- Quantum information science
Quantum information science concerns information science that depends on quantum effects in physics. It includes theoretical issues in computational models as well as more experimental topics in quantum physics including what can and cannot be done with
quantum information. The term quantum information theory is sometimes used, but it fails to encompass experimental research in the area.
* Quantum computing, which deals on the one hand with the question how and whether one can build a
quantum computerand on the other hand, searching algorithmsthat harness its power (see quantum algorithm)
* Quantum computational complexity
Quantum cryptographyand its generalization, quantum communication
Quantum error correction
Quantum communication complexity
Quantum entanglement, as seen from an information-theoretic point of view Quantum teleportationis one well-known quantum information processing operation which reliably transfers an unknown quantum state from one point to another distant point, destroying the original state in the process.
* Nielsen, M.A. and Chuang, I.L. "Quantum computation and quantum information". Cambridge University Press, 2000.
* [http://www.quantiki.org Quantiki] – quantum information science portal and wiki.
* [http://www.physicscommunity.org/index.php?title=Quantum_Information_Science_Gateway Quantum Information Science Gateway] from
The Physics Community
* [http://qist.ect.it ERA-Pilot QIST WP1] European roadmap on Quantum Information Processing and Communication
* [http://www.imperial.ac.uk/quantuminformation QIIC] – Quantum Information, Imperial College London.
* [http://www.qi.leeds.ac.uk/ QIP] – Quantum Information Group, University of Leeds. The quantum information group at the University of Leeds is engaged in researching a wide spectrum of aspects of quantum information. This ranges from algorithms, quantum computation, to physical implementations of information processing and fundamental issues in quantum mechanics. Also contains some basic tutorials for the lay audience.
* [http://cqist.usc.edu/ CQIST] Center for Quantum Information Science & Technology at the University of Southern California
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Quantum information — For the journal with this title, see Historical Social Research. In quantum mechanics, quantum information is physical information that is held in the state of a quantum system. The most popular unit of quantum information is the qubit, a two… … Wikipedia
Michael Nielsen (quantum information theorist) — Michael A. Nielsen (born January 4 1974) is a writer living just outside Toronto, Canada. Before, he was an academic in physics. He worked at the Los Alamos National Laboratory, as the Richard Chace Tolman Prize Fellow at Caltech, was Foundation… … Wikipedia
Quantum entanglement — Quantum mechanics Uncertainty principle … Wikipedia
Quantum optics — is a field of research in physics, dealing with the application of quantum mechanics to phenomena involving light and its interactions with matter. History of quantum optics Light is made up of particles called photons and hence inherently is… … Wikipedia
Quantum decoherence — Quantum mechanics Uncertainty principle … Wikipedia
Quantum cryptography — Quantum cryptography, or quantum key distribution (QKD), uses quantum mechanics to guarantee secure communication. It enables two parties to produce a shared random bit string known only to them, which can be used as a key to encrypt and decrypt… … Wikipedia
Quantum mechanics — For a generally accessible and less technical introduction to the topic, see Introduction to quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics … Wikipedia
Quantum computer — A quantum computer is a device for computation that makes direct use of distinctively quantum mechanical phenomena, such as superposition and entanglement, to perform operations on data. In a classical (or conventional) computer, information is… … Wikipedia
Information theory — Not to be confused with Information science. Information theory is a branch of applied mathematics and electrical engineering involving the quantification of information. Information theory was developed by Claude E. Shannon to find fundamental… … Wikipedia
Quantum teleportation — Quantum teleportation, or entanglement assisted teleportation, is a technique used to transfer information on a quantum level, usually from one particle (or series of particles) to another particle (or series of particles) in another location via … Wikipedia