- National Historic Landmark
A National Historic Landmark (NHL) is a building, site, structure, object, or district, that is officially recognized by the United States government for its historical significance. Out of more than 80,000 places on the National Register of Historic Places only about 2,430 are NHLs.
A National Historic Landmark District (NHLD) is a historic district that is recognized as an NHL. It may include contributing properties that have buildings, structures, sites or objects, and it may include non-contributing properties.
On October 9, 1960, 92 properties were announced as designated NHLs by Secretary of the Interior Fred Andrew Seaton. The first of these was a political nomination, Sergeant Floyd Grave and Monument in Sioux City, Iowa as officially designated on June 30 of that year, but for various reasons the public announcement of the first several NHLs was delayed.
NHLs are designated by the United States Secretary of the Interior because they are:
- Sites where events of national historical significance occurred;
- Places where prominent persons lived or worked;
- Icons of ideals that shaped the nation;
- Outstanding examples of design or construction;
- Places characterizing a way of life; or
- Archeological sites able to yield information.
Overview of current NHLs
Of the 2,442 or so current NHLs, 3 states, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and New York account for nearly 25 percent of the nation's NHLs. In addition to these states, cities within these states, Boston, Philadelphia, and New York City (each separately) alone have more NHLs than 40 out of the 50 states. There are NHLs in all 50 states. There are 74 in the District of Columbia, 15 in Puerto Rico and other U.S. commonwealths and territories, five in U.S.-associated states such as Micronesia, and one in Morocco.
There are 128 ships or shipwrecks that are NHLs.
About half of the National Historic Landmarks are privately owned. The National Historic Landmarks Program relies on suggestions for new designations from the National Park Service, which also assists in maintaining the landmarks. A friends' group of owners and managers, the National Historic Landmark Stewards Association, works to preserve, protect and promote National Historic Landmarks.
- American Water Landmark
- List of National Historic Landmarks by state
- List of National Register of Historic Places entries
- Listed building, a similar designation in the UK
- National Natural Landmark
- United States Memorials
- ^ National Park Service (November 2007). "National Historic Landmarks Survey: List of National Historic Landmarks by State" (PDF). http://www.cr.nps.gov/nhl/designations/Lists/LIST07.pdf. Retrieved 2008-07-01
- ^ The counts and locations of NHLs are described most accurately in List of National Historic Landmarks by state. This extends, and corrects errors from, the National Park Service's "National Historic Landmarks Survey List of National Historic Landmarks by State", also referenced.
- ^ National Historic Landmarks Update, National Park Service, October 2004
- ^ "Title 36 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 65". US Government Printing Office. http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_98/36cfr65_98.html. Retrieved 2008-04-05.
- National Historic Landmarks Program Official website
- National Historic Landmarks: Archaeological Properties
U.S. National Register of Historic Places Topics Lists by statesAlabama • Alaska • Arizona • Arkansas • California • Colorado • Connecticut • Delaware • Florida • Georgia • Hawaii • Idaho • Illinois • Indiana • Iowa • Kansas • Kentucky • Louisiana • Maine • Maryland • Massachusetts • Michigan • Minnesota • Mississippi • Missouri • Montana • Nebraska • Nevada • New Hampshire • New Jersey • New Mexico • New York • North Carolina • North Dakota • Ohio • Oklahoma • Oregon • Pennsylvania • Rhode Island • South Carolina • South Dakota • Tennessee • Texas • Utah • Vermont • Virginia • Washington • West Virginia • Wisconsin • Wyoming Lists by territories Lists by associated states Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
National Historic Landmark — Historic Landmark auf Pearl Harbor National Historic Landmarks (NHL) sind Stätten in den Vereinigten Staaten, die vom Innenministerium als besonders bedeutend eingestuft wurden, weil sie Ort eines wichtigen Ereignisses der amerikanischen… … Deutsch Wikipedia
National Historic Landmark — Cet article concerne les lieux historiques aux États Unis. Pour une notion analogue dans les autres pays, voir Monument historique. Aux États Unis, un National Historic Landmark (site historique national) est un lieu officiellement considéré… … Wikipédia en Français
Medicine Wheel/Medicine Mountain National Historic Landmark — U.S. National Register of Historic Places U.S. National Historic Landmark … Wikipedia
Green Springs National Historic Landmark District — Infobox protected area | name = Green Springs National Historic Landmark District iucn category = V caption = Bracketts, located in the Green Springs District location = Louisa County, Virginia, USA nearest city = Charlottesville, Virginia lat… … Wikipedia
Wagon Mound National Historic Landmark — Infobox nrhp | name =Wagon Mound nrhp type = nhl caption = nearest city= Wagon Mound, New Mexico lat degrees = 36 lat minutes = 0 lat seconds = 39 lat direction = N long degrees = 104 long minutes = 42 long seconds = 10 long direction = W… … Wikipedia
Lawrenceville School National Historic Landmark — Infobox nrhp | name =Lawrenceville School nrhp type = nhld caption = location= Main Street, Lawrenceville, New Jersey lat degrees = 40 lat minutes = 17 lat seconds = 45 lat direction = N long degrees = 74 long minutes = 43 long seconds = 49 long… … Wikipedia
Medicine Wheel National Historic Landmark — Infobox nrhp | name =Medicine Wheel nrhp type = nhl caption = The Medicine Wheel in Big Horn County, Wyoming, USA nearest city= Kane, Wyoming locmapin = Wyoming area = architect= architecture= designated= August 29, 1970cite web|url=http://tps.cr … Wikipedia
Pictograph Cave National Historic Landmark — Infobox nrhp | name =Pictograph Cave nrhp type = nhl caption = nearest city= Billings, Montana locmapin = Montana area = architect= architecture= designated= July 19, 1964cite web|url=http://tps.cr.nps.gov/nhl/detail.cfm?ResourceId=307… … Wikipedia
Strand National Historic Landmark District — Infobox nrhp name = Strand National Historic Landmark District nrhp type = nhld caption = The Strand location = Galveston, Texas USA lat degrees = lat minutes = lat seconds = lat direction = long degrees = long minutes = long seconds = long… … Wikipedia
Bethania National Historic Landmark — Bethania DEC … Deutsch Wikipedia