- Bob Mayer
Bob Mayer Born 1959
Bronx, New York
Pen name Joe Dalton, Robert Doherty, Greg Donegan, Bob McGuire Occupation Novelist Nationality American Period 1991-present Genres Thriller, Science Fiction
Robert "Bob" Mayer (born 1959) is an author, writing instructor, and former Green Beret. He has written over 30 titles under his name and his four pen names (Joe Dalton, Robert Doherty, Greg Donegan, and Bob McGuire). Mayer has applied the principles from his training in the special forces to his career as a writer and as a writing instructor. He has written several motivational books, including Who Dares Wins: Special Operations Tactics For Success.
Bob Mayer and novelist Jennifer Talty have created a publishing company called "Who Dares Wins Publishing" . It serves to re-publish his back list of novels and for his future fiction and non-fiction releases along with releases from Jennifer Talty and other authors. The company sells books in paperback and ebook form.
In the army, Mayer was an infantryman and a Green Beret, serving with recon and special forces teams. He later went on to become a writer and instructor at the JFK Special Warfare Center & School at Fort Bragg.
Mayer has published 33 titles under his name and his four pen names. He has sold over 6 million books. He written several thriller and scifi books that build on his experience in the special forces as well as on the traditions of mythology and ancient cultures. His Area 51 series is still in print and sought after by fans of spy thrillers and scifi.
In September 2004, Mayer met romance novelist Jennifer Crusie at a writer's conference in Maui. The pair decided to collaborate on a series of military-themed romance novels. The collaboration takes place over email, with Mayer writing scenes from the male perspective and Crusie writing those that involve the female perspective. Their first joint novel, Don’t Look Down, was published in April 2006.
In addition to his writing career, Mayer is a frequent speaker at writers' conferences and holds workshops and seminars on leadership tactics based on his Green Beret training
- The Novel Writer's Toolkit (2003) ISBN 1-58297-320-2
- Who Dares Wins: Special Operations Tactics For Success
- The Green Beret Way: Special Forces Tactics That Take You From Ordinary to Elite
- The Rock (1995) ISBN 0-440-22072-6 (reissue) first book under the Robert Doherty pen name
- Eyes of the Hammer (1994) ISBN 0-312-92862-9 The first Dave Riley novel
- Cut Out: A Dave Riley Novel (1995) ISBN 0-89141-508-4 The third Dave Riley novel
- Eternity Base (1996) ISBN 0-89141-509-2 The forth Dave Riley novel
- Z: A Dave Riley Novel (1996) ISBN 0-89141-510-6 The fifth Dave Riley novel
- Dragon Sim-13 (2004) ISBN 0-7592-3980-0
- Psychic Warrior (2001) ISBN 0-440-23626-6 and Psychic Warrior: Project Aura written as Robert Doherty
- Synbat (2004) ISBN 0-7592-5345-5 The second Dave Riley novel
- Bodyguard of Lies (2005) ISBN 0-7653-1126-7 (hardcover) Two women find themselves fighting for survival and the safety of their country.
- Lost Girls (2007) ISBN 0765311275 (hardcover) writing as Robert Doherty, follow up to Bodyguard of Lies
- Chasing the Ghost (2010) ISBN 193571208X (paperback) First new fiction published under his "Who Dares Wins Publishing" company.
Area 51 relates to humanity encountering aliens, and the trials that ensue. Written using the pen name "Robert Doherty":
- Area 51 (1997) ISBN 0-440-22073-4 In the first book of the series it is established that during the 1940s several atmospheric crafts of unknown origin were discovered in the Antarctic and the U.S. government established Area 51 to study the technology. In the 1990s, several of the book characters, including Scientist Lisa Duncan and Special Forces officer Mike Turcotte, are drawn to Area 51 at the same time and they must unlock the secret of the ship to save mankind.
- Area 51: The Reply (1998) ISBN 0-440-22073-4 The secrets of the alien craft extend beyond Area 51 from Egypt's Pyramids to the mysterious face on Mars
- Area 51: The Mission (1999) ISBN 0-440-22381-4 From a place hidden in the Amazon rain forest, comes a deadly virus that threatens the world.
- Area 51: The Sphinx (2000) ISBN 0-440-23494-8 Someone has unlocked the secret of the Sphinx and using the alien technology found there, they threaten to deploy a nuclear missile.
- Area 51: The Grail (2001) ISBN 0-440-23495-6 Area 51 personnel are searching for the Holy Grail, an ancient artifact that might unlock further secrets of the alien technology and save the world.
- Area 51: Excalibur (2002) ISBN 0-440-23705-X
- Area 51: The Truth (2003) ISBN 0-440-23706-8 Turcotte discovers the origins of man and why the aliens came to earth to begin with.
- Area 51: Nosferatu (2003) ISBN 0-440-23724-6 The undead creatures who have inhabited the earth are now armed with modern tools of destruction, and they know that it is time to follow their leader, Nosferatu, to take over the world.
- Area 51: Legend (2004) ISBN 0-440-23725-4 From another planet, two humans who have already successfully led a revolt against the deathless alien race, are on their way to planet called Earth for a final show down.
This series relates to an interdimensional battle to save all earths from a transdimensional race bent on stealing resources from other worlds, and destroying them in the process. They all start by destroying one place in particular.
Written using pen name Greg Donegan.
- Atlantis (June 1999) ISBN 0-425-16936-7
- Atlantis: Bermuda Triangle (May 1, 2000) ISBN 0-425-17429-8
- Atlantis: Devil's Sea (February 2001) ISBN 0-425-17859-5
- Atlantis: Gate (August 2002) ISBN 0-425-18572-9
- Assault on Atlantis (October 2003) ISBN 0-515-13630-1
- Battle For Atlantis (February 2004) ISBN 0-425-19453-1
Jim Vaughan series
- Section 8 (2005) ISBN 0-06-073583-X writing as Robert Doherty
- The Citadel (2007) ISBN 0060735856 writing as Robert Doherty
- Don't Look Down (with Jennifer Crusie) (2006) ISBN 0-312-34812-6 This first collaboration between best-selling romance writer Crusie and adventure-thriller writer Mayer combines romance and suspense. Movie director, Lucy, got more than she bargained for when she agrees to complete a movie as a favor for her ex-husband after the first director dies. Lucy finds herself relying on and working with J.T. Wilder, a stunt consultant and special forces operative, to help her save her movie, her sister and her niece.
- ^ a b c Brumback, Kate (July 28, 2006), Romance Writers Changing Plots, Fox News, http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Jul28/0,4670,RomanceWriters,00.html, retrieved February 1, 2010
- ^ Quamme, Margaret (July 6, 2009), "Latest romance twists a classic", Columbus Dispatch, http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/life/stories/2009/07/06/1A_CRUSIE_Q_A.ART_ART_07-06-09_D1_PUEBHIB.html?sid=101, retrieved February 1, 2010
- ^ a b Smith, Pohla (April 21, 2006), "Mystery Lovers festival promises intrigue", Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06111/683873-44.stm, retrieved February 1, 2010
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Bob McGuire — may refer to: *Pen name of Bob Mayer *Misspelling of Father Bob Maguire … Wikipedia
Mayer — Contents 1 Surnames 2 Given names 3 Places 4 Companies … Wikipedia
Mayer, Minnesota — City … Wikipedia
Bob Hunter (Desperate Housewives) — Bob Hunter Personnage de fiction apparaissant dans Desperate Housewives … Wikipédia en Français
Bob y Lee (Desperate Housewives) — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Contenido 1 Lee McDermott 1.1 Historia 1.2 Cuarta Temporada 1.3 Quinta Temporada … Wikipedia Español
Bob Gruen — (born 1945) is an American photographer known for his rock n roll photographs. Bob Gruen is one of the most well known and respected photographers in rock and roll. From Muddy Waters to the Rolling Stones; Elvis to Madonna; Bob Dylan to Bob… … Wikipedia
Mayer State Park — View east from the Rowena Crest Overlook … Wikipedia
Bob Straub State Park — IUCN Category V (Protected Landscape/Seascape) … Wikipedia
Bob Reynolds (jazz) — Bob Reynolds is a jazz tenor saxophonist. Born in Morristown, New Jersey, his family moved to Jacksonville, Florida. He started playing saxophone at age 13 and attended high school at Douglas Anderson School of the Arts with a well known jazz… … Wikipedia
Bob Newhart — Infobox Comedian name = Bob Newhart imagesize = caption = Bob Newhart, September 1987 pseudonym = birth name = George Robert Newhart birth date = birth date and age|1929|9|5 birth place = Oak Park, Illinois, United States death date = death place … Wikipedia