- Guy Maddin
name = Guy Maddin
birthdate = Birth date and age|1956|2|28|mf=y
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Film director, producer and screenwriter.
Guy Maddin (born
February 28, 1956) is a Canadian screenwriterand director of both features and short films from Winnipeg, Manitoba. His most distinctive quality is his dogged persistence in recreating the look and style of silent or early sound era films which has solidified his popularity in niche-cinema and academic circles.
While Maddin strives to recreate the styles and moods of early film melodramas,
Weimar RepublicGerman silent films, and 1920s Soviet agit-prop, his own personal style lies in his use of clichés, psychosexual situations, bizarre stories and humor. Reminiscent of the early work of American director David Lynch, it is this self-conscious and surreal merging of early film-making techniques with a post-modernsensibility that give Maddin's films a style referred to as "Ultra-Conformist" or "Anti-Progressive", which sometimes occurs in culturally and geographically isolated Canadian cities. Luckily, continuing assistance from provincial and national Arts Councils as well as the Winnipeg Film Group aid in Maddin's pursuit in the making of art-house history.
His film education came not with any formal training at a trade school, or his experiences at the
University of Winnipeg, but with endless weekends of watching films with close friends John Paizs and Steve Snyder. Soon realizing that Paizs was making and performing in his own post-modern films and Snyder was teaching production at the University of Manitoba, Maddin eventually gave up an unsatisfying day-job as a bank-teller and decided that he needed to put his own knowledge to work and step behind the camera, in his case the popular Bolexhand-wound camera.
Maddin's first film was the Winnipeg Film Group assisted 1986 16mm
short film"The Dead Father". His first 16mm feature filmwas " Tales from the Gimli Hospital".
In 2007, Maddin became the first artist-curator of the
UCLA Film and Television Archive. In this position, he performs the programming for their new "Curated by..." series. [ [http://www.cinema.ucla.edu/calendar/calendardetails.aspx?details_type=2&id=223 Series Details ] ]
As of fall 2007, Maddin will be teaching film at the
University of Manitoba. Also in 2007, Maddin's film " My Winnipeg" won the Best Canadian Feature award at the Toronto International Film Festival. The haunting track used in the film is "Wonderful Winnipeg" by "The Swinging Strings" (vocal by Jim Wheeler) issued in 1967 on the Eagle Records label of Winnipeg. Super Oldies (www.superoldies.com) is issuing the track on an Eagle Records compilation CD in 2008.
Maddin's films are often set in his home town of
Winnipegand are usually set in abstract 20th century historical periods. Themes in Maddin's films frequently include unrequited love, murder, Soviet Russia, homoeroticism, incest, dismembermentand the workings of human impulse and subconscious.
* "Nude Caboose" (2006)
* "My Dad Is 100 Years Old" (2006, A portrait of
Roberto Rossellini, where he is depicted as a giant pillow tummy. Starring his daughter Isabella Rossellini)
* "Sissy Boy Slap Party (II)" (2004)
* "Sombra Dolorosa" (2004)
* "A Trip to the Orphanage" (2004)
* "Fancy, Fancy Being Rich" (2002)
The Heart of the World" (2000)
* "Fleshpots of Antiquity" (2000)
* "Hospital Fragment" (1999)
* "Maldoror: Tygers" (1998)
* "The Cock Crew" or "Love-Chaunt of the Chimney" (1998)
* "The Hoyden" or "Idylls of Womanhood" (1998)
* "Imperial Orgies" or "The Rabbi of Bacharach" (1996)
* "The Hands of Ida" (1995)
* "Sissy Boy Slap Party" or "The Coming Terror" (1995)
* "Odilon Redon" or "The Eye Like a Strange Balloon Mounts Toward Infinity" (1995,
Toronto International Film Festivalaward winner)
* "Sea Beggars" or "The Weaker Sex" (1994)
* "The Pomps of Satan" (1993)
* "Indigo High-Hatters" (1991)
* "Tyro" (1990)
* "BBB" (1989)
* "Mauve Decade" (1989)
* "The Dead Father" (1986)
* [http://www.filmreferencelibrary.ca/index.asp?layid=46&csid1=48&navid=46 Canadian Film Encyclopedia]
* [http://www.bravofact.com/results/index.asp?searchStatus=active&siteID=1&ANDOR=AND&searchText=maddin Bravo!FACT (Foundation to Assist Canadian Talent): four of Guy Maddin's shorts available for viewing online]
* [http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/03/maddin.html Senses of Cinema: Great Directors Critical Database]
* [http://www.citypages.com/databank/25/1209/article11862.asp Winnipeg's avant-garde auteur Guy Maddin comes in from the cold (2004)]
* [http://villagevoice.com/issues/0319/maddin.php Maddin's production diary for "The Saddest Music in the World"]
* [http://archives.cbc.ca/IDD-1-68-1420/arts_entertainment/Guy_Maddin/ CBC Digital Archives - Prairie Visionaries: Guy Maddin and the Winnipeg Film Group]
* [http://www.contemporary-magazine.com/interview63.htm Interview with Guy Maddin about "The Saddest Music in the World"]
* [http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/video.php?id=1608 Guy Maddin on The Hour]
* [http://www.altfg.com/blog/dvds/careful-by-guy-maddin/ DVD Review of Maddin's 1992 Film "Careful"] at [http://www.altfg.com/blog/ Alternative Film Guide]
* [http://www.premiere.com/features/4616/guy-maddins-docu-fantastia-my-winnipeg.html Guy Maddin's Docu-Fantastia: My Winnipeg, Premiere.com]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Guy Maddin — en 2008. Données clés Naissance 28 février … Wikipédia en Français
Guy Maddin — auf der Berlinale 2011 Guy Maddin, OM (* 28. Februar 1956 in Winnipeg, Manitoba) ist ein kanadischer Regisseur und Drehbuchautor. Die besondere Qualität Guy Maddins ist seine Vorliebe dafür, den Stil und die Ästhetik von alten … Deutsch Wikipedia
Guy Maddin — (nacido el 28 de febrero de 1956) es un guionista y director de cine canadiense. Es distinguido y apreciado por su original recreación de la estética del cine mudo y del primer cine sonoro. Se le ha llamado el D … Wikipedia Español
Maddin — steht für: Umgangssprachliche Namensform von Martin Martin Schneider (* 1964), deutscher Komiker, Kabarettist und Schauspieler. Familienname folgender Personen: Guy Maddin (* 1956), kanadischer Regisseur und Drehbuchautor … Deutsch Wikipedia
Winnipeg mon amour — Données clés Titre original My Winnipeg Réalisation Guy Maddin Scénario Guy Maddin et George Toles Acteurs principaux Guy Maddin (narration), Ann Savage Sociétés de p … Wikipédia en Français
The Heart of the World — Infobox Film name = The Heart of the World caption = amg id = 1:260389 imdb id = 0260948 director = Guy Maddin producer = Niv Fichman Jody Shapiro writers = Guy Maddin starring = Leslie Bais Caelum Vatnsdal Shaun Balbar music = Georgy Vasilevich… … Wikipedia
Night Mayor — Directed by Guy Maddin Produced by Joe MacDonald Lindsay Hamel Written by Guy Maddin Music by Jason Staczek … Wikipedia
The Saddest Music in the World — Infobox Film name = The Saddest Music in the World amg id = 1:293229 imdb id = 0366996 writer = Original Story: Kazuo Ishiguro Screenplay: Guy Maddin George Toles starring = Isabella Rossellini Mark McKinney Maria de Medeiros David Fox Ross… … Wikipedia
My Winnipeg — Filmdaten Deutscher Titel My Winnipeg Produktionsland Kanada … Deutsch Wikipedia
My Winnipeg — Directed by Guy Maddin Produced by Phyllis Laing Jody Shapiro … Wikipedia