson (born 1932), British journalist *Paul Friedrich August Ascherson (1834 1913), German botanist … Wikipedia
La Guerra Civil Española (serie) — The Spanish Civil War Título La Guerra Civil Española Género Documental Historia Narrado por Frank Finlay País de origen Reino Unido Duración 55 min. c/e. Idioma/s … Wikipedia Español
David Irving — For other uses, see David Irving (disambiguation). David Irving … Wikipedia
Hemshin peoples — Համշե(ն)ցիներ Hemşinliler A Hemshinli woman in traditional dress. Total population 500,000 700,000 Regions with significant populations … Wikipedia
Pontic Greeks — Infobox Ethnic group group = Pontic Greeks nowrap|Έλληνες του Πόντου (Ρωμιοί) Pontic Greek man population = c. 3,000,000 regions = Greece, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Turkey religions = Greek Orthodox Christianity, Sunni Islam langiages … Wikipedia
Thomas de Waal — is a British journalist, writer and an expert on the Caucasus. He has reported for, amongst others, the BBC World Service, the Moscow Times, and The Times. [Russia bars UK reporter on security grounds by Oliver Bullough ] He is currently a… … Wikipedia
Cultural relationship between the Welsh and the English — The relationship between the Welsh and English within Great Britain is mostly characterised by tolerance, respect, and an intermixing of people and cultures. However, elements of mutual mistrust or dislike, and occasionally overt racism, also… … Wikipedia
Public Archaeology (journal) — Infobox Journal title = Public Archaeology editor = Neal Ascherson discipline = Archaeology and CHM language = English abbreviation = Publ Archaeol publisher = Maney Publishing sponsored by: UCL archaeology country = UK frequency = quarterly… … Wikipedia
Robert Conquest — (links) bei der Verleihung der Freiheitsmedaille zusammen mit Aretha Franklin (Mitte) und Alan Greenspan (rechts) Robert Conquest mit vollem Namen George Robert Ackworth Conquest (* 15. Juli 1917 in Malvern … Deutsch Wikipedia
National Vanguard (Italy) — The National Vanguard (Italian: Avanguardia Nazionale) is a name that has been used for at least two neo fascist groups in Italy. Contents 1 Original group 2 Second group 3 Magazine … Wikipedia