- Electronic Common Technical Document
The electronic Common Technical Document (eCTD) is an interface for the pharmaceutical industry to agency transfer of regulatory information.The content is based on the
Common Technical Document(CTD) format.
It was developed by the International Conference on Harmonisation (ICH) Multidisciplinary Group 2 Expert Working Group (ICH M2 EWG). To date, over 30,000 eCTD sequences have been submitted to the FDA alonecite web
title=FDA, 30,000 eCTDs and Counting!
Pharmaceutical point of view
The eCTD has five modules
* 1 Administrative Information and Prescribing Information
* 2 Common Technical Document Summaries
* 3 Quality
* 4 Nonclinical Study Reports
* 5 Clinical Study Reports
A [http://www.fda.gov/cder/regulatory/ersr/5640CTOC-v1.2.pdf full table of contents] could be quite large.
There are two categories of modules:
* Regional module: 1 (different for each region; i.e., country)
* Common modules: 2-5 (common to all the regions)
The CTD only defines the content of the common modules. The contents of the Regional Module 1 is defined by each of the ICH regions (USA, Europe and Japan).
IT point of view
eCTD (data structure)
The eCTD is a message specification for the transfer of files and metadata from a submitter to a receiver. The primary technical components are:
* A high level folder structure (required
* An XML "backbone" file which provides metadata about content files and lifecycle instructions for the receiving system
* An optional lower level folder structure (recommended folder names are provided in Appendix 4 of the eCTD specification)
* Associated DTDs and stylesheets.
Each submission message constitutes one "sequence". A cumulative eCTD consists of one or more sequences. While a single sequence may be viewed with web browser and the ICH stylesheet provided, viewing a cumulative eCTD requires specialized eCTD viewers.
The top part of the directory structure is as follows:ctd-123456/0000/index.xmlctd-123456/0000/index-md5.txtctd-123456/0000/m1ctd-123456/0000/m2ctd-123456/0000/m3ctd-123456/0000/m4ctd-123456/0000/m5ctd-123456/0000/util
The string ctd-123456/0000 is just an example.
This is the file
index.xmlin the submission sequence number folder.For example:ctd-123456/0000/index.xml
The purpose of this file is twofold:
* Manage meta-data for the entire submission
* Constitute a comprehensive table of contents and provide corresponding navigation aid.
A stylesheet should be included that support the presentation and navigation.They must be placed in the directory:
See entry 377 in Appendix 4.ctd-123456/0000/util/style
DTDs must be placed in the directory:
See entry 371 to 376 in Appendix 4.They must follow a naming convention.ctd-123456/0000/util/dtd
The DTD of the backbone is in Appendix 8.It must be place in the above directory.
Business process (protocol)
The business process to be supported can be described as follows:
Industry <-----> Message <-----> Agency
The lifecycle management is composed at least of:
* Initial submission: should be self-contained.
* Incremental updates: with its sequence number.
Additionally, a variety of software products exist to facilitate viewing and/or creating eCTD publications. Below is a partial list ordered by company names:
* [http://www.datafarminc.com/scubed.php Datafarm sCubed ]
* [http://www.rosettaectd.com/Rosetta/eCTD_software_products.html DoubleBridge ROSETTA Suite of eCTD Software]
* [http://www.ectdoffice.com eCTD Office (NeeS Creator, NeeS Validator, eCTD Builder)]
* [http://www.extedo.us/products/esubmission/ectdmanager.htm Extedo eCTDmanager]
* [http://www.ectd-gecco.com/software.php Extedo Gecco]
* [http://www.globalsubmit.com/ GlobalSubmit]
* [http://www.i4i.com/eCTD.htm i4i's ALiCE eCTD manager]
* [http://www.ibm.com/lifesciences/score IBM Score]
* [http://www.infotehna.com/products-and-solutions/lifescience/ectdexpert Infotehna]
* [http://www.intrasphere.com Intrasphere PharmaCM]
* [http://www.ectdxpress.com ISI eCTDXPress]
* [http://www.isipublisher.com ISIPublisher]
* [http://www.elevate-nordic.com/Products/LifeDoceCTDsubmission.aspx LifeDoc eCTD submission]
* [http://www.docubridge.com Lorenz DocuBridge]
* [http://www.liquent.com Liquent]
* [http://www.medxview.com/products/ectd/composer.htm MedXView eCTDcomposer]
* [http://www.mission3.com Mission3 OnDemand Product Lifecycle Management]
* [http://www.octagonresearch.com/viewpoint.html Octagon Research Solutions- ViewPoint]
* [http://www.pharmaready.com PharmaReady]
* [http://www.qumas.com/solutions/rd.asp QUMAS R&D Solution]
* [http://www.rosettaectd.com/Rosetta/eCTD_software_products.html ROSETTA pyramid - Submission Tracking and Archiving w/ Bulit-in eCTD Viewer]
* [http://www.samarindrms.co.uk/ Samarind RMS]
* [http://www.sarjen.com/knowledgeNET/index.htm Sarjen knowledgeNET]
Clinical Data Interchange Standards Consortium
European Medicines Agency(EMEA)
Food and Drug Administration(FDA)
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare(Japan).
* [http://estri.ich.org/eCTD/eCTD_Specification_v3_2.pdf ICH eCTD Specification V 3.2] (The specification)
* [http://estri.ich.org ICH M2 ESTRI Main]
* [http://www.fda.gov/cder/regulatory/ersr/ectd.htm Electronic Common Technical Document (eCTD)] (FDA)
* [http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/pharmaceuticals/eudralex/homev2.htm EUDRALEX Volume 2 - Pharmaceutical Legislation : Notice to Applicants] (EU legislation, contains section on eCTD)
* [http://www.it-validation.eu IT Pharma Validation Europe] (Organization: CSV Validation Network)
* [http://www.e-CTD.com eCTD Resource Pages] (Web resources sponsored by a commercial eCTD services provider, but strictly vendor-neutral)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Electronic Common Technical Document — eCTD est le sigle d Electronic Common Technical Document et la version électronique du CTD (Common Technical Document), format de dossier de demande d autorisation de mise sur le marché pour un médicament. Le eCTD est le fruit du travail du… … Wikipédia en Français
Common Technical Document — The Common Technical Document (CTD) is a set of specification for application dossier for the registration of Medicines and designed to be used across Europe, Japan and the United States. It was developed by the European Medicines Agency (EMA,… … Wikipedia
Technical communication — is the process of conveying usable information through writing or speech about a specific domain to an intended audience. Information is usable if the intended audience is able to perform an action or make a decision based on its contents… … Wikipedia
Common Source Data Base — Technical documentation is used in many areas of the everyday life. Nearly everything has to be provided with at minimum a drawing including a few locators. The product liability and many other issues regarding consumer protection have to be… … Wikipedia
Electronic business — Electronic business, commonly referred to as eBusiness or e business , or an internet business, may be defined as the application of information and communication technologies (ICT) in support of all the activities of business. Commerce… … Wikipedia
Electronic discovery — Electronic discovery, or e discovery , refers to discovery in civil litigation which deals with information in electronic format also referred to as Electronically Stored Information ESI . In this context, electronic form is the representation of … Wikipedia
Technical drawing — Drafter at work … Wikipedia
Electronic signature — The term electronic signature has several meanings. Among the more expansive is that given by US law, influenced by ABA committee white papers and the uniform law promulgated by the National Conference of Commissioners on Uniform State Laws… … Wikipedia
Common External Power Supply — In 2009 several government, consumer and industry initiatives resulted in the European Union s definition of a common External Power Supply (EPS) for use with data enabled mobile phones sold in the EU. An external power supply is the AC power… … Wikipedia
Common Access Card — An example DoD Common Access Card The Common Access Card (CAC) is a United States Department of Defense (DoD) smart card issued as standard identification for active duty military personnel, reserve personnel, civilian employees, other non DoD… … Wikipedia