- Cabasse (company)
company_name = Cabasse
company_type = Private
location = Brest
homepage = [http://www.cabasse.com www.cabasse.com]
Cabasse is a French audio manufacturer founded by Georges Cabasse in 1950. It is mainly known for its home
loudspeakersbut has also produced professional audiospeakers for studio recording or sound reinforcement in theatres and power amplifiers.
* 1950 : Foundation.
* 1952 : First 2-way coaxial units for
Cinemascopemovie theatres like Le Grand Rexin Paris.
* 1958 : First active loudspeakers systems with valve amplifiers and filters.
* 1965 : Underwater loudspeakers for the French Navy.
* 1974 : Dome tweeters and midranges, servo-controlled active Hi-Fi and monitor loudspeakers (used by
* 1983 :
Honeycombdome membranes for Hi-Fi and Public Addresssystems, from 7" to 22".
* 1984 : Carbo high-efficiency units for the 4 way clusters fitting the 12-channel system at the Omnimax theatre
La Géode" in Parc de la Villette, Paris.
* 1985 : Duocell membranes based on an exclusive processing of Rohacell foam.
* 1992 : The SCS principle (Spatially Coherent System) launched with the Atlantis reference system (4 channel and 5 speakers : 2 woofers and a 3 way coaxial speaker called TC21 that goes from 200 Hz to 20 kHz).
* 1998 : Fitting of the Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier with specific 117 dB efficiency horn systems.
* 2002 : The TC22 reference 3 way coaxial unit, that goes from 80 Hz to 20 kHz.
* 2006 : "La Sphere", a 4 way coaxial unit is launched.
* 2006 : Cabasse is bought by Canon Europe and will be lead by Kazuhiro Otsubo, president of the Canon factory in
Notable products and technologies
Cabasse is one of the oldest loudspeakers manufacturer in France, and is known for its involvement in research, its high standard of quality, and the names of their products that used to be related to sea (especially boat names like clipper, sampan, ketch, sloop...)
In the eighties their reputation came from their professional active speakers (often used by recording studios) and the
honeycombmembranes that allowed high power with low distortion. These membranes were used by the very small "Galliote" (home hi-fi) and the huge "Saturn", a subwoofer for theatres, fitted with a 22 inches unit. They also used to perform astounding comparisons between live sound and speakers sound and therefore focused their goals on high dynamics (for real sound pressure levels), high efficiency and low distortion levels.
La Géodewas inaugurated, and it remains the only 12-channel Omnimax in the world. For special low frequency effects, 4 giant subwoofers (100 cubic feet for 2000 lb) fitted with 2 x 22 inches honeycomb membranes complement this 12.1 system.
In the nineties, Cabasse started to work on
coaxialunits in order to reduce directivity through spherical wavefront. This is their "Spatially Coherent System" principle. It was implemented through the TC21, a 3-way coaxial unit whose bandwidth goes from 200 Hz to 20 kHz with an 30° off-axis response very close to the on-axis response.
At the beginning of 2006 they unveiled a high-end 4-way unit and presented the theoric approach in a paper at the
Audio Engineering Society. This system, released in 2007, is called La Sphère and consists of two spheric coaxial speakers, a filter and four power amplifiers.
* [http://www.cabasse.com Cabasse Official Website]
* [http://www.cabasse.com/english/acoustique/scs.php Overview of SCS goals and principle]
* [http://www.cabasse.com/french/documents/aespaper.pdf AES paper (october 2005) : theory and advantages of a 3 ways co-axial loudspeaker]
* [http://www.cabasse.com/french/documents/paper120.pdf AES paper (may 2006) : directivity control of a 3 ways co-axial loudspeaker thanks to a DSP]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cabasse — may mean: * Cabasse (company), a manufacturer of high end loudspeakers, based in western France * Cabasse, Var, a commune of the Var département in southeastern France … Wikipedia
Canon (entreprise) — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Canon. Canon Logo de Canon (entreprise) … Wikipédia en Français
Canon Bretagne — Canon Inc. Pour les articles homonymes, voir Canon. Logo de Canon Inc. Cr … Wikipédia en Français
Canon Inc. — Canon Inc. Pour les articles homonymes, voir Canon. Logo de Canon Inc. Cr … Wikipédia en Français
Tannoy — Ltd is a British manufacturer of loudspeakers and public address (PA) systems. The company was founded as Tulsemere Manufacturing Company in London in 1926.The name Tannoy is a syllabic abbreviation of tantalum alloy, which was the material used… … Wikipedia
Digital do MaiN — デジタルドメイン株式会社 Type Private Industry Audio electronics Founder(s) … Wikipedia
Loudspeaker — For other uses, see Loudspeaker (disambiguation). An inexpensive, low fidelity 3½ inch speaker, typically found in small radios … Wikipedia
Le Livre des snobs — The Book of Snobs Le Livre des snobs (W. M. Thackeray, The Book of Snobs) Première de couverture de l édition originale … Wikipédia en Français
Harman International — Création 1980 (Washington, D.C.) Dates clés … Wikipédia en Français
Harman Kardon — Harman International Harman International Création 1980 (Washington, D.C.) Dates clés … Wikipédia en Français