- Clip-on tie
The clip-on tie is a bow tie or four-in-hand tie which is permanently tied, with a dimple just below the knot, and which is fixed to the front of the shirt collar by a metal clip. Alternately, the tie may have a band around the neck fastened with a hook and eye.
The clip-on tie was reportedly invented on December 13, 1928 in Clinton, Iowa.
Reasons for use
- Tightly tied standard neckties may be a source of irritation and discomfort.
- Some people either do not know how to tie, or do not feel comfortable tying, a standard necktie, and some with disabilities may not be able to.
- Police officers and security guards often wear clip-ons as a precaution against being strangled by a pulled necktie. (With uniform, a tie clip may be used to keep the tie from "flying" in the wind.) A clip-on tie is part of the uniform of the JCB Academy for industrial safety reasons.
- Some schools require clip-on ties as part of their uniform instead of regular ties as this keeps students from loosening them in hot weather.
- A clip-on tie can be put on more quickly than a conventional necktie.
People in white collar occupations are often mocked for wearing a clip-on tie in lieu of a standard necktie, the implication being that refusal to learn how to tie a "proper" tie reflects a wider lack of sophistication. Pre-tied bow ties are especially disliked in formal circles; according to one writer, "The quirky irregularities of a self-tied bow give it personality and flair... while the cookie-cutter precision of a pre-tied model diminishes it to an assembly-line commodity." Because child-sized ties are often clip-ons, some consider clip-ons juvenile. Finally, clip-on ties are generally available in limited styles, sizes, and prints relative to their conventional counterparts.
- ^ Rightreading. December. Retrieved on May 20, 2007
- ^ http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic_Components/Neckwear.htm
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Clip-on — may refer to: Clip on tie, a bow tie or necktie that is fixed to the front of the shirt collar by a metal clip Clip on lens, a dark sunglasses lens that can be clipped onto corrective eyewear Clip on, a type of motorcycle handlebar This… … Wikipedia
clip-on — clip ,on adjective only before noun fastening to something using a CLIP: a clip on tie … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
tie clasp — n. a decorative clasp for fastening a necktie to the shirt front: also tie clip or tie bar … English World dictionary
Tie clip — A selection of tie clips, mostly from the early to mid 20th century There have been many forms of tie control devised since the 19th century, when ties first became a regular part of fashion. Clips, chains, pins have all been used to do one… … Wikipedia
tie clasp — an ornamental metal clasp for securing the two ends of a necktie to a shirt front. Also called tie clip. * * * tie clip or tie clasp noun An ornamental clip which attaches one s tie to one s shirt • • • Main Entry: ↑tie * * * tie clasp or tie… … Useful english dictionary
Tie bar — A tie bar (also tie slide, tie clip, or tie clasp)cite web url=http://www.slate.com/id/2167134?nav=tap3 title=Here Lies the Tie Clip: An elegy for a great accessory. first=Paul last=Devlin date=2007 05 29 publisher=Slate] is a neckwear accessory… … Wikipedia
tie clip — noun a piece of jewelry that holds a man s tie in place • Hypernyms: ↑jewelry, ↑jewellery * * * tie clip or tie clasp noun An ornamental clip which attaches one s tie to one s shirt • • • Main Entry: ↑tie * * * … Useful english dictionary
clip-on — adjective Date: 1909 attached with a clip < a clip on tie > < clip on earrings > • clip on noun … New Collegiate Dictionary
clip-on — ADJ: ADJ n A clip on object is designed to be fastened to something by means of a clip. ...a clip on tie. ...a clip on light … English dictionary
clip-on — UK / US adjective [only before noun] fastening to something using a clip a clip on tie … English dictionary