Infobox musical artist
Name = Semisonic
Img_capt = A basement concert on July 26, 2006
Background = group_or_band
Origin = flagicon|USA Minneapolis,
Alternative rock Pop rock
Years_active = 1995–2001 (Currently On Hiatus)
Label = MCA
URL = http://www.semisonic.com/
Current_members = Dan Wilson
John Munson Jacob Slichter
Semisonic is an
alternative rockband formed in Minneapolis, Minnesotain 1995(see 1995 in music). The band consists of three members: Dan Wilson (lead vocals, guitar), John Munson( bass guitar, backing vocals, keyboard), and Jacob Slichter(drums, percussion, keyboard).
After the breakup of
Trip Shakespeare, Dan Wilson and John Munson joined up with drummer Jacob Slichter to form Semisonic in 1995. An EP, "Pleasure", was released that year on Boston indie label CherryDisc, and the studio full-length "Great Divide" in 1996on MCA.
Semisonic's breakthrough came two years later in
1998when their second album, " Feeling Strangely Fine", reached the Top 50 chart on the strength of the hit single "Closing Time", their biggest hit in the United States.
Their international career also blossomed when another song from the album, "Secret Smile", quickly became a UK radio favorite in the summer of
1999, eventually peaking at #13 on the official UK Singles Chart.
2001, the band released its third album, " All About Chemistry". The single "Chemistry" was a mainstay overseas; however, the album didn't fare as well in the United States. Another song, " Over My Head", was used in the 2001 teen flick " Summer Catch", and Semisonic rode the wave of various tours in and around the UK. In the fall of 2001, Semisonic contributed their cover of the Wings classic, "Jet", for the Paul McCartneytribute CD, " Listen to What the Man Said".
Although not officially broken up, Semisonic has been on a partial
hiatussince 2001, as band members pursued other projects, such as Slichter's writing career and Wilson's solo recordings. Semisonic also performed at First Avenueon December 12 and 13, 2003, and for the Minneapolis Aquatennialon July 14, 2006. They are scheduled to perform on September 20, 2008, at the River Rocks Festival in Saint Paul, Minnesota. [ [http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/music/26156839.html StarTribune.com] - August 2, 2008]
* 2003: "One Night at First Avenue"
oundtracks & Compilations
* Semisonic performed "
Sugar, Sugar" with Mary Lou Lordon the 1995 tribute album " Saturday Morning".
* The song "F.N.T." was used in the
1996movie " The Long Kiss Goodnight". "F.N.T." was also used in the 1999movie " 10 Things I Hate about You".
* In 1998, Semisonic's hit song "Closing Time" was featured on the charitable album "Live In The X Lounge."
* In 1998, "Closing Time" was heard right before the credits in the final episode of Melrose Place.
* "Never You Mind" appeared on the " Never Been Kissed - Original Motion Picture Soundtrack" in 1999.
* "Delicious" appeared on "Friends Again - Original TV Soundtrack" in 1999.
* "Delicious" was used in the end of the Friends' Episode
* Dan Wilson with
Bic Rungacontributed "Good Morning Baby" to the "American Pie" soundtrack in 1999.
* They contributed a previously unreleased song, "For The Love Of The Game," to the 1999 Kevin Costner movie "For Love Of The Game".
* "Over My Head" was used in the
2001movie Summer Catch.
* "Chemistry" appeared on the "
40 Days and 40 Nights" soundtrack in 2002.
* "Closing Time" intro is briefly heard in the
* "Secret Smile" appeared on
Dawson's Creekepisode "Full Moon Rising"
* "Secret Smile" again appeared on
Charmedepisode " Dead Man Dating"
* "Secret Smile" was used in a commercial for the
Sony Cyber-shotrange of digital cameras in 2007.
* Elements from "Secret Smile" were used as elements for
High School Musical's Breaking Free.
* "Made to Last" was used in a commercial for
* "Closing Time" was used in an Episode of
The Simpsonsentitled That 90's Show
* "Closing Time" was used in the Warren Miller Film "Freeriders" in 1999.
Other projects by members
Dan Wilson took time out to do some solo projects and play tour dates around the Midwest in December. Munson joined up with Wilson's brother and former Trip Shakespeare frontman Matt Wilson to form a side project,
The Flops, in 2001, though they were expected to make a final performance in early 2005.
2004, Jacob Slichter's book "So You Wanna Be a Rock & Roll Star" (ISBN 0-7679-1470-8) was published, detailing some of the experiences the group had while touring and attempting to get airplay on radio stations across the US.
In late spring of 2005, John Munson began playing in a new trio, "
The New Standards" featuring Chan Poling (of The Suburbs) and Steve Roehm.
On October 16,
2007Rick Rubin's label American Recordingsreleased Dan Wilson's solo album, "Free Life", featuring collaborations with numerous artists including John Munson and Jacob Slichter. The song "Cry" was the album's single.
Notes and references
* [http://www.semisonic.com/ Official website]
* [http://www.npr.org/rundowns/segment.php?wfId=3847612 NPR: Drummer's Book Takes Shine off Rock-Star Life] – interview with Jacob Slichter about his book on the music industry
* [http://www.citypages.com/databank/25/1229/article12239.asp "City Pages": Radio Killed the Rock & Roll Stars] – book excerpt
* [http://cecilvortex.com/swath/2007/11/01/an_interview_with_dan_wilson_part_one.html Semisonic's Dan Wilson on creativity and the creative process, an interview with about-creativity.com
November 1, 2007]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Semisonic — en concert en juillet 2006 Pays d’origine … Wikipédia en Français
Chemistry (Semisonic song) — Chemistry Single by Semisonic from the album All About Chemistry Released 2001 Format Compact Disc Recorde … Wikipedia
Closing Time (Semisonic song) — Closing Time Single by Semisonic from the album Feeling Strangely Fine Released … Wikipedia
Secret Smile (Semisonic song) — Secret Smile is a song by the alternative rock band Semisonic released in 1999.It quickly became a UK radio favourite in the summer of 1999, eventually peaking at #13 on the official UK Singles Chart. It is still played (as of 2006) regularly on… … Wikipedia
Dan Wilson (musician) — For other people named Daniel Wilson, see Daniel Wilson (disambiguation). Dan Wilson Background information Born 20 May 1961 (1961 05 20) … Wikipedia
Feeling Strangely Fine — Studio album by Semisonic Released March 24 … Wikipedia
Great Divide (album) — Great Divide Studio album by Semisonic Released April, 1996 … Wikipedia
All About Chemistry — Album par Semisonic Sortie 13 mars 2001 Enregistrement 2001 Durée 51min 41 Genre Rock Producteur … Wikipédia en Français
All about Chemistry — Album par Semisonic Sortie 13 mars 2001 Enregistrement 2001 Durée 51min 41 Genre(s) Rock Producteur(s) … Wikipédia en Français
All about chemistry — Album par Semisonic Sortie 13 mars 2001 Enregistrement 2001 Durée 51min 41 Genre(s) Rock Producteur(s) … Wikipédia en Français