- City of Brimbank
City of Brimbank
Map of Melbourne showing City of Brimbank
Population: 168,215 (2006)  Established: 1994 Area: 123.3 km² (47.6 sq mi) Mayor: replaced by chair of administrators: Peter Lewinsky Council Seat: Sunshine Region: West Metropolitan Melbourne Federal Division: Gorton, Maribyrnong LGAs around City of Brimbank: Hume Hume Hume Melton City of Brimbank Maribyrnong, Moonee Valley Wyndham Wyndham Hobsons Bay
The City of Brimbank is a Local Government Area located within the metropolitan area of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. It comprises the western suburbs between 10 and 20 km west and northwest from the Melbourne city centre.
It has an area of 123 km². At the 2006 census, Brimbank had a population of 168,215.
Brimbank City Council acknowledges the traditional custodians of this land, the Wurundjeri people, and pay their respects to their elders past and present.
The Wurundjeri people have been the custodians of the land in the Port Phillip Bay region, including the current City of Brimbank, for over 40,000 years before European settlement. Brimbank lies within the area occupied by the Kurung-Jang-Balluk and Marin-Balluk clans of the Wurundjeri people (also known as the Woiwurung language group) who form part of the larger Kulin Nation. Other groups who occupied land in the area include the Yalukit-Willam and Marpeang-Bulluk clans.
Brimbank was founded on 15 December 1994 during the amalgamations of local councils by the Kennett Liberal government, being formed out of the former cities of Keilor and Sunshine. It was named after Brimbank Park in Keilor, which itself was named for the practice of local farmers driving livestock "around the brim of the bank" of the Maribyrnong River.
Wards and Councillors
The Local Government Act to dismiss Council was passed by the Victorian Parliament on 12 November 2009.
Minister for Local Government Richard Wynne appointed Mr Peter Lewinsky, Ms Joanne Anderson AM and Ms Meredith Sussex as the Administrators for Council over the next three years. 
- Grasslands Ward (includes the suburbs of Albanvale, Cairnlea, Kings Park, Deer Park and St Albans West) with 3 councillors
- Harvester Ward (includes the suburbs of Albion, Ardeer, Brooklyn, Derrimut, Sunshine, Sunshine North and Sunshine West) with 3 councillors
- Horseshoe Bend Ward (includes the suburbs of Keilor Park, Keilor East, Kealba, Tullamarine, St Albans East, Keilor and Tullamarine) with 2 councillors
- Taylors Ward (includes the suburbs of Calder Park, Keilor North, Keilor Lodge, Keilor Downs, Taylors Lakes, Delahey, Sydenham and Hillside) with 3 councillors.
- Cr Troy Atanasovski (2009)
- Cr Sam David (2008)
- Cr Margaret Giudice (2007)
- Cr Natalie Suleyman (2006)
- Cr Natalie Suleyman (2005)
- Cr Sam David (2004)
- Brooklyn (shared with City of Hobsons Bay)
- Calder Park
- Deer Park
- Hillside (shared with Shire of Melton)
- Keilor Downs
- Keilor East (shared with City of Moonee Valley)
- Keilor Lodge
- Keilor North
- Keilor Park
- Kings Park
- St Albans
- Sunshine see Sunshine Residents and Ratepayers Association)
- Sunshine North
- Sunshine West
- Taylors Lakes
- Tullamarine (shared with City of Hume)
- ^ Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Brimbank (Local Government Area)". 2006 Census QuickStats. http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/ABSNavigation/prenav/LocationSearch?collection=Census&period=2006&areacode=LGA21180&producttype=QuickStats&breadcrumb=PL&action=401. Retrieved 2007-09-26.
- ^ http://www.parkweb.vic.gov.au/1park_display.cfm?park=72
- ^ http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/component/content/article/8736.html
- Official website
- Metlink local public transport map
- City of Brimbank at the Local Government Victoria website
- LGA's map of City of Brimbank
Local Government Areas of Victoria Greater MelbourneInner MelbourneMetropolitanOuter Metropolitan Southwest Central Highlands and Goldfields Goulburn Valley Northeast Gippsland Western District Wimmera The Mallee
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
City of Brimbank — Lage von Brimbank City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Sunshine Fläche: 123 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Brimbank City — City of Brimbank Lage von Brimbank City in Melbourne Gliederung … Deutsch Wikipedia
City of Hume — Victoria Location within Melbourne metropolitan area Population: 147,781 (2006) … Wikipedia
City of Hobsons Bay — Victoria Location within Melbourne metropolitan area Population: 87,486(2009) … Wikipedia
City of Banyule — Lage der Banyule City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Ivanhoe Fläche: 63 … Deutsch Wikipedia
City of Bayside — Lage von Bayside City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Sandringham Fläche: 37 … Deutsch Wikipedia
City of Casey — Lage von Casey City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Narre Warren Fläche: 395 … Deutsch Wikipedia
City of Darebin — Lage von Darebin City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Preston Fläche … Deutsch Wikipedia
City of Frankston — Lage von Frankston City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Frankston Fläche: 131 … Deutsch Wikipedia
City of Glen Eira — Lage von Glen Eira City in Melbourne Basisdaten Bundesstaat: Victoria Hauptort: Caulfield Fläche: 37 … Deutsch Wikipedia