- Cyprus Mines Corporation
The Cyprus Mines Corporation was an early twentieth century American mining company based in Cyprus. In 1914, Charles G. Gunther began prospecting in the Skouriotissa area after reading in ancient books that the island was rich in copper and noticing promising ancient Roman slag heaps in the area. The company was established in 1916 by Colonel Seeley W. Mudd and his son, Harvey Seeley Mudd.
Initially the mine struggled, but eventually obstacles were overcome and the mine produced money. Turkish and Greek Cypriots were hired, and the town of Skouriotissa became a hub because so many miners moved there. The corporation took an old-style, paternalistic attitude towards workers, building a company town around the mine.
The Cyprus Mines Corporation provided copper to Nazi Germany right up until the start of the World War II. Although it is clear they knew they were giving aid to the Nazi military, the owner of the mine claims he didn't want to put the Cypriots out of jobs by cutting sales to Germany. They were, however, disturbed by Hitler's policy of Jewish persecution, and in late 1938, CMC established a relief fund along with their agent to help former business associates get out of Germany.
Long strikes took place in 1948, organized by the Pancyprian Federation of Labour and the Turkish Cypriot trade unions. After extending the initial five-day strike, the union asked for government intervention. The government declared that they could not start an inquiry since wages were not substandard.
One of the operating mines and the company's processing plant fell north of the cease-fire line in Turkish-occupied Cyprus following the Turkish invasion in 1974, whilst the rest of the companies mines were the other side of the Green Line. Given this insurmountable problem, the Cyprus Mines Corporation pulled out of Cyprus and the Mavrovouni mine and processing plant remained in an area not controlled by the government of the Republic of Cyprus.
As in most mines, the tailings, waste left over from processing ore, are a problem, and as of 2006, there are no plans to clean up the tailings. The people of Cyprus are left with neither the income from the mines nor the use of the now polluted land surrounding those mines because they have no way to pay for the cleanup. Local farmers claim that citrus crop yields have been lowered by contaminated dust blowing in. Studies of local fruit have found high heavy metal levels and decreased fruit size and quality. The effect of the mine is a growing issue for Cypriot environmentalists and NGOs.
- In 1979 Cyprus Mines Corporation was acquired by Amoco Corporation. Amoco expanded Cyprus into a diversified worldwide mining company.
- Amoco spun off Cyprus Minerals Company in 1985. In 1986, Cyprus acquired the Sierrita copper and molybdenum mine near Tucson, Arizona.
- In 1993, AMAX merged with the Cyprus Minerals Company to form Cyprus Amax Minerals Company. Cyprus-Amax was the world's leading producer of molybdenum and lithium, and a leading producer of copper and coal. The company had operations in 24 states and on six continents.
- In late 1999, Cyprus Amax Minerals was acquired by Phelps Dodge Corporation, which in turn was acquired by Freeport-McMoRan (NYSE: FCX) in 2007, forming the world's largest copper producer.
- ^ David Sievert Lavender (1962). The story of the Cyprus Mines Corporation. San Marino, CA: Huntington Library. pp. 264. LCCN 61014054.
- ^ David Sievert Lavender. The story of the Cyprus Mines Corporation. pp. 296.
- ^ Fethi Doğan (November 1999). "The environmental and public health problems due to tailing ponds of copper mine in Lefke, Cyprus". Proceeding of the European Union Environmental Policy and the Case of Cyprus Mines. Archived from the original on 2009-10-26. http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http://www.geocities.com/ebildir/fdogan.htm&date=2009-10-25+21:36:54. Retrieved 2007-06-22.
- ^ "Company History: Cyprus Amax Minerals Company". Funding Universe. http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Cyprus-Amax-Minerals-Company-Company-History.html. Retrieved 2007-06-22.
- Pantelis Varnavas (1998). The common labour struggles of Greek and Turkish Cypriots: Events through history. Nicosia: Pancyprian Federation of Labour. ISBN 9963-7677-3-7. http://www.peace-cyprus.org/Memories/Labor/.
- European Union Environmental Policy and Cyprus Mines
- What is CMC?
- Company History: Cyprus Amax Minerals Company
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cyprus Mines Corporation Mineral Railway — Die Cyprus Mines Corporation Mineral Railway war eine Grubenbahn, die verschiedene Kupfergruben verband und zum Abtransport des Kupfers diente. Die Spurweite betrug 762 Millimeter (2 6 ). Sie war in der Gegend von Evrychou mit der Cyprus… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cyprus Government Railway — This article is part of the history of rail transport by country series Cyprus Government Railway System Map Reporting mark CGR Locale Cyprus … Wikipedia
cyprus — /suy preuhs/, n. Obs. cypress2. * * * Cyprus Introduction Cyprus Background: Independence from the UK was approved in 1960 with constitutional guarantees by the Greek Cypriot majority to the Turkish Cypriot minority. In 1974, a Greek sponsored… … Universalium
Cyprus — /suy preuhs/, n. an island republic in the Mediterranean, S of Turkey: formerly a British colony; independent since 1960. 752,808; 3572 sq. mi. (9250 sq. km). Cap.: Nicosia. * * * Cyprus Introduction Cyprus Background: Independence from the UK… … Universalium
Cyprus Amax Zambia — Rechtsform Aktiengesellschaft Sitz (New York) Umsatz US $ Branche Bergbau Cyprus Amax Zambia ist eine Aktiengesellschaft in Sambia. Sie wird an der Börse Lusaka Stock Exchange quotiert, also … Deutsch Wikipedia
Columbia School of Engineering and Applied Science — School of Engineering and Applied Science redirects here. For other uses, see School of Engineering and Applied Science (disambiguation). Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science Established … Wikipedia
Harvey Seeley Mudd — Infobox Person name = Harvey Seeley Mudd caption = birth date = 1888 birth place = Leadville, Colorado death date = 1955 death place = Los Angeles other names = Harvey Mudd known for = eponymous engineering school named in his memory occupation … Wikipedia
List of mining companies — This is an incomplete alphabetical list of mining companies. Contents: Top · 0–9 · A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z A … Wikipedia
Pancyprian Federation of Labour — Infobox Union name= PEO country= Cyprus affiliation= WFTU members= 68,100 full name= Pancyprian Federation of Labour native name= Παγκύπρια Εργατική Ομοσπονδία founded= 1941 current= head= dissolved date= dissolved state= merged into= office=… … Wikipedia
CMC — may refer to: Contents 1 Certifications 2 Christianity 3 Crime 4 … Wikipedia