Bishops Lydeard railway station


Bishops Lydeard railway station

Infobox UK station



caption=Bishops Lydeard station, platform 2. Many of the visitors facilities are here, including the ticket office and shop. The locomotive is British Railways 4MT 2-6-4T tank no. 80136, built in 1958
name=Bishops Lydeard
manager=West Somerset Railway
code =
locale=Bishops Lydeard
borough=Taunton Deane, Somerset
lowusage0405=
platforms=3

Bishops Lydeard railway station is a railway station on the West Somerset Railway, a heritage railway in Somerset, United Kingdom, and serves as the normal southern terminus for the operations of the railway. The station is situated in the village of Bishops Lydeard.

History

The station was first opened in 1862 when the line from Norton Fitzwarren to Watchet was opened. Until the West Somerset Railway was closed under the Beeching Axe, it was a typical village station part way along a branch line. However, as the southern terminus for most operations of the line, it has had to be transformed into a busy terminus station.

Facilities

The station currently has three platforms. Platform 2 is the longest platform and contains most of the visitors facilities, including the ticket office and shop. The station is the headquarters of the West Somerset Railway Association, and the "Quantock Belle" dining car train is also based here. A loco-servicing depot is situated at the Taunton end of the Station. The old goods shed is restored as a museum/visitor centre. In the museum, there are many artefacts, dating back to the 1800s. In addition, the museum includes a GWR sleeping car and a large model railway layout.

ervices

###@@@KEYEND@@@###

External links

[http://www.wsr.org.uk/bl.htm Bishops Lydeard Station on www.wsr.org.uk]


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.